Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SACD vs. DVD-Audio (Read 57960 times) previous topic - next topic

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #50
And here are the files for you to do DBT:
I'd put two files at my server with 30kHz and 15kHz FR limits.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236598"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is the relevance of ABXing a 15kHz low pass? Is it just to demonstrate that a previous experiment (which showed a 15kHZ low pass was inaudible) was wrong? I don't think we need to prove that again - there are enough threads already! Anyway, the experiment wasn't wrong - it showed that those listeners with those equipment listening to that particular sound couldn't detect a 15kHZ low pass filter. It's almost irrelevant to high quality music listening - drawing the conclusion that 15kHZ was enough for music was a false conclusion, but it's the applied logic that's faulty, not the scientific results.

As for the CD/SACD/DVD argument, none of them use a lowpass of 15kHz, so again, what are you trying to prove here?

Cheers,
David.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236638"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ineed. Apparently, when I presented these references to Alex, he assumiing I am making some sort of claim that a low pass ignal of 15khz can not be detected by anyone. The people who collaborated for the design of RBCD standard, who used this test for important considerations, went ahead and added a possible 7kHz additional bandwidth, just for a margin of error. Apparently, the scientists who developed RBCD were not as ignorant as some people like to think they were..... :-)

-Chris

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #51
If you believe that, then consider it already broken. Their have been numerous 'tests' that established audibility WITHOUT closely analysing the source signal, ampllfiers, transducer distortions.....

If it is "broken", why do you use it as the argumentation then? To show that it was enough and with additional 7kHz "margin of errors" is "more then enough"?
Well, you seemed to not like the idea of non music signals. So with that NHK lab test using music signals, you can't use that as an objection.

I like any signal, but music signal is the most revealing (IMO). We will talk about NHK tests a bit later.
No, we don't know. That's the point. We don't know what differences(errors) the filter may have caused in the software(careful analysis of test waveforms needs to be performed first, in the software before/after this filtering), the possibility of hardware distortion(transducers will very probably do this if the ultrasonic amplitude is anywhere near the ampllitude of the audible band content, see earlier referenced Griesenger presentation), possibility of error by person prepping the file(s), etc.

Why if we use the same path we can't just compare two signals?
I have no intention of ABXing the files you presented(becuase of the above reasons), but I did download and the first thing I noticed is that you already made one error. ONe file is mono, while the other is stereo. Errors are easy to make. An error free test is very difficult to pull off. That's why I don't give much respect to such loosely controlled tests such as your trying to perform. No where near the level of controls are being used to near scientific validity.

Sorry for that, I was making different experiments with the files and downloaded one from the wrong directory - it is replaced with the correct one already.
But it changes nothing. Definitely no need to ABX anything if we agreed that we hear the difference between the signals with the full spectrum and ones with 15kHz spectrum. It means 15kHz limitation is not enough, right? Then the next step is - do we hear the difference between 35Khz full spectrum signal and the signal, limited at 22kHz, right? Isn't it the point of discussion?

What is the relevance of ABXing a 15kHz low pass? Is it just to demonstrate that a previous experiment (which showed a 15kHZ low pass was inaudible) was wrong? I don't think we need to prove that again - there are enough threads already! Anyway, the experiment wasn't wrong - it showed that those listeners with those equipment listening to that particular sound couldn't detect a 15kHZ low pass filter. It's almost irrelevant to high quality music listening - drawing the conclusion that 15kHZ was enough for music was a false conclusion, but it's the applied logic that's faulty, not the scientific results.
As for the CD/SACD/DVD argument, none of them use a lowpass of 15kHz, so again, what are you trying to prove here?

OK, I am a newbie here and don't know what you proved and discussed already. I didn't say that it was wrong - the results of it can't be used for music signals today, that's it. Concerning SACD and DVD-A, we definitely don't use 15kHz, now do you think that 24/44.1 or 24/48 is enough for High-quality audio, and we don't need 24/96 or 24/192?

I'm not impressed by the grammar of the claim , and even less by the lack of scientific listening data in that white paper.  No description of listening test methods, controls, qiuantiation and statistiical analysis of results...just a dubious claim that 'warmth, speed (!) and smoothness were the key words described by members of the listening panel'.  I already told you what my criteria for convincing comparison reports are..this doesn't even come close. 
So, so far, neither of your links supports your claim, AFAIK.

