Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 281686 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_musicbrainz

Reply #300
@kitzik, yes it was intentional, presumably based on the max number of tracks a CD supports. Since digital releases can contain many more tracks, I've removed the restriction.

Remove 99 track limit for artist/album and MBID lookups.

https://github.com/19379/foo_musicbrainz/releases

Windows XP users will need to add musicbrainz.org under File>Preferences>Advanced>Networking>Suppress HTTPS certificate checks for domains.

Reply #301
Thank you, marc  ;D

Reply #302
Please add support for custom label, catalog number, and barcode tag! We can set one already for album type and album status, so it'll be nice to have the same for the rest! Thank you! Amazing component!

Reply #303
It would be easy enough to add but I'm not sure there is any need for this. I guess the reason this option exists for album type is because Picard can use entirely different names depending on file type but the name is always consistent for label, barcode and catalognumber. I'll think about it.

Reply #304
Marc2003, Dremora,
It wouldn’t be possible to merge all the stuff back to original plugin at some point ?
Enabling the update from foobar2000, etc. ?
I don’t feel confortable installing from another place.
I should really try though, but I’m unsure what issues are fixed or not, etc.
What would prevent Marc’s latest version to be a pull request for Dremora’s, fixing some open issues at the same time ?

Reply #305
Why should marc2003 develop the plugin in the way you like?

Reply #306
Hi everyone! You've probably noticed that there was no updates in the last couple of years to foo_musicbrainz. The explanation is quite simple: I have switched from Windows to Mac, and from foobar2000 to cloud-based music players. I should have announced this mush earlier, but better late than never: I won't be supporting this plugin anymore. The good news is that the source code is on Github, and whoever wants to take ownership of the project will get my blessing.
There's actually an unreleased patch (on the master branch on Github), so simply building and releasing the new version with this patch would mark a new beginning

Reply #307
Thanks for your citation, zeremy.
Maybe marc2003 could take ownership of the project ?
Dremora said that.
It was the meaning of my question and I did remember what Dremora said.

Or if it cannot be, maybe link marc2003’s code to foobar2000’s auto‐updating component system instead of Dremora’s, with both person’s agreement.

It’s not just the way I like, lvqcl, it’s the usual way foobar2000 components run.

:)

Reply #308
I don’t feel confortable installing from another place.

I've had an account on these forums for 12 years and as you know from having your own repositories on github, every single change I've made is viewable via the commit history...

https://github.com/19379/foo_musicbrainz/commits/master

If that's not enough to earn your trust, so be it.

Reply #309
Sorry it’s not that I don’t trust you.
Confortable was probably not well translated.
I meant convenient.
The components update automatically and are publically visible, if they are in the official components page.
I thought it was a pity to publically promote an outdated version and not providing easy update to your fixed versions.

Reply #310
It would be easy enough to add but I'm not sure there is any need for this. I guess the reason this option exists for album type is because Picard can use entirely different names depending on file type but the name is always consistent for label, barcode and catalognumber. I'll think about it.

This actually makes more sense, and as I personally have followed foo_mb's standard tag for them instead of my own now I don't think it matters anymore for me :D

Anyways is it also possible to fetch (and write) the metadata for release media, like Vinyl/CD/Cassette/Digital? Being able to write the "country of origin" metadata, like DE/US/XE might also be helpful.

Thanks again for everything!

Reply #311
Handling the country should be easy enough because it's already displayed in the tagger dialog. Looking at the existing code, I think writing it to tags should be easy enough.

As for the media type, that's more tricky because it doesn't exist as a supported field and I'm not sure how to add new ones. I can try but I'm not sure I'll get very far.

Reply #312
Add preferences to write release country (RELEASECOUNTRY) and release format (MEDIA).
They're both enabled by default so check File>Preferences>Tools>Tagging>
MusicBrainz Tagger if you wish to turn them off.

edit: I'm only realising now there is no way to view the MEDIA tag before it is written. I'll tweak the tagger dialog so it's visible in the next release.

Reply #314
We now obey the rate limit rules with a delay inbetween each request so any lookup
with more than several releases should complete.

You can now paste full release URLs like

https://musicbrainz.org/release/76a601d9-a1a6-4112-aad5-d63bc85db9b6

in to the MBID query dialog and it will automatically strip the URL so you're left with
just the MBID like 76a601d9-a1a6-4112-aad5-d63bc85db9b6. This is useful if a
given artist/album has many releases and you find it easier to find the correct one
on the musicbrainz.org website. This will only work with "release" URLs and
not "release-group" and the track count must always match the selection.

Using the artist/album lookup dialog will populate the album field with the "TITLE"
if there is no album tag present and the track count is one. There are some
releases with just one track on Musicbrainz so this should make them easier to find.

Reply #315
I think I've found a bug in this component. It looks like the component uses the title of the MusicBrainz recording for tagging, instead of the title given in the track list of the release.

For example, in this release:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/434315fa-c033-43dc-b3b4-7b218941b4d6
track 6 is shown in the track list as "3 Olden Style Pieces: III.". But if you try to tag this release using foo_musicbrainz it's tagged as "3 Utwory w dawnym stylu (3 Pieces in Old Style), No. 3". This is the title of the recording associated with track 6:
https://musicbrainz.org/recording/baa09475-4a84-4881-b958-41de9bdc16fb

Also, could I make a feature request? Is it possible to add an option to tag single disc releases with a disc number? Currently only multi-disc releases are tagged with a disc number.

Reply #316
1) I'd like to fix it but I have no idea how. The underlying code is too hard for me to understand.  :'(

2) Nope, I'm not changing this. This was obviously a design choice added by the original developer and it's one I agree with. I think writing disk 1 of 1 is pointless.

Reply #317
Thank you for continuing to work on the plugin.
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #318
Something strange... foo_musicbrainz don't use Album-ID's tagged with Musicbrainz Picard. See attached Screenshot...
ID #1-7 from Picard, no tagging by ID in foo_musicbrainz possible!
ID #8-14 from foo_musicbrainz, tagging by ID is working...

Reply #319
The code that checks MBIDs are valid expects lower case characters. The first 7 begin with a capital F.

Reply #320
The code that checks MBIDs are valid expects lower case characters. The first 7 begin with a capital F.

The MBIDs I've got from Picard...
Anyway, I've changed "some" MBIDs by using Mp3Tag formatting all to lower case Characters, it counts up to 217 changes...
Now foo_musicbrainz work as as expected  :)

Is it possible to make the Script work with upper and lower case characters in MBIDs?

Reply #321
I've made the changes but I'm not sure when the next component release will be.

Reply #322
Is Tagging>Get tags from MusicBrainz (by Discogs release #) possible?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #323
Is Tagging>Get tags from MusicBrainz (by Discogs release #) possible?
Oh.... I have not tried this plugin... mostly due to the additional steps involved in finding the correct release for picard when I have everything set up for the discogs tagger (via ID field). So IF this is possible (from the wording above, I'm not 100% if this does exist as a menu entry for this plugin already or if is this a suggestion for a feature), I would be very keen to use this too (and will grab the component the next days to test around with this).
Also - can this component be configured to write the incoming data to custom/user-defined metadata fields ? i,e, instead of TPOP/Genre, use 'MSUCIBRAINZ_Genre' or some such ?

Cheers.
c.

Reply #324
So IF this is possible (from the wording above, I'm not 100% if this does exist as a menu entry for this plugin already or if is this a suggestion for a feature),

No, it's not a real menu choice, I meant it as both a question and a request.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)