Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter (Read 526709 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #150
how do I make sure the VST keeps the settings I choose after I open foobar again?
VST settings are saved when you close editor window. I'm going to add preset manager as soon as some major bugs are fixed.
When I change the number to 8 and use a 7.1 VST-Effect the error Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 24-bit / 8 channels appears.
This is what output service says, not the adapter. Your sound card (or its particular configuration) doesn't seem to be capable of streaming 8 channel audio. Have you ever played back 7.1 audio without DSPs on your PC?

Reply #151
how do I make sure the VST keeps the settings I choose after I open foobar again?
VST settings are saved when you close editor window. I'm going to add preset manager as soon as some major bugs are fixed.
When I change the number to 8 and use a 7.1 VST-Effect the error Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 24-bit / 8 channels appears.
This is what output service says, not the adapter. Your sound card (or its particular configuration) doesn't seem to be capable of streaming 8 channel audio. Have you ever played back 7.1 audio without DSPs on your PC?

No it works.
The problem was the WASAPI output. With direct sound and KernelStreaming I can use  VST-effects with 8ch ouptput.  But I don't understand why WASAPI don't work. With a 7.1 wave-file  or  7.1 upmix with MatrixMixer  WASAPI have no problems.

Reply #152
The only problem that comes to my mind is speaker configuration inconsistencies. Most VSTs doesn't provide information on pin assignments, so I didn't even bother implementing any queries. What VST do you use?

Also, could you please compare channel configs in the two cases, i.e. with the MatrixMixer and with the VST? Use Foobar's null output to make VST start processing. I need to know resulting channel configs in both cases.

Reply #153
The only problem that comes to my mind is speaker configuration inconsistencies. Most VSTs doesn't provide information on pin assignments, so I didn't even bother implementing any queries. What VST do you use?

Also, could you please compare channel configs in the two cases, i.e. with the MatrixMixer and with the VST? Use Foobar's null output to make VST start processing. I need to know resulting channel configs in both cases.

You're rigth it is the channel configuration:

The VST is  dts neural upmix 2.0 to 7.1.

Channel configuration with  dts neural upmix 2.0 to 7.1

FL,FR,FC,LFE,RL,RR,FCL,FCR.  This works with kernel streaming and direct sound.

Matrix Mixer:

FL,FR,FC,LFE,RL,RR,Sl,SR      This works with kernel streaming, direct sound and WASAPI.

I have tested the vst with matrix Mixer  and set the FCL, FCR to SL, SR. This works with WASAPI. 

Reply #154
FYI, VNoPhone crashed foobar2000 outright when I tried to add it. If it's too old and you don't wanna check, that's fine. I was just trying to find some new crossfeed VST.

Reply #155
I guess it's just not VST 2.4. I'll look into it though. Thanks.

UPD: It's VST 1.0. I'm not sure if it's worth bothering to make it work. It'd be intersting though. May be I'll try later.

Reply #156

:-)

Reply #157
Excellent!

Reply #159
Yep. I hope so at least

Reply #160
Wow, this is one pretty neat VST implementation! I really like the ability of adding multiple instances of DSPs with it.
So far it works great with the majority of my plugins, however I do get some errors with these two (both freeware):

Sonogram SG-1: This one is a real time sonogram, it doesn't actually alter the sound. Foobar crashes when trying to add the VST. George Yohng's wrapper also crashes on startup when this plugin is present in the VST directory. However it does work when added through the EffectChainer VST.

dBlue Glitch: A pretty sophisticated Glitcher/Sequencer. Can be added as should, but crashes foobar, once playback starts with this plugin in the chain. Works fine in George Yohng's wrapper, can be loaded and configured when used in the EffectChainer, but does actually change the sound then.

It would be great, if you could have a quick look into these plugins, maybe there is a simple fix for their behaviour. Also it would nice if the user could add mutliple effects at once or have the plugin scan for VSTs inside a specified directory and its subdirs...

Thanks!

Reply #161
Sonogram SG-1 <...> Foobar crashes when trying to add the VST.
Works fine in v0.9 which is coming soon.
dBlue Glitch: A pretty sophisticated Glitcher/Sequencer. Can be added as should, but crashes foobar, once playback starts with this plugin in the chain.
Confirmed. I'll have a look.

Reply #162
Hello,
I changed my OS to Win7 64bit and now I have some problems with Voxengo SPAN. 32bit version of plugin attenuates signal by a fairly large amount, 64bit version can't be loaded in component section. I think they work properly in other hosts, so it is yours plugin issue. Maybe you'll find solution, I hope  There's also another strange thing, when I added freeverb (or sth like that) after SPAN, it was playing ok, but pre SPAN it was attenuated. I also have Convert mono to stereo in chain, but it changes nothing in level (irrespective of position in chain). SPAN has standard stereo routing.