OK, then forget about it  We don't have the correctly documented scientific researches concerning difference in audibility of op amps, AFAIK, therefore nothing else will satisfy you. I can understand and accept you scientific approach - everything which is not confirmed scientifically and correctly documentated, doesn't exist  All people who got their devices modified, just fool themself with the difference in audibility, because they have no scientific confirmation about it, right?
Depends on what the modification is, and what the evidence is for audible difference.  They deserve respect as far as their claims are supported by good reasoning and empirical evidence, no more, no less. It's quite possible -- I've seen it many times -- that smart people can believe wrong things as well as right things ...hey, it's happened to me once or twice too.   Chris Johnson, I am familiar with, and he *generally* takes care to support his claims....but I've also seen him get into some huge wars with objectivists over on RAHE overs some of his claims.   Have any of htse people reported results of listening tests for particular mods?
None of them is "correctly documented", therefore they don't exist. 
Page doesn't open.. does it report properly done listening tests?

Unfortunately, no - then you don't need it, right?  Try it again - http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/audio_...20amplifier.pdf
Measurably differences do not necessarily translate into audible ones.  That's a foundational concept in thisforum... which is why , here, unlike 99% of forums about audio, claims of audible difference have to be
backed up by proper empiricial tests.

Explain to me the condition of "properly done listening tests" ... especially taking in consideration that for my wife and my son there is no difference between a boombox and HT system in sounding ... Get 100 of such people and you will have 0 difference in audibility in "properly documented listening tests", then let's all use boomboxes? My son can't hear the difference (both are satisfactory for him, he just doesn't care) between the regular CD quality and CD, created from 64kb/s WMA file ... Audible difference is a subjective matter ... you can get some statistical information, but it is not relative to the abilities of personality to hear the difference ...Add difference of abilities in the multi-channel listening situation.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #52
I can understand and accept you scientific approach - everything which is not confirmed scientifically and correctly documentated, doesn't exist   All people who got their devices modified, just fool themself with the difference in audibility, because they have no scientific confirmation about it, right?

It is not a matter of scientific approach, it is a matter of forum rules

Explain to me the condition of "properly done listening tests"

It's in the FAQ. Direct link : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=11442

EDIT : actually, it doesn't explain the conditions... I'll post something detailed within two weeks.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #53
I can understand and accept you scientific approach - everything which is not confirmed scientifically and correctly documentated, doesn't exist   All people who got their devices modified, just fool themself with the difference in audibility, because they have no scientific confirmation about it, right?

Thank you, Sir. I had been invited to this forum by krabapple to discuss the article. It looks that I have to stay in AVS forum, their rules are more suitable for me, as I am not a scientist. I simply like to make some assumptions and discuss them with knowledgeable people, therefore this forum with it's rules is not for me.
The rules of it doesn't even allow to discuss the modification of devices or any DIY experience without the DBT ...
It's in the FAQ. Direct link : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=11442
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #54
Within the HA forum rules, you're allowed to quote measurements, describe objective improvements, and speculate.

What you can't do is say that "this sounds better" without ABXing the difference.

The placeabo effect is just too strong to do things any other way. As has been proven thousands of times.

btw, the author of the paper you've linked to, Malcolm Hawksford, was my PhD tutor. If I learnt anything from him (and I learnt a lot - I hope!), it's that nothing is perfect, and the basic circuit theory that most people are taught is full of simplifications that hide all the faults!

In general, he thought that the weakest link in the audio system was often the recording itself.

We both heard and commented on some very bad and very good "high resolution" (i.e. DVD-A or SACD) demonstrations. The best was this one from David Chesky.

Cheers,
David.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #55
Within the HA forum rules, you're allowed to quote measurements, describe objective improvements, and speculate.
What you can't do is say that "this sounds better" without ABXing the difference.
The placeabo effect is just too strong to do things any other way. As has been proven thousands of times.

