Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Most obvious case of audio placebo ever. (Read 12220 times) previous topic - next topic

Most obvious case of audio placebo ever.

Reply #25
Absolutely true on all counts. Trouble is, your neutral line is already tied to earth, either in your consumer unit, or at the last stage transformer - which I believe used to be on poles outside the property in North America (and in the movies they still are because they explode regularly during gunfights ), while in the UK I believe it happens back at the sub-station.
You can find earth connected at the consumer unit, earth connected at the sub-station, and earth via ground rod in supplies to different UK houses. It can make a practical difference to RCD disconnection times.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Earthing_Types

Cheers,
David.

Reply #26
Well  at begin, there's an alternate current, without any polarity. The ac adaptor convert the alternate current,  into continuous current, with a polarity.
The neutral sits at zero volts relative to earth, and the live cycles between +325V and -325V 50 times a second (Europe), or +156V and -156V 60 times a second (USA).

If you think there's no difference between zero volts and 325 volts then I have some career advice for you: don't become an electrician!

Well, I've made advanced lessons in electricity, but I realize I've never assimilated the basics.  At the end, the title is almost ironical.

Reply #27
In the OLDEN days it was common to have either a high value resistor or low value capacitor tying one side of the power line to the chassis. In that case reversing the power cord _can_ have an influence on hum levels. That SMPS brick does not any connection between the mains and output sides. Any changes are almost certainly imaginary but we do see and hear what we want/expect to see and hear.

I've seen power supply bricks whose negative DC output was connected to power line safety ground via the usual third pin. Fortunately they are rare.

Many bricks have only 2 wire cords.

Some bricks have 3 wire cords and continue the safety ground connection through the chassis of the brick (usually a bit of tin), but end the connection there.

There are only a few permutations of the possibilities and they are all represented in real life! ;-)