Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portable DAPs that support ogg, micro-SD, ReplayGain, gapless, & Bluetooth? (Read 1471 times) previous topic - next topic

Portable DAPs that support ogg, micro-SD, ReplayGain, gapless, & Bluetooth?

I've recently resurrected my mp3/ogg collection from years ago and want my son and I to be able to listen to music without a fancy/expensive Android device, so I've been on the hunt for cheap portable mp3 players.

Today I unboxed the SanDisk 8GB Clip Jam, which does support ogg, ReplayGain, micro-SD, but not gapless or bluetooth. Furthermore, it's quite a pain to get it to play certain albums in order. It especially sucks when dealing with multi-disc albums. Also too bad the tiny black & white screen doesn't display track numbers or date/genre info.

I also got the Oakcastle MP200. Bluetooth works well and it manages a much bigger screen without being much bigger itself; however, it completely squanders the extra screen real estate with a terrible UI and completely fake eye-candy visualizations. Only a single line to display track, album, and artist, when there's enough space to have 4 lines for that. Aside from bluetooth, it's worse than the Clip Jam. There's more of a pause and click/gap between tracks and no ReplayGain support. Ugh.

Ideally, I'd like something small and cheap, but it doesn't need to be as small and cheap as those two players. It could be more like the size of an iPod Nano from 20 years ago -- e.g., the "Aiworth MB08 32GB Mp3 Player with Bluetooth 5.0" (except that has no gapless or ReplayGain); I'd just prefer not to have a huge screen that sucks battery and makes the device unnecessarily large and fragile.

Any suggestions?