100% agree with that. But if we can't say "it sounds better" it doesn't mean that such a difference can't be existent, right? It can be present, just has not been confirmed by DBT yet.
btw, the author of the paper you've linked to, Malcolm Hawksford, was my PhD tutor. If I learnt anything from him (and I learnt a lot - I hope!), it's that nothing is perfect, and the basic circuit theory that most people are taught is full of simplifications that hide all the faults!

Very interesting! I wonder why he didn't add the measurements for the circuit with DF stage in that article ... the requirements to op amp are significantly lower in that case, AFAIK.
In general, he thought that the weakest link in the audio system was often the recording itself.

Yes and no ... IMO. We still have 48kHz DSP processing in majority of AV processors, receivers and DVD players, cheap old DACs, noisy clocks, cheap slow op amps with high level of distortions, etc.  ... "Often" - is a right word
We both heard and commented on some very bad and very good "high resolution" (i.e. DVD-A or SACD) demonstrations. The best was this one from David Chesky.
Thanks, David, this is quite useful information.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #56
100% agree with that. But if we can't say "it sounds better" it doesn't mean that such a difference can't be existent, right? It can be present, just has not been confirmed by DBT yet.

The probability that an actual difference is not found in a DBT is determined by its type II error, which is dependent not only on the parameters of the test but also on what percentage of the population can distinguish a difference.

Just plugging in some numbers into ff123's spreadsheet, I haven't really done this math myself: For type 1 error of 5%, type 2 error of 10%, and 50% of the hifi "population" capable of telling a difference in a blind test, one needs ~31 listeners. This, coincidentally (or not?), is roughly equal to the number of NHK respondents (33). If one then assumes that only a fraction of the population (say, 1%) can tell a difference in a blind test, the number of required respondents for type 2 error=10% jumps to 85,634.

Now, at that point one may still be able to argue that high-res audio still has a use for those 1% of listeners who can tell a difference - but in my opinion, nobody in the audio business is really arguing that high-res is only something for golden ears to care about. They are claiming "obvious" benefits that should be audible by just about anybody - so to validate their claims, assuming 50% of the population can hear the difference really does seem like a reasonable value.

Besides, all this is nearly a moot point when there are vastly more important things to worry about with improving sound quality. Even if there is a difference, the existing blind testing results on DVD-A- and SACD-class audio all but confirm to me that room noise, speaker quality, multichannel output (and improving soundstage in general), sound card noise, power line noise, hearing damage from concerts, and alcohol and caffeine intake are going to affect perceived sound quality far more than 24 bits of audio or 96khz of sampling rate ever will.

Yes and no ... IMO. We still have 48kHz DSP processing in majority of AV processors, receivers and DVD players, cheap old DACs, noisy clocks, cheap slow op amps with high level of distortions, etc.  ... "Often" - is a right word

I can agree with you that high-res audio may still have a good use in the production studio, but only really in the context of post processing. While unmolested 16-bit 44.1k redbook may be enough quality for everybody under normal listening conditions, it is plausible to perform operations on track recordings during production that could make quantization and low bandwidth audible - for instance, any sort of deliberate intermodulation, whether in software or as a result of, say, a guitar amp or speaker. A contrived example, yes, but it could happen.

And it's very easy to lose several bits of precision in internal processing - I suspect that's the biggest reason why foobar uses a double-precision processing path. But that doesn't directly relate to low sampling rate issues.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #57
From my point of view, the SACD and DVD-audio formats were created to satisfy the peoples' need to improve things, seeking the "perfect" sollution for everything possible. It's the way of mankind, people love to have "better" cars, "better" TVs, "better" mobile phones etc.

Quite different thing is whether they (people) really need those "better" things. Marketing departments can make sure they "need" those "better" things. Everyone has a CD player at home, so the CD-player manufacturers must fight the market recession to survive. They fight it by introducing new and "better" audio formats which require new and "better" equipment (this is a very general recipe). So if you wish to listen to those "better-than-CD" SACDs, you must go and pay $s. Then, everyone is "happy", you got that "better" equipment and bought that SACDs (you can't make your own copies, of course) and feel your life-level just went up. Equipment and media manufacturers just beaten the hard-earned bucks out of you and they are sure happy, too.

This is why (according to the previous posts) the recording companies engineer SACDs "better" than regular CDs. If you can't tell the difference between CD and SACD yourself, they must "help" you feel the difference, "help" you decide to buy SACDs and the appropriate equipment...

