Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What can be known about Audible AA, AAX and AAX+ formats? (Read 18108 times) previous topic - next topic

What can be known about Audible AA, AAX and AAX+ formats?

http://www.audible.com/audioformats

The Internets talks about an AAX+ format, too. DRM notwithstanding, are they compatible with any standard or 3rd party player?

Reply #1
Audible maintains a list, on their web site, of payers that will work with their downloads.

Reply #2
There is a link to their list at the bottom of the page you mentioned.

Reply #3
wikipedia says .aa is usually mp3 or a speech codec.

Reply #4
Thanks.

Reply #5
The older .aa formats are apparently either ACELP or MP3, wrapped in Audible's proprietary DRM.

People say the 64kbps Audible Enhanced format is AAC-based; I can't find any reliable source for this but it obviously makes sense given that the format was introduced in 2009, is in a bitrate range where AAC has few competitors, and received device playback support fairly quickly.

Reply #6
http://osherove.com/blog/2008/7/6/introduc...ooks-drm-f.html
Though this hole has obviously been fixed since then.

The main point: the DRM is added when the file is downloaded, on the client side.

So I toyed around downloading a few files then aborting the downloads in the middle, this is what I have found:

Enhanced AAX files: VLC player neatly showed the chapters, so they are highly likely M4B, aka. AAC book files. Just like files from Downpour/Blackstone. They started to play though no sounds was heard. I don't know much about AAC files, this is the way they are supposed to work?

Lower levels: Could not play them at all. Strange.