Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: N\'Sync Releases Copyprotected CD (Read 5151 times) previous topic - next topic

N\'Sync Releases Copyprotected CD

Well, just read this: http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991367 story about a new N'Sync CD which you will not be able to play on a computer at all. They will also release three different versions of it (each protected by a different method).

Now, I'd boycott this but I was never gonna buy this crap anyway . However, it usually starts with a few items and then just progresses to all of the other CDs as well. This is really gonna suck since we won't be able to backup CDs at digital quality in the near future. Has anyone played around with these 'protected' CDs?

Thoughts?

Reply #1
[deleted]

Reply #2
Has anyone played around with these 'protected' CDs?

Not if playing around with them would involve buying an N'Sync album :-)

Reply #3
muahahaha.. lol :D

well since i'm not keen about garbage music like this, it hardly disturbs me

what i find quite odd though is that the germans are always getting screwed with stupid innovations like that:

But the German version does not even play on a Windows PC meaning users cannot listen to music they have bought, while they work. It cannot be copied to blank CD or sent over the internet using a PC. Nor can it be ripped to a solid state portable, such as an MP3 device.

while america, britain, and even the rest of europe dont:

Both the UK and US versions will play on a Windows PC and both let a PC CD burner make a copy onto a blank CD.

this has happened in the past with BMG music in germany and whats is called, that copy protection system from midbar that worked like crap and wouldn't let people play the CD even on a legit CD player.. yikes
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #4
Unfortunately, N'Sync is just a big test for copy protection.  The record labels are trying to see how consumers react.  Considering how well N'Sync CDs normally sell, this should prove to be a good test case for them.

Vivendi/Universal Music (whose subsidiaries include one of my favorite labels -- Deustche Gramophone) is considering copy protecting all CDs by sometime next year.

Here are some links:

Wall Street Journal Story

ZDNet Article

Reply #5
Copy protection and  N'Sync in the same thread - seems like a good opportunity to let this little fella do his thang:
:puke:

Reply #6
Oh well, we can only hope that these copy protection technologies will turn into an expensive and heavily patented option, so the record companies can't afford it.

BTW, even if they did implement it, it would only work on us, the archivers. The average music listener wouldn't really mind or even notice any quality drop. :enraged:

Reply #7
What about all the people out there with portable mp3 players? Are they not prevented from making fair use of their cd's?

This is so arbitrary. The people making rio's and nomads surely have a stake in this copy technology. Does anyone know if they have made any statements?

Reply #8
Originally posted by TrNSZ
Well, first off, if it can be played in a standard CD, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to use CloneCD to make an image

There are reports (er one report, in fact, http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/2...242&mode=thread ) saying that computer drives don't even load the CD. In that case, CloneCD can't do anything, of course. Maybe CloneCD compatible drives can load the CD anyway.

Originally posted by TrNSZ
This will produce a perfect copy (minus jitter of course, which is a problem anywhere and can be 'solved' with a DIP box or the other myriad of clock matching solutions) every single time.

There will be NO jitter problem as computer hard drives use asychronous transfers, for which jitter has no meaning, since there is no clock. There will be no difference with an extraction, exept that to have a secure copy, like with EAC, two copies would be needed, so that they can be compared.

The problems may come from SACD readers, DVD readers, MP3 readers, burners, DVD burners etc, that may try to access the TOC, thus being unable to play them.

Have you noticed that those protection schemes are sold to record companies by third party companies ? Their marketing is convincing record companies to buy their protection, that may, after all, only annoy common users with mp3 players etc... while pirates can easily make analog or digital copies with an old hifi player, and companies selling the protection earn money...

Reply #9
[deleted]