CDs used to sound up much better than casettes when they were introduced as does SACD sound up "better" than CD now. But what became of CDs? 90 per cent of the new CDs are just commercial crap (if not by content, then sure by engineering) so what is it likely to become of SACD? ...

I don't mock the technical progress, but if it is primarily intended to beat more money out of people (like the mobile-phone development), then something is bad...

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #58
Damn right, Martel. And its also a waste of resources, since those resources which are spent on pushing something which may be "better" but which no enduser needs, could as well be used to improve something of which indeed people would benefit.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #59
Don't lose sight of the fact that DVD-A allows 6-chanel lossless surround sound, amazing interactivity including lyrics, photos, commentary/karaoke/alternate mixes, longer playing time etc. As well as allowing basic 2-or-6-channel non-interactive playback from the same disc.

Unfortunately, these things are rarely exploited to the full or even implemented properly - but if they were, this would be a product that would really benefit people.

I saw some of the early DVD-A demos, and the intention of the creators was clearly to give people something that was of benefit. Interestingly, at the demonstration I attended, the real "wow" wasn't the high quality surround sound, or even the pretty graphics - it was a disc with the lyrics on screen where you could click a line of the lyrics to be taken instantly to that part of the disc. As the disc played through, each line was highlighted as it was sung, and you could easily skip to any part of the song by clicking the appropriate lyric. A great novelty for pop music, and genuinely useful if you're studying an opera or something similar.

This was before many people had music on their PCs, and before DeCSS and CPRM(?) etc delayed the DVD-A launch.

Of course the industry loves a new format so they can sell you all the same music again. Of course the industry loves a new format so they can sell you a new player. And of course, these days, the industry tries to make each format more "secure" than the last. But the actual inventors were obviously music and audio fans, wanting to take advantage of the latest technology to push the boundaries of audio reproduction, to allow people to enjoy music more.

Not everything in this world has to be a conspiracy theory!

Cheers,
David.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #60
OK, then forget about it  We don't have the correctly documented scientific researches concerning difference in audibility of op amps, AFAIK, therefore nothing else will satisfy you. I can understand and accept you scientific approach - everything which is not confirmed scientifically and correctly documentated, doesn't exist 

This sounds a bit petulant of you.  Actually , it's simply not proved to exist.  Listener bias , alas, has been proved to exist.    I'm sorry science is so irrititating in the way it attempts to ascertain the *true* answer, rather than the *most comforting* one.

All people who got their devices modified, just fool themself with the difference in audibility, because they have no scientific confirmation about it, right?

It's interesting that 'audiophiles' have so little faith in the fallibility of human belief....when the historical evidence is overwhleming that masses of people can convince themselves of *all sorts* of objectively untenable things,

In other words, yes, it's certainly possible that they are fooling themselves.  People have fooled themselves over much more serious matters.  The common tendency of people to fool themselves, is of course why controls *exist* in science.

None of them is 'correctly document', therefore they don't exist

They aren't well-documented, so there is a lack of good proof of their existence.  There is also a reasonable alternative explanation that has not been ruled out.

Page doesn't open.. does it report properly done listening tests?
Unfortunately, no - then you don't need it, right?

Quite right... anecdote + anecdote + faulty reasoning from anecdote,  does not equal proof. 

Measurably differences do not necessarily translate into audible ones.  That's a foundational concept in thisforum... which is why , here, unlike 99% of forums about audio, claims of audible difference have to be
backed up by proper empiricial tests.

Explain to me the condition of "properly done listening tests" ... especially taking in consideration that for my wife and my son there is no difference between a boombox and HT system in sounding ...

Please see the FAQs for this forum, regarding well-done audio comparisons. 

Get 100 of such people and you will have 0 difference in audibility in "properly documented listening tests", then let's all use boomboxes?

I'm actually more interested in having the same people who claim to hear difference, repeat *their* results under bias-controlled conditions.  The issue of variability of hearing between subjects is a red herring in this case, though of course it needs to be considered before making a *general* claim of 'no difference'. 
it is much less an issue, when one is simply testing the person who made the claim in the first place.

