Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 281144 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_musicbrainz

Reply #350
Dealing with open source projects and demands of your "customers" can be daunting, plus a huge time suck. We do this stuff for fun, and for free. When it no longer becomes fun, maybe it's best for your sanity to just cut the cord and make sure you aren't tempted to work on it anymore. We're all in a better off shape for the effort he put in on this, and there's literally no point in speculating on his reasons for removing the repo.

I'm swamped with other projects and work I actually get paid to do, but probably in the next week I'll start a new thread and do a new release. Unsure on whether I should start fresh from an unforked repo, or keep the fork of a fork status I currently have which is a little confusing from a "source of truth" standpoint. Curious to hear what you guys would prefer.

Reply #351
I'd use this plugin a lot more if it would find and tag files with MusicBrainz tags, based upon the presence of a Discogs Release ID tag. Does anyone know if that's already possible somehow?
As far as I know it's not possible to query the MB API by discogs tag. It's easy enough to get external links from a known release_MBID, but not the other way around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Something like this?
https://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/url?inc=release-rels&fmt=json&resource=https://www.discogs.com/release/14692

Reply #352
As far as I know it's not possible to query the MB API by discogs tag. It's easy enough to get external links from a known release_MBID, but not the other way around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Something like this?
https://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/url?inc=release-rels&fmt=json&resource=https://www.discogs.com/release/14692
Well now I just look silly. Thanks! I'll add that as a TODO

Reply #353
Well now I just look silly. Thanks! I'll add that as a TODO
:) It's good news to hear that's possible. I look forward to have mega metadata, thanks to both of you.

As for the fork, I'd let it depend on how much you want to start all over. I'd also like to thank marc for getting the ball rolling. I often wish more people would try to start things like this. It takes courage and ambition to wade into public open development.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #354
@MordredKLB  I get that pressures both real and persevered can get to  people I just dont like the fact that he seems tp just nuke  everything when he feels that way its unfair to those who appreciate the plugin id rather something remain functional and get the occuational update when possible rather then disappear  at least give folks heads up write a note something so even if your swamped and dont give it attention often id be happy if its just readily available  as for forking  I would make it what you want just promise to maintain it is emough  

Reply #355
As for the fork, I'd let it depend on how much you want to start all over. I'd also like to thank marc for getting the ball rolling. I often wish more people would try to start things like this. It takes courage and ambition to wade into public open development.

It can definitely be daunting.

My thoughts are two fold. I don't want it to seem like my work is based off the work of someone who didn't actually contribute anything (except make a fork at recent time!), but I also don't want it to look like I'm taking credit for anything dremora or Marc did. I'll probably just get git to move my fork out to the top level which should allow me to keep git history and everything. I will probably not rename the repo which might be a little confusing from a source-of-truth perspective, but we'll see how it goes.

Reply #356
@MordredKLB, the component in the upload section has a TOC fix described in this post...

https://community.metabrainz.org/t/a-new-version-of-foo-musicbrainz-has-been-released/442446/43?u=marc2k3

Your fork doesn't have it so I've attached a patch.

Reply #357
Hi guys I just want to know what is the new centralized home of this component and where i can download  the component file? 

Reply #358
@MordredKLB, the component in the upload section has a TOC fix described in this post...

https://community.metabrainz.org/t/a-new-version-of-foo-musicbrainz-has-been-released/442446/43?u=marc2k3

Your fork doesn't have it so I've attached a patch.
Thanks! I'll get that integrated shortly.

Hi guys I just want to know what is the new centralized home of this component and where i can download  the component file? 
For the next day or so, the upload forum. You'll have to be patient.

Reply #360
MordredKLB: Thanks a lot for taking this up. Do you also have access to the sources of foo_listenbrainz2 or is this one gone for good?

Reply #361
@MordredKLB  thanks for this maybe I am inexperienced but i only see the source code and no working component file or dll?

Reply #362
MordredKLB: Thanks a lot for taking this up. Do you also have access to the sources of foo_listenbrainz2 or is this one gone for good?
I don't. That wasn't a component I ever used, and unfortunately have no interest in managing that one either. Hopefully someone else has a fork of that one.

@MordredKLB  thanks for this maybe I am inexperienced but i only see the source code and no working component file or dll?
Check the releases tab.

