Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 suggestions (Read 30686 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 suggestions

Well, I have to say that I've been waiting for something like this for quite some time.  Not only are the hotkeys easy to use (once you get used to them), but there's no need to even interface with a gui.  This I like to an extent, but it can be difficult to use the hotkeys when multi-tasking...

As far as I'm concerned, though, having a player like this is very nice.  I have a pro audio sound card, and so far nothing has supported it's 24bit word length.  Nice to have that natively included 

Just a few suggestions:

1) I'm in favor of the slideable progress bar that's been suggested
2) Any idea if an eq will be included in the future?  I'd LOVE a high-quality (30+ band) eq.
3) On Win2k/XP machines, the sound is not allowed to reach the hardware directly as it was in earlier versions of Windows and DOS.  Instead, it is forced to work it's way from the application through the Microsoft WDM wave driver, then the Windows kernel mixer, and then through the WDM driver to it's final destination at the hardware.  This incorporates at least two steps that can be removed by creating a bypass to the audio hardware.  I'm not sure if this bypass has to be created at the driver level or not, but it's worth looking into.  If you're curious, take a look at
this and see what I'm talking about.  I mean, sure my sound card will support it because of Echo's drivers, but wouldn't other users benefit from the same technique?
4) I can forsee one problem dealing with the DSP plugins.  As it is, you select which DSP plugins you'd like to be active, and then you go to a different dialogue to configure them.  For instance, I have one window where I enable the resampler, and then another one where I actually control and configure that resapling plugin.  What happens if I have a dozen plugins?  Wouldn't it be easier to be able to right-click (or double-click) on the plugin names to bring up a separate window with the config dialogue box in it?
5) I know that you're not looking for a fancy layout, but I really don't think that "play" "stop" and such buttons would really hurt anything  Also, it would be fantastic to have enabled options, such as the preamp and repeat, displayed in the taskbar menu, so that you could check/uncheck them from there.
6) The ability to skip to the previously played track would be fantastic.

I don't have any other immediate suggestions, but I'm eagerly watching this player!  Keep up the great work!

edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the main forum before I posted this.  Could an admin please move this to the main fb2k forum?  Thanks

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #1
EQ ist death ist uninteresting
(sorry, I don't see why there is use of something like that in F2k)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #2
EQ ist death ist uninteresting
(sorry, I don't see why there is use of something like that in F2k)

If you have nonlinear hardware, an EQ is your only bet of getting acceptable quality at all...

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #3
ofcourse, but persuade Peter to insert that into foobar2k
Make Peter feel sorry for you first.. hahaha

If any eq would go in it'd be parametric luxury eq.
hehehe..

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #5
I think Garf is saying that if your hardware is too trebbly or too boomy, then you need to adjust it down or up in areas to achieve a flatter frequency response.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #7
it can be difficult to use the hotkeys when multi-tasking...

It would be great to add some global shortcut (shortcut that can be used in all application).
For example
Ctrl+Alt+Right : next track
Ctrl+Alt+Left : previous track
Ctrl+Alt+Pg up : Volume up
Ctrl+Alt+Pg down : Volume down
Ctrl+Alt+Up : Play/Pause
This can be done with the RegisterHotKey function.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #8
SuperEQ DSP is planned.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #9
How about .cue-file support?

So that when loading a .cue file each track will show up as a separate playlist entry!

Or you could extend the .m3u8-format so it works similar to Monkey Audio's APL-files.

What is database.foo used for? I noticed it keeps growing and contains paths to all files that I've added to the playlist, but removing items from the playlist does not remove them from this file...

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #10
.cue support is on todo list, it should be relatively easy to implement.
database.foo stores all metadata read from your files, for fast playlist operations (so adding the same files to playlist again is fast because tags don't need to be read from files). also, database lets you sort by artist/album/etc. proper "database search" feature will come later.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #11
I've got few more playlist related suggestions:

-adding multiple playlists at once from add dialog
-storing drive relative paths inside m3u8, e.g '\...' or '.\...'

And also would be great to have main menu accessible through systray icon (cascaded, maybe).

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #12
it would be nice if "z" would do the same as "Y" as "z" and "y" are exchanged on the german keyboard layout. thanks

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #13
it would be nice if "z" would do the same as "Y" as "z" and "y" are exchanged on the german keyboard layout

Get v0.26
You can define custom shortcuts now.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #14
Feature request: a box in the configuration menu somewhere, specifying the # of seconds to skip forward/backward with the left-right arrows. (Default is 10 seconds, but I would prefer something closer to 5)

And a question: is the crossfeed plugin based on Trelane's v0.53 code or his v0.60 code? Or are you working with him to get something newer/better than his Winamp plugin?

This program's amazing, it improves every time I refresh the forum. I'm predicting total world domination by the end of the month (by Peter or by foobar2000, I'm not sure which... maybe Peter's cat?).

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #15
And a question: is the crossfeed plugin based on Trelane's v0.53 code or his v0.60 code? Or are you working with him to get something newer/better than his Winamp plugin?

