Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: video plugin? (Read 9484 times) previous topic - next topic

video plugin?

Hi!
Though I don't know anything about how foobar components work and what they actually can do, I asked myself today if it could be possible to display videos in foobar. I had something like foo_albumart in my mind, but with videos instead of pictures. This would be awesome for people who have a lot of music videos and they could actually watch the video while listening to the song (The video itself wouldn't need to have sound because the soundfile would still be playing).
Is it possible to see such a component some day, maybe with .net2?

video plugin?

Reply #1
People really get narky if someone suggest video.

But I was thinking, surely it wouldn't be hard to make a form with a videolan or windows media or even quicktime player control, and then set it up as a panel, then allow it to be pointed to a specific file based on TAGZ or whatever?
hi

video plugin?

Reply #3
I'd love to see foobar dump video files to a simple directshow chain and a corresponding columnsui panel for the video. Nothing fancy, something along the lines of Media Player Classic. This way I could use foobar's powerful database functions to manage my movie and tv show collection.

But as many have already said the main focus of foobar is audio and I dont expect to ever see any video functions.

video plugin?

Reply #4
i've also heard that making one violates the License in some way or another.

video plugin?

Reply #5
  I think it's because video apps are often too bloated. I actually agree with Yotsuya, that it could (should!) be a simple chain, utilizing DirectShow instead of trying to be everything (like Winamp). But I would hope that it could get it's own input plugin - Then I will finally have a reason for organizing my collection of music videos. Hmm can you actually tag video-mpeg files?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

video plugin?

Reply #6
As far as I know you can tag AVI and of course MKV, MP4 (maybe MOV too, don't have any experience with it). About MPEG variant (eg mpg, dat, ts) I don't think those can be tagged. But to be honest I think foobar is as good as it is, I want a good audio player and foobar is very good at that, if the developers spend time to write a video plugin then it will be less time to make foobar into an even better audio player.

video plugin?

Reply #7
I'd love it too.....just not really feasible to have a video library in foobar as I rarely keep videos on my system to save space which means i might as well use MPC (the perfect video companion in my opinion)
My Name is Sean and I'm here to leech off your genius.

video plugin?

Reply #8
Yeah it is nice only if you have a large number of video files on your HD that is not popular yet I think. Also there's some freeware to manage your video already and for playback nothing beat MPC or mplayer.

video plugin?

Reply #9
I actually thought about music videos matching the song that is playing. I would'nt like to have videos in my playlist too, but with a component like foo_albumart you could view the matching music video while listening to the song. It wouldn't even have to be controllable, it should just show video files in the specific folder.

video plugin?

Reply #10

Doesnt it fall under this?

It is illegal to use this SDK as a part of foobar2000 components that operate outside of legally documented programming interfaces (APIs), such as using window procedure hooks to modify user interface behaviors. We believe components doing so to be harmful to our userbase by introducing compatibility issues and dependencies on undocumented behaviors of our code that may change at any time without any notice or an update to the SDK which would reflect the change

video plugin?

Reply #11
I think it's easy to implement such a component (though I'm not capable of doing it myself), but I don't think it's possible to synchronize it to the music.

1. Many music videos are a little bit longer than the actual music and/or have breaks the music doesn't have (extreme example: Michael Jackson - "Ghosts"; less extreme: Korn - "Twisted Transistor").
2. There are no "album versions" of music videos; in most cases the only chance for synchronous playback is the radio edit. There are also many videos featuring music versions that aren't publically available at all.
3. Even if the video file matches the audio file in terms of the music version (length etc.), chances are BIG they run asynchronously anyway because of different starting points.
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

video plugin?

Reply #13
I don't see what people's problem is.  Don't like it?  Don't download it.  Components aren't required.  I bet 2 years ago a lot of people would have the same issue with album art.

I for one would be very interested in this component.

video plugin?

Reply #14
Id be interested...MPC and VLC are just too hard to beat.....theyve got it down. Foobar should stick to concentrating on audio as its evident that the developers have expertise in this area

video plugin?

Reply #15
The main response I have seen from Peter regarding this, is that the foobar audio pipeline is designed specifically for what it is used for now. and that it would require a ton of work to make video even feasable, which means its not happening (along with the fact that I dont think Peter has any interest in it himself, which is the most important factor).
And if it was just some component that had a video lan player, it wouldnt really be able to use all the of the foobar features with videos.

video plugin?

Reply #16
I don't see what people's problem is.  Don't like it?  Don't download it.  Components aren't required.  I bet 2 years ago a lot of people would have the same issue with album art.

I for one would be very interested in this component.

If a program requires core changes to allow video then of course its going to effect everyone, component or not. And its something I wouldnt like to see happen. The foobar equalivant would be videolan.

video plugin?

Reply #17
I don't see what people's problem is.  Don't like it?  Don't download it.
It's not that easy. There'd probably be necessary changes to the sdk. --> Peter. There will be need for a ton of support (cause video sucks in general). For an audio player a waste of time.

video plugin?

Reply #18
Well obviously, if it was a hack - eg it was basically a panel with directx plugin (like I said), then it wouldn't need many changes at all, it would merely get the path to the file from tagz and play it. Obviously there'd have to be a bit more integration in order for it to accept foo's interface but I really don't see a horrific issue here.
hi

video plugin?

Reply #19
Couldn't we just use foo_run, to open a media player? For something like tool's idea?

video plugin?

Reply #20
We could but then there'd be no point. Foobar would need to be modified to accept avi,mkv and other video files into its media library and I think people actually want a panel for the video

video plugin?

Reply #21
Regarding the comment towards Winamp trying to be all. Let me explain how video is handled in Winamp.

Winamp's core has a video window and a custom rendering interface.
The input plugin can choose to render video to this video window by calling into the rendering interface. The audio is sent through Winamp's audio pipline. A generic DirectShow input plug-in is bundled for playing back any type of content whose DirectShow filters are available for. A separate input plugin for NSV is also bundled (NSV is Nullsoft's own container format made for streaming).

This way of displaying video can also be used in FooBar2000. Actually no core changes would be necessary at all as long as a panel plugin provided the video rendering interface which any input plugin could use in order to display video. Writing a simple DirectShow player like the one for Winamp would not pose any major challenges and you could keep the idea from Winamp's DirectShow plugin and allow the user to change which file extensions should be recognized as video.

The input plugin will then read the input file, demux it and send the decoded audio through FooBar2000's audio pipeline and render the video in the panel using the custom render interface.

Simple!

video plugin?

Reply #22
I can see where that would be easy in Winamp, since inputs communicate directly with the output plug-in. Since that is not the case in foobar2000, your input would have a hell of a time finding the current output latency.

Currently, visualization is the only API that has a chance at polling latency, and even that basically involves polling an audio and optionally spectrum packet with whatever offset you want from the current audible position.

And good luck connecting that to your input's current playback position, or even connecting that to your exact file, since the visualization API doesn't expose which file is playing. So you'd need to use another callback to track when track changes occur as well. Then you'd have to find some way for input to continue displaying video past its destruction, since it will be destroyed when it finishes producing audio, which happens when the last of the track is buffered, not when you actually hear the track end.