My son can't hear the difference (both are satisfactory for him, he just doesn't care) between the regular CD quality and CD, created from 64kb/s WMA file ... Audible difference is a subjective matter ...

But not untestable.  A specific claim by a specific claimant, can be tested.  And from a properly done series of tests on that person, we can conclude within a specified level of confidence, whether or not a difference was really heard by that person.  If you similarl;y test a large enough sample of such people, and the results are comparable, you could reasonably genearlize the conclusion to a population.  This is elementary statistics.

Note again that it's not just about variation in hearing...it's also about the existence of listener bias. Both phenomena exist.

you can get some statistical information, but it is not relative to the abilities of personality to hear the difference ...

Then test the person who claims to hear the difference, under bias-controlled conditions.    None of these websites seemed to be willing to report the results of that fundamental step.

No one questions that difference in hearing ability exist.  But that doesn't address the problem of listener bias.  It only addresses the general applicability of any given test.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #61

Thank you, Sir. I had been invited to this forum by krabapple to discuss the article. It looks that I have to stay in AVS forum, their rules are more suitable for me, as I am not a scientist. I simply like to make some assumptions and discuss them with knowledgeable people, therefore this forum with it's rules is not for me.
The rules of it doesn't even allow to discuss the modification of devices or any DIY experience without the DBT ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236762"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I invited you here because I knew that you'd get high-quality feedback on how to proceed in your research.  That high-quality is largely due to the enforcement of stringent 'objective' standards for claims...it keeps the signal high and the noise low.  You'd be hard pressed to find a set of people more knowledgeable on how to verify the existence of an audible difference, this side of a psychoacoustics lab. There's also more than a few apparently competent engineering types here.

Now, if we could only get Nika Aldrich (sp) to join the thread ...  that guy ran the best damn 48 vs 96kHz discussion I've ever seen on the Internet.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #62
I invited you here because I knew that you'd get high-quality feedback on how to proceed in your research.  That high-quality is largely due to the enforcement of stringent 'objective' standards for claims...it keeps the signal high and the noise low.   You'd be hard pressed to find a set of people more knowledgeable on how to verify the existence of an audible difference, this side of a psychoacoustics lab. There's also more than a few apparently competent engineering types here.
Now, if we could only get Nika Aldrich (sp) to join the thread ...  that guy ran the best damn 48 vs 96kHz discussion I've ever seen on the Internet.

I've got some really interesting information to think about, guys. This is just an assumption, but it could logically explain the difference between the results of Oohashi's experiment  http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/...&resourcetype=1 and  NHK Labs results http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/publica/labnote/lab486.html
Two Russian scientists, Ph.D. Norbekov http://www.norbekovusa.com/index.asp?cat=102617 and Bronnikov http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/oct1/bronnkov.htm
confirmed the human's ability to accept audio (Norbekov, children with damaged hearing abilities started to hear) and visual information (Bronnikov, blind people started to see) using our unconscious mind abilities ...
It means that if NHK labs measured hearing abilities, or conscious mind response, and Oohashi measured the brain activity (i.e. unconscious mind reaction), they could get the different results. Russian M.D. Valery Sinelnikov (Psychology specialization) thinks that we can perceive significantly wider range of audio frequencies by unconscious feelings, and the same for visual range of frequencies ... our limitations to 20Hz-20kHz and 380-680 mmk are relative to our conscious sources of information.
I know you don't like any assumptions here,  but may be someone has more information to confirm  this?

In addition an interesting article of Andrew Hon is here: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ashon/audio/Ultrasonics.htm

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #63

The probability that an actual difference is not found in a DBT is determined by its type II error, which is dependent not only on the parameters of the test but also on what percentage of the population can distinguish a difference.

Just plugging in some numbers into ff123's spreadsheet, I haven't really done this math myself: For type 1 error of 5%, type 2 error of 10%, and 50% of the hifi "population" capable of telling a difference in a blind test, one needs ~31 listeners. This, coincidentally (or not?), is roughly equal to the number of NHK respondents (33). If one then assumes that only a fraction of the population (say, 1%) can tell a difference in a blind test, the number of required respondents for type 2 error=10% jumps to 85,634.

The null hypothesis for an ABX test is H0:p<=0.5. This corresponds to H1:p>0.5. This is important to emphasize.