Reply #163
The adapter itself doesn't change anything in the audio except for the number of channels. I guess you just missed that actually Voxengo plug-ins have more than two outputs and so when downmixing to stereo occurs (somewhere at fb2k output or another DSP service) you get that attenuation. As for other hosts, they can manage the routing themself as they always know how many channels they need. But it's not the case here at all as there is no way to find out if particular VST out pin is active. It's all about multichannel audio support.

In the next version there will be per-instance channel number limitation so it'll be easier to handle such cases as yours. Right now all you can do is to set channel number limit to 2 in the Advanced preferences section or use a Channel Mixer to downmix to stereo.

Reply #164
Changing value helped, but previously it was working without it. Anyway thank you

Reply #165
I didn't change anything that concerns audio channels. You probably had a 2-output plug-in after the SPAN before, which served the same purpose as the channel number limitation feature ;-)

Reply #166
I just started using your VST wrapper, and I must say I'm quite impressed, Entrase. Quite a good job at handling Ozone 4, which seemed to be a problematic VST on older wrapper builds. So far it has handled everything I threw at it like a champ    It's quite nice having direct access to the VST windows as well as any DSPs in the chain.

I've been using Yhong's wrapper for quite some time, specially since the alternatives were quite buggy. Have been using your solution for a few hours and if it continues performing like it is, I won't be returning to Yhong's solution again.

About the 20 VSTs limitation, perhaps users can use a chainer until you increase the total number of VSTs. Haven't tried Acon Effect Chainer yet, but could be a nice solution, as from there the amount of cpu cycles would be the limit.

Congrats on a great job, I hope you improve it even further, and I wish you the best

Reply #167
Thank you. Working hard on it.

As for the maximum number of VST entries, I can increase it anytime but I don't see the point. In short, it's not worth it.

More detailed explanation is like this. If one needs more than 20 DSP plug-ins in a player then probably a different tool should be used. I wouldn't introduce the limitation at all and would even make some folder scanning feature as found on Big Hosts, but Foobar2000's API doesn't have an ability to re-use a code for multiple esentially the same DSP services in a one component. I had to abuse a programming language feature to make it possible for one component to provide multiple DSP entries. Basically, the compiler does some copy-paste job for me (c++ templates). So not only will DLL file grow in size, but also compilation and linking times will increase. Of course I could set different limits for internal debug builds and for release builds. But then I would have to support multiple config files or make the component keep entries in memory. That all stuff would be error-prone. The bottom line is, yes, it's not worth it. Feel free to prove the opposite though.
About the 20 VSTs limitation, perhaps users can use a chainer until you increase the total number of VSTs. Haven't tried Acon Effect Chainer yet, but could be a nice solution, as from there the amount of cpu cycles would be the limit.
I hope you don't mind a little comment. Don't mix up VST entries with their instances. One can still have 100 or, say, 200 Ozones in Foobar's DSP chain, but only 20 different VST plug-ins (not their instances) may be added.

Reply #168
It's not really a priority for me, as I use just a few VSTs. What I was saying is that inside a single VST chainer, there could be 10 or 20 VSTs loaded inside the chainer, and the wrapper would only consider a single VST as being loaded. I don't think it's that bad of an idea, specially as it would make things cleaner for your wrapper, and the chainer is freeware

Right now I only have 3 VSTs loaded so it's not an issue, and having 20 or more VSTs is not something I'm looking for at this time.

Reply #170
This component is shaping up nicely.

Since it is so great, I wanted to try running a reverb VST on a stereo track and have the reverb come out the rear channels. I tried matrix mixer to upconvert to 4 channels and duplicating the track, but when I run the 2 channel VST, foobar will always output 2 channels.

In a multichannel scenario, it would be nice to be able to run a VST on selected channels and maintain the multichannel configuration.

Or when running a 2/2 VST in a multichannel scenario, have the option to maintain the number of channels but just run the VST on the 1st two channels. I could then use matrix mixer to swap channels around to where I want them.

Thanks for your work on this!

Reply #171
Yes, sure, it must be made like this. Thanks.

Reply #172
Do you have a changelog somewhere, Entrase?

Reply #174
The UI for Toneboosters Isone: http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/ isn't displaying in 0.9.0.2.  All my other VSTs including the old JB Isone are showing up fine.