Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature Request: Do not call Explorer.exe directly (Read 12049 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Do not call Explorer.exe directly

I use litestep for my shell and every time Fb2k opens a folder, it opens explorer as my shell before it opens the folder view

My request is to make the command to open a folder configurable

Reply #1
+1
Personally I never use Windows Explorer, since it's heavy and uncomfortable to my taste. A configurable file explorer option seems like a great idea.

Reply #2
u can use foo_run.dll for this, I used to use it with total commander. Can be used with any program which can use parameters.

Reply #3
I am not looking for add functionality, I want to change the native functionality

Reply #4
How do you propose it handle folders? I assume it already uses the native file associations by calling ShellExecute on them.

Reply #5
How do you propose it handle folders? I assume it already uses the native file associations by calling ShellExecute on them.

I could be wrong, but I believe it calls explorer.exe directly

Error Dialog
Process properties showing command line

When I open a run dialog and type 'F:\' it opens it without opening the explorer shell
I get the same result in VBScript if I create a Shell Object and use .Run "F:\"

Reply #6
maybe its doing something like this

where it highlights the file that you're opening?  from the way that thread reads, explorer is the only way to select the file in the folder.

Reply #7
My mistake, that's exactly what it's doing.

Reply #8
I second this request.

I'm using explorer, but the /e switch opens the folder with the treeview, which I never use. It's quite annoying to have to close it each time.

Reply #9
As mentioned use foo_run which allows you to set up your own "Open Containing folder" item, then just remove the native one.

Until the core functionality changes this is your only option I'm afraid.

The easy solution is to put the executable path foobar2000 uses for this as an advanced option. Make the string configurable.
PS! And also to expand all tree items on the advanced configuration page by default.

Reply #10
It seems to like to cause second instances of explorer.exe to run which drives me nuts, as well as not re-using existing windows when they are the same folder.

Doesn't even seem to be a fully qualified path, you can put any executable named explorer.exe in your foobar2000 folder with funny results..

What's wrong with SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems?

Reply #11
another vote for this to be configurable, it could do multiple thingies as well, example:
- display in right pane of active total commander window
- paste to clipboard
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #12
What's wrong with SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems?

Wasn't available on some of target operating systems at the time relevant code was written. Thanks for the tip, I'll use this function instead.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #13
Thank you