You are making the assumption (unproven and in my view fallacious) that every individual in the population falls in one of two categories (called two-kinds-of-listeners threshold model): those with p=1 and those with p<=0.5. The null hypothesis for a p=1 listener in an individual ABX test would be H0:p<1. How many ABX tests performed on this site (or elsewhere) would reject H01:p<=0.5, but would fail to reject this tougher H02:p<1? Heck they would actually accept H02.

A real example (courtesy of pio2001): 27/40. At significance level 0.05 you can reject H01:p<=0.5, so accept H11:p>0.5, and you can also reject H12:p=1, which means you must accept H02:p<1. Thus you must accept H1c:05<p<1. What does that tell you about the two-kinds-of-listeners model? pio2001 fits in neither category (for that sample). So we have a counterexample. That doesn’t mean much in statistical terms, but keep looking, you’ll find plenty of ABX results that accept H1c. Are they all the result of chance? If you want to prove your two-kinds-of-listeners assumption, you’d have to prove that they are!

IMO p=1 may be true for night-and-day kind of differences, but certainly not for subtle audio differences. Your power calculations are only correct under this two-kinds-of-listeners assumption! Do you really think that the highly controversial ultrasonic content is night-and-day kind of difference?

You are also making the assumption that each individual performed exactly one trial. This is not what happened in the NHK experiment, which was a partially repeated measures design, and somewhat flawed in how results were analyzed. This discussion is getting very OT, so I’ll start another thread under listening tests.
The earth is round (P < 0.05).  -- Cohen J., 1994

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #64
It means that if NHK labs measured hearing abilities, or conscious mind response, and Oohashi measured the brain activity (i.e. unconscious mind reaction), they could get the different results.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244970"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The NHK test did not get any significant results. They did not prove or disprove anything! The good news is that they realize it:

"... we can still neither confirm nor deny the possibility that some subjects could discriminate between musical sounds with and without very high frequency components."

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #65
IMO p=1 may be true for night-and-day kind of differences, but certainly not for subtle audio differences. Your power calculations are only correct under this two-kinds-of-listeners assumption! Do you really think that the highly controversial ultrasonic content is night-and-day kind of difference?

Well, the context of my reply was that "night and day" is exactly what audiophytes are claiming, and it would be a start to show that this is not the case, that it must necessarily be at most a very subtle effect. IOW, in order to disprove the argument "SACD/DVDA is obviously better than CD for all listeners", all that is necessary to disprove is H3:p>0.9 or so for a group of trained listeners, and especially under a two-kinds-of-listeners model (which everybody seemed to be operating under anyways). That alone would deflate a lot of people's arguments for hires....

I'd rather not get into the details of a proper statistical test, because as far as I know, one would need to test for roughly 0.5<p<0.55 which is obviously hard. It seems a lot more economical to, instead of conduct a statistical test for audibility, just find somebody for which the difference is audible. I don't think that such a person has been conclusively found yet.
You are also making the assumption that each individual performed exactly one trial. This is not what happened in the NHK experiment, which was a partially repeated measures design, and somewhat flawed in how results were analyzed. This discussion is getting very OT, so I’ll start another thread under listening tests.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253676"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Understood.

SACD vs. DVD-Audio

Reply #66

Well, the context of my reply was that "night and day" is exactly what audiophytes are claiming, and it would be a start to show that this is not the case, that it must necessarily be at most a very subtle effect. IOW, in order to disprove the argument "SACD/DVDA is obviously better than CD for all listeners", all that is necessary to disprove is H3:p>0.9 or so for a group of trained listeners, and especially under a two-kinds-of-listeners model (which everybody seemed to be operating under anyways). That alone would deflate a lot of people's arguments for hires....

Point taken. The night-and-day should be easy to bust and/or prove, assuming the "day" part of the poplation is not a single digit percentage.

I'd rather not get into the details of a proper statistical test, because as far as I know, one would need to test for roughly 0.5<p<0.55 which is obviously hard. It seems a lot more economical to, instead of conduct a statistical test for audibility, just find somebody for which the difference is audible. I don't think that such a person has been conclusively found yet.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253917"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He, he, self-proclaimed golden ears abound, but DBTs seem to make them shy away.