Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2214622 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #4000
That sounds like the component isn't installed correctly. Have a look in the components list in preferences and try installing it from there (point it at the extracted DLL).

Reply #4001
YES! That was it! Thanks so much!

Reply #4002
No problem.

Reply #4003
Hello there!

First of all, the iPod manager is a great thing, thank you for developing it! It always worked very well with my girlfriends iPod, but now i tried it with an iPod shuffle 4G (present) and i got this error message : Failed to query device properties. Write operations are disabled.

When i checked my properties i got this:
Model: iPod Shuffle 4G Blue
Serial Number: CC4H153TDFDP
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Battery Status: Charging
Raw Battery Data: 0 / 3 / 99

Drive Total Capacity: 1,88 GB
Drive Free Space: 1,28 GB

So it seems like foobar CAN read the ipod's properties.

Any clues what's wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Reply #4004
Thanks!

It might be that your iPod has a USB product ID (PID) that iPod manager doesn't recognise. Could you post the contents of the foobar2000 console after plugging the iPod shuffle in?

Also, if you hold down Shift, click on File and then iPod/Raw properties, does it output anything?

Reply #4005
I began getting the "Failed to locate function AMDeviceRetain" message everytime foobar2000 starts. Any idea why it does that?

Reply #4006
The function is no longer present in one of the Apple libraries used by the component, based on your description.

What version of iTunes do you have? Do you use 32- or 64-bit Windows? Do you actually have an iOS device?

If you don't have an iOS device, you can turn off mobile device support in iPod manager preferences.

Reply #4007
I have the latest version of iTunes, Windows 10 32 bits and an ipod classic. I guess that the ipod classic is not an "iOS device"?

Reply #4008
Not to mention that this component is, from what I remember, not compatible with the latest iTunes. Or even any iTunes that has been "latest" for the past few years, at least.

Reply #4009
I guess that the ipod classic is not an "iOS device"?
Nope, so just turn off 'Enable mobile device support' and the error will go away.

Reply #4010
Oh, didn't notice you were still replying to this particular topic. Sorry if I overstepped with that assumption about unsupported runtime.

Reply #4012
Excuse my ignorance if there's an obvious answer to this question, but is there any way to use the metadata mapping in the iPod manager to get an iPod classic to sort by the album artist tag instead of just the artist tag? I was trying to read up on stuff in the features documentation, but I was getting a little confused.

Reply #4013
As long as the files have the appropriate "iTunes Compilation" tag set on them, the iPod firmware should default to the Album Artist and Album for sorting those files. See this thread for further information: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,31211.0.html

Reply #4014
As long as the files have the appropriate "iTunes Compilation" tag set on them, the iPod firmware should default to the Album Artist and Album for sorting those files. See this thread for further information: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,31211.0.html

But that would mean I need to make sure I add the iTunes compilation tag on every album I'm having a problem with, right? Wouldn't it easier in the long run if I just left it up to automation and somehow got the iPod to sort by album artist?

edit: Just checked with albums I already had with the compilation tag, and it also brings up the problem that they no longer appear in the "artist" section of the iPod, so it kind of defeats the whole purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Reply #4015
The compilation flag probably won't do what you want on the iPod classic (unless behaviour has changed since then).

(It's still worth noting that you can control which tracks are flagged as being part of a compilation using the compilation remapping in preferences.)

One option is to remap artist to album artist and put the track artist in the track title (when the album artist and artist metadata fields differ). See:
https://wiki.yuo.be/dop:start#how_can_i_make_my_ipod_display_album_artists_in_place_of_track_artists

(After changing the remappings, you'll need to use the 'Load library' command and then right-click on the relevant tracks and select 'iPod/Update metadata'.)

Reply #4016
I have iPod 4G(16gb) and my music in it is from somewhere 2009-2011 or so. Now I tried first time use fb to put some new music in it and of course it didn't work. When I dl'd library to pc's direction to fb, those albums which I added worked there but then in iPod use alone, they didn't worked. Player just skipped every song one by one.

Is it really so that song cannot have longer names, cause plugin always complain something about too long address etc, that's kinda stupid when in iTunes/iPod use there's no limitations in that. How you get addresses/names short enough to work? And that also prevent to put folders including music, that just give that "too long..."-message.

