Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.6.7 beta 8 => Exclusive=> Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported format ! ! (Read 14699 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1.6.7 beta 8 => Exclusive=> Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported format ! !

Reply #25
fb2k v1.6.7 beta 10

How to reproduce:
1. Output Device: Primary Sound Driver [exclusive]
2. Enable smooth seeking...
3. Load playlist attached
4. Click Play stream "Energy Star Night"
After an error occurs, playback will go to the next stream. The sound will be jerky.
This does not happen for beta 6.

I was able to reproduce that.  Seems smooth playback breaks playback.  A feature I don't use but notable.

Also changes in sample rate trigger it but if a resampler is chained in the DSP section it prevents it.  Changes in the number of channels triggers it as well but is worked around with a DSP in the chain, both of which I typically do regardless of exclusive mode or not but I can see where users would have a problem here.

Re: 1.6.7 beta 8 => Exclusive=> Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported format ! !

Reply #26
Thanks for all the details.
Problems with smooth output vs sample rate changes confirmed, will be fixed in beta 11 tomorrow.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #27
Thanks for all the details.
Problems with smooth output vs sample rate changes confirmed, will be fixed in beta 11 tomorrow.

Peter, thank you for all the work you are doing and especially for open communication with all of us beta testers. It has given me some insight as to how an individual developer works.

Reply #28
with beta 11 now I get "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels (0x3)" with output data format 24-bit. It is fine with beta 10 and also with WASAPI output support component

Reply #29
foobar2000 1.6.7 beta 11

RAL-DSDHA5, DENON DA-310USB
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels (0x3)

FOSTEX HP-A4, FOSTEX HP-A4BL
The noise is still terrible.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #30
Likewise 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels (0x3)' whether playing 16 or 24 bit file or with smooth seeking enabled or disabled.

RME HDSPE AIO Pro, latest v21 firmware and 438 drivers on Win10. Analogue output.

Reply #31
Multiple PCs full of soundcards and I still can't test 24bit-in-32bit that some devices want.
Beta 12 posted, regression fixed, thanks for reporting so quickly.

Reply #32
Many Thanks Peter.

foobar2000 1.6.7 beta 12

No Problem. It will be played good
----------
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #33
Likewise, fixed here.

Thank you!

Reply #34
Aaagh .......

I wrote too soon.

The files I tested with originally were 24-44 (classical) and they do indeed now play without error.

However, a range of 24-88 and 24-96 files (contemporary) all return 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 96000 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels (0x3) (as appropriate) when using Exclusive mode, whether smooth seeking enabled or not and whether the output data format is selected as 24 bit or, for test, 16 bit.

All files play properly when non-exclusive mode is selected.

Sorry.

Reply #35
Note that exclusive output - like all output plugins of the sort - doesn't perform any resampling of its own; if your device isn't agreeing with the sample rate of your audio files, errors happen. This is currently the intended behavior.

I'll think of some solution for this for post-1.6.7, perhaps negotiate some optimal rate to resample to.

Reply #36
Many Thanks Peter.

foobar2000 1.6.7 beta 12

----------
Thanks for confirming.
As for FOSTEX, looks like I'll have to resurrect the advanced preferences option, to set the hardware buffer to 50ms (per BeepExclusive results).

Reply #37
Aaaaahh!

Thank you for the insight.

This looks like a case of a Muppet user here not understanding fully what he's doing /  testing or the sophistication of what you're producing.

Trying to follow, even if not fully understanding, what you say, I ran the RME Hammerfall HDSPE settings (which, up to now, I have never had cause to touch) and, perhaps unsurprisingly, so soon as I select a sample rate (under Clock Mode) that matches the file(s) being played, all works perfectly - even up to an admittedly daft 24-177.

I only say in my defence that I may have been misled by the first file that I sampled and reported as working: it was 24-44 and played without apparent error even though the sample rate was still set to a standard 44.1.  It's been set as that ever since I installed the card (and its predecessor) and I've never had to adjust the sample rate before through all the various developments in exclusive mode in FB2K that I have followed assiduously.

If you can spare a moment to enlighten me it might prevent me making similar unhelpful errors in the future.

TIA

Reply #38
foobar2000 1.6.7 beta 12

play some mp3 have Problem.
but i use another software can play.

Reply #39
Note that exclusive output - like all output plugins of the sort - doesn't perform any resampling of its own; if your device isn't agreeing with the sample rate of your audio files, errors happen. This is currently the intended behavior.