Reply #363
I don't. That wasn't a component I ever used, and unfortunately have no interest in managing that one either. Hopefully someone else has a fork of that one.

That's a real pitty :( I even would have considered maintaining this. I had an older fork of foo_musicbrainz, but unfortunately I don't have a fork of foo_listenbrainz2. And I can't find one either. Hopefully somebody else has.

Reply #364
ah I see have you just not compiled .4.4 yet?  as .4,3 is the only one with a usable file

Reply #365
ah I see have you just not compiled .4.4 yet?  as .4,3 is the only one with a usable file

Sorry, guess I forgot to add the component when I created the release. Fixed now.

Reply #366
New beta release up for testing. Should be good speed improvements with more to come soon.

Release notes are here. I'll keep updating that page as new changes are made.

Edit: Beta 2 now available.

Reply #367
Small issue, perhaps caused by my Windows resolution settings:
Clicking [Update Files] from the the MusicBrainz tagging window (via TOC) can only be done by maximizing the window and hiding the Windows taskbar because the window is oversized and can not be reduced on the non-maximized setting.
Neither an audiophile, nor album snob. Why do ratings threads always have someone saying they don't believe in rating music?
Record Label Icons: 600x600 pngs appropriate for any color background:
freeimage.host/johnbuck/?list=images&sort=name_asc&page=1

Reply #368
Small issue, perhaps caused by my Windows resolution settings:
Clicking [Update Files] from the the MusicBrainz tagging window (via TOC) can only be done by maximizing the window and hiding the Windows taskbar because the window is oversized and can not be reduced on the non-maximized setting.
What resolution are you running at?
Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like maximized with the windows taskbar visible? I can shrink the window down slightly, but I'd prefer not to change it too much for those of us who are running at larger resolutions.

Reply #369
What resolution are you running at?
Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like maximized with the windows taskbar visible? I can shrink the window down slightly, but I'd prefer not to change it too much for those of us who are running at larger resolutions.
1600x900 on a Sony 48" flat screen TV monitor

Video showing musicbrainz tagging window size (and inability to resize it):
https://youtu.be/ESlHUlPncV0
Neither an audiophile, nor album snob. Why do ratings threads always have someone saying they don't believe in rating music?

Reply #370
Let me know if this is any better for you. The dialog was 850 pixels high. I shaved off 26 pixels so I think it should fit (or mostly fit), even on your ridiculously small size screen :D

Reply #371
Let me know if this is any better for you. The dialog was 850 pixels high. I shaved off 26 pixels so I think it should fit
Bingo. On maximize, it fits poyficktly. I do have another elusive musicbrainz/picard type question. Do you mind it being posed here even though it is technically a hijack away from the script @ hand?

Reply #372
Let me know if this is any better for you. The dialog was 850 pixels high. I shaved off 26 pixels so I think it should fit
Bingo. On maximize, it fits poyficktly. I do have another elusive musicbrainz/picard type question. Do you mind it being posed here even though it is technically a hijack away from the script @ hand?

Perfect!

I don't use Picard, so I might not be able to answer, but you're welcome to ask away. You might have better luck over on the musicbrainz forum itself though.

Reply #373
Perfect!
Just noticed another resizing issue within a fixed sized window. In the Releases section of the MusicBrainz Tagger window, where the numerous release variants are listed, it is very difficult (i.e. have to make the other columns narrower in order) widen the Label / Cat # column to see the Cat # to choose the correct variant.  Sometime the 'robbing peter's with to pay paul' widening process works, other times, every column snaps back to its default width.

Reply #374
Perfect!
Just noticed another resizing issue within a fixed sized window. In the Releases section of the MusicBrainz Tagger window, where the numerous release variants are listed, it is very difficult (i.e. have to make the other columns narrower in order) widen the Label / Cat # column to see the Cat # to choose the correct variant.  Sometime the 'robbing peter's with to pay paul' widening process works, other times, every column snaps back to its default width.
Unfortunately, that's just a standard Visual Studio control. AFAIK, there's nothing actually handling the resize handles. Have you tried double clicking on the edge of the column? I would assume that grows to fit the content, but I'm out of town and don't have a foobar instance in front of me to check.