It's actually based on newer code which hasn't been released yet.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #16
Feature request: a box in the configuration menu somewhere, specifying the # of seconds to skip forward/backward with the left-right arrows. (Default is 10 seconds, but I would prefer something closer to 5)

noted.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #17
Advanced Playlist-like feature: handle folders as folders in the playlist itself (see Apollo for example: http://www.hut.fi/~hylinen/apollo/)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #18
Feature request: Joystick support. This comes bundled with XMMS, and i think there are winamp plugins as well.
When you have a minimalist, out of the way player (minimized, etc) and you are working in another application, there is nothing better, than using that old gamepad lying around to control the music. You don't need to refocus back to the app, or define extremely complex "global keys", you go take the gamepad, push a button, or move the direction keys, and thats it.

Normally y axis is used for volume control, x axis for prev track next track, and the different buttons for stop, play, (a button that changes x/y function when pressed)  etc. This should be configurable of course.

In Xfree86 window managers with multiple desktops have been very common in a long time, windows users are recently tasting this (either using litestep, or the built multidesktop in the newer windows versions) this inmediatly shows the annoyance of going back to the app you want to control all the time. Even moving the mouse  to touch a button is annoying, keyboard shortcut is good unless you are working in another app, the only device that is never used unless you are in a game (where you normally wont play your own music at the same time) is precisely the forgotten gamepad/joystick always lying idle when not in use.

Because i have worked with it using XMMS, let me tell you i know how good it is to have this alternate controlling method and you will discover it to be better than any gui or crazy key combination can ever be!
She is waiting in the air

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #19
Feature request: Joystick support. This comes bundled with XMMS, and i think there are winamp plugins as well.
When you have a minimalist, out of the way player (minimized, etc) and you are working in another application, there is nothing better, than using that old gamepad lying around to control the music. You don't need to refocus back to the app, or define extremely complex "global keys", you go take the gamepad, push a button, or move the direction keys, and thats it.

Normally y axis is used for volume control, x axis for prev track next track, and the different buttons for stop, play, (a button that changes x/y function when pressed)  etc. This should be configurable of course.

In Xfree86 window managers with multiple desktops have been very common in a long time, windows users are recently tasting this (either using litestep, or the built multidesktop in the newer windows versions) this inmediatly shows the annoyance of going back to the app you want to control all the time. Even moving the mouse  to touch a button is annoying, keyboard shortcut is good unless you are working in another app, the only device that is never used unless you are in a game (where you normally wont play your own music at the same time) is precisely the forgotten gamepad/joystick always lying idle when not in use.

Because i have worked with it using XMMS, let me tell you i know how good it is to have this alternate controlling method and you will discover it to be better than any gui or crazy key combination can ever be!

I personally don't think Foobar needs this kind of features. It just makes it too bloated.

Nevertheless I would very much like it if there would be a simple 'pause-between-songs' option (in seconds, 1-2 decimals) for MiniDisc Recording... It has no high priority for me, Winamp also does the job, but I simply like Foobar more already 

Bug in 0.26b?? I cannot get Foobar to save its window size and position

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #20
i have my own point of view on "joystick control" (see: out_ds_joy.dll if you can still find it), perhaps i'll expose "player command interface" to components so someone else can implement it after the SDK is out.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #21
I'd would like very much if I could configure the player to inmediately play a song added via command line (launched via mirc script for example) without removing the playlist already loaded (and continuing with the next song in the playlist when finished)  . Also are there any way to comunicate with the player from other program (mirc script thing also)   
I like very much the player thanks  B)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #22
Regarding the playlist:
When one song ends and the next starts in minimized mode, the playlist is scrolled when opened again. The new song's position is just over the top of the visible part of the playlist. This happens even when the playlist is centered around the currently playing file before minimizing the window.

When a song ends and you have moved the cursor in the playlist window by for example clicking on another song, it continues on the one under the cursor rather than the one comeng after the song previously played. This may be a "feature", but I don't like it. Better would be to indicate the currently playing song with a different color or font or something else except the list cursor. This would make it possible to look at other songs file info without skipping ahead in the playlist.

Regarding UI:
I'd like to have a toolbar with buttons for the basic operations like play, stop, forward and a combined progressbar/seekbar that shows the position of the currently playing song and which can be used to skip to an arbitrary time in the song. (Unlike the current seeking with arrow keys in steps of X seconds)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #23
Better would be to indicate the currently playing song with a different color or font or something else except the list cursor.
'simple' solution would be to add '<-' or 'playing' at the end of the song in the playlist, that would help to locate the position of the song curently playing, 2nd even better option would be to add for example double-click on the song name at the bottom of ui and that would select the song curently playing.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #24
- global hotkey for seeking
- associate supported formats with foobar
- configurable tooltip for systray icon (instead of title that doesn't fit on the screen anyway). Average bitrate display would be nice as tooltip.
- back function

I think this really is a killer app, very nice job zZzZzZz. This is already the player of my choice now.

Not really of importance, but are you thinking of .cda support (just curious) ?