And I have to say that I don't totally understand that basic instruction about that you have to first put files to your device and choose them from there and then add them with fb to iPod's library. If I do that, I get duplicates from every song, and in the end they still doesn't work.

Wouldn't want to use iTunes to just add music to iPod, iT is crappy program with lots of unwanted processes, and it try to take over too much from your pc.

Reply #4017
It sounds like you are manually copying the tracks to your iPod and then using the Send to iPod command on them? That will cause you to be subject to the device's path length restrictions and if too many files are in the same directory the device won't play them.

The normal way to use the component is to use the send/sync commands with files on your computer and let the component copy them to your iPod.

Reply #4018
One option is to remap artist to album artist and put the track artist in the track title (when the album artist and artist metadata fields differ). See:
https://wiki.yuo.be/dop:start#how_can_i_make_my_ipod_display_album_artists_in_place_of_track_artists

(After changing the remappings, you'll need to use the 'Load library' command and then right-click on the relevant tracks and select 'iPod/Update metadata'.)

Seemed to work well with one album I tested. Resynching my library now, so it'll take a while to see how it works with everything.

One question: if a file has no album artist data, would that be a problem?

I appreciate your help by the way! I can't believe I didn't check the full FAQ first.

Reply #4019
Just wanna quickly say that everything worked, and for the first time in years, my iPod is looking the way I've always wanted it to. I almost sold my iPod for another DAP but decided against it when its sorting was even worse than the iPod Classic (can't believe they didn't have the option to sort by album artist from the get go). Definitely gonna keep it from here on out.

Thanks again.

Reply #4020
Glad to hear it. The FAQ does need a general review, but that question happened to still be relevant :)

Reply #4021
After over 6 years of using this successfully and reliably on 3 different iPods I only today found the automatic conversion tab in the component settings. For years I'd done the tedious work of manual transcoding and transferring of flacs. I always wished a customizable converter was included but figured hey, it's old software, works well otherwise can't have it all.

I come to this thread to research "Files with chapters not currently supported by foo_dop" error (not a big deal, .cue split single files are rare anyway) and found you are still helping your users. wow! Going to see if I can jig a way to get the conversion encoder to include album art automatically into the mp3 tags while it converts them. Album artwork tagging works fine when transferring normal mp3s from within foobar playlists but the converted-on-the-fly ones don't seem to, even if the included cover art fits the foobar album cover naming convention/folder location (just tested this). even if I can't this is still fantastic.

Thanks musicmusic for this awesome, robust, rich program that's served me for years and saved from iTunes and its bloated crapware cousins

Reply #4022
Hi,

Thanks!

From memory, the problem with chapters is that the iPod handles them rather differently to foobar2000. I believe that if the audio data is in an unsupported format, they will work in that the component will transcode the chapters into separate tracks. iTunes MP4 chapters also used to work (but again these were somewhat different and used for e.g. podcasts).

Regarding artwork, are you referring to embedding external artwork after conversion, or transferring/preserving embedded artwork? Regardless, I don't think it would be that difficult to implement, but I think the logic was that the iPod does not use embedded artwork, so there is no point spending time embedding artwork in the converted files. (Possibly the relevant foobar2000 APIs did not exist at the time, either.)

Thanks

Reply #4023
Hi together,

After years I just got another 4G iPod and converted it to use an SD card with an iFlash-Duo board. Everything seems to be working as normal while I try to sync my music and it copies the music to the iPod (besides some tracks where it says "gave up looking for a filename").

However, most of the time my iPod does not show any of the synced music. Earlier I copied something new to it and it worked. Then I copied something again and all tracks are gone again. I have tried restarting the iPod but that does not help.

I am using foobar2000 1.3.14 and foo_dop 0.6.9.7 on Windows 7. Interestingly I can not copy anything to the iPod on my Windoes 10 machine with neither foo_dop nor ITunes - they both get stuck upon copying the first track.

Do you have any idea why tracks do not show up? I'll backup the DB as soon as I get it working again and then compare it to the non-working DB.

Thanks in Advance
kugel

Reply #4024
'Gave up looking for a filename' sounds suspicious – are your songs' file names made up entirely of non-ASCII characters? You might want to do a file listing of your iPod to see what's on there.

As for no tracks showing up, how fast is the SD card? Does it happen when exclusively using iTunes?