I'll think of some solution for this for post-1.6.7, perhaps negotiate some optimal rate to resample to.
Thanks Peter for your work on getting this right but I would encourage you NOT to engage some auto-resampling routine to Wasapi exclusive.  As you described,  passing the file rate straight through to the device is intended behavior.  Users with devices that are not compatible with the native sample rates of their files already have several options to handle this via Foobar DSP resampling plugins.  IMO, why add an extra layer of handling to something that is proving tricky enough as-is to fix.

Reply #40
Beta 12 has fixed all the issues in exclusive mode with my Fiio K5 Pro.

Reply #41

Thanks Peter for your work on getting this right but I would encourage you NOT to engage some auto-resampling routine to Wasapi exclusive.  As you described,  passing the file rate straight through to the device is intended behavior.  Users with devices that are not compatible with the native sample rates of their files already have several options to handle this via Foobar DSP resampling plugins.  IMO, why add an extra layer of handling to something that is proving tricky enough as-is to fix.

I agree. Beta 12 making music here. Apparently the default buffer size in exclusive is small enough for Xmos 208 USB devices. It took me a long time to figure out the 25 ms default in the component was just a bit too large.

Reply #42
Many Thanks Peter.

foobar2000 1.6.7 beta 12

----------
Thanks for confirming.
As for FOSTEX, looks like I'll have to resurrect the advanced preferences option, to set the hardware buffer to 50ms (per BeepExclusive results).

I have a Fostex HP-A8C and when I use exclusive mode with B12 the audio is playing very slowed down. I have tested 44.1/16 and 96/24 and they both behave the same with the music slowed down. I have tested with smooth seeking enabled and disabled without any change.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #43

With the old WASAPI exclusive mode component, the expected behavior was that exclusive mode would output whatever format it is fed, and it would force the output device into that format, only returning an error if that format isn't supported by the output device. For instance, when you play a 44.1kHz file the output device uses that format, then if the next song is 96kHz it is switched to that format.

Is this no longer the case with the built-in exlcusive mode?

I usually use a resampler anyway, but I did enjoy having a mode that would just output the file as is and force the output device to adjust for each track.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #44
 Hi :) A_Man_Eating_Duck

>  playing very slowed down
Yes.

No Ploblem
FOSTEX HP-A3, FOSTEX FS-3DA  (96/24)

FOSTEX HP-A4, FOSTEX HP-A4BL (192/32)
Terrible noise, Stagnant sound

Reply #45
Hi :) A_Man_Eating_Duck

>  playing very slowed down
Yes.

No Ploblem
FOSTEX HP-A3, FOSTEX FS-3DA  (96/24)

FOSTEX HP-A4, FOSTEX HP-A4BL (192/32)
Terrible noise, Stagnant sound

Just to add to my report, there is distortion and it sounds underwater while playing back very slowly.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #46
With the old WASAPI exclusive mode component, the expected behavior was that exclusive mode would output whatever format it is fed, and it would force the output device into that format, only returning an error if that format isn't supported by the output device. For instance, when you play a 44.1kHz file the output device uses that format, then if the next song is 96kHz it is switched to that format.

I usually use a resampler anyway, but I did enjoy having a mode that would just output the file as is and force the output device to adjust for each track.
I think Peter intends the built-in exclusive to function as you describe, which after all is what the definition of wasapi exclusive is, but from his last post it sounded like he was considering the possibility of adding functionality that in case of the sample rate not being device supported would automatically resample to a supported rate, instead of returning an error message.  As a matter of fact, this is indeed what BASS library-based players do that incorporate bass.dll/basswasapi.dll for exclusive mode--fallback to a supported rate if the actual is rejected by the device.

Me, I prefer an error message.  Then I have the option to add the DSP resampler plugin I choose, setup as I choose, to resample the rates not supported by my own device.

Reply #47
Me, I prefer an error message.  Then I have the option to add the DSP resampler plugin I choose, setup as I choose, to resample the rates not supported by my own device.
This.
If the bit perfect is the objetive, then do not add anything to the path, but, when the sr diferences comes, there is always a dedicated Resampler on the DSP, and when the sr source is the same as the sr hardware, theres not loss in the path in that case.

Reply #48

No implicit resampling is done with exclusive mode; unsupported sample rates fail to play.

Reply #49
Realtek ALC662, driver version: 6.0.1.8036 (2.81). Trying to play 5.1 24-bit track in 1.6.7 beta 12.

foo_out_wasapi: 5.1 track is played. All channels are audible if "5.1" is set in Realtek HD Audio Manager, and only two channels are audible if "Stereo" is set.
Built-in exclusive: Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 6 channels (0x3F).