Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you save track positions in a playlist? (Read 1898 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you save track positions in a playlist?

Is it possible to save the custom track positions in a playlist? Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else. I'm not entirely sure what terminology to use when searching for this issue.

I want to be able to auto sort a playlist like normal (by artist, genre, etc), but ALSO have it remember the custom position of each track. Example: I create a playlist arranging all tracks from favorite to least favorite, then I accidentally auto sort by clicking on the [artist] column, now all custom arrangement of the tracks is lost.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe create a column for [%playlist_track_number%] or something? 

Reply #1
I am not sure whether I understand your question correctly.

Would [main menu] Edit -> Undo do what you are looking for?
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #2
I've never heard about anything like this... Maybe you should just save your playlist to .fpl file for a backup? Additionally Robertina has right - any mistake with sorting playlist or changing positions can be undone with just "Ctrl+Z" - like in nearly every Windows application.

Reply #3
In itunes there's a column in playlist view that you can click on to sort the playlist however you originally arranged the tracks. So if you want you can go ahead and sort by artist, genre, album, etc, THEN you can go back and sort by the original arrangement. It remembers each track's original position in the playlist (or their custom positions, what ever you want to call it).

Is it possible to make a playlist column like that in Foobar?

Reply #4
No, it's not possible to create such a column.

Reply #5
As q-stankovic says, neither foobar2000 nor a third party plug-in provides a function to restore a manually arranged sort sequence, that has been changed more than once and that can't be realized by f2k's Title Formatting, in one go. However the undo-command can restore stepwise your modifications by performing it several times.

As a work around you can sent your playlist's entire content to a new one and alter the sort order there. This way your original playlist remains untouched.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #6
As a work around you can sent your playlist's entire content to a new one and alter the sort order there. This way your original playlist remains untouched.

that's what i'd do.

maybe use that in conjunction with foo_utils. that can mark a playlist as read-only so you can't make any changes.