Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4559553 times) previous topic - next topic

Columns UI

Reply #4700
musicmusic, I have a couple of questions
1) Is the database search to create an autoplaylist part of the core or the default ui? I am asking this because right now you cannot create autoplaylists unless you have foo_ui_std
2) Are there any plans to work on the playlist switcher a bit? It could use a bit of polish to bring it upto the default UI's switcher which allows columns and such. You can add details like number of tracks etc right now to columns ui's switcher but a large amount of playlists make it confusing.
3) Did you decide if you were going to allow to add a separate search bar instead of just with the filters?
Thanks

Columns UI

Reply #4701
1) Is the database search to create an autoplaylist part of the core or the default ui? I am asking this because right now you cannot create autoplaylists unless you have foo_ui_std

Just to clarify, you can use both the album list window and the built-in library search regardless of what UI you're using (and you can make autoplaylists from both of these). You can only change their color and font schemes (I think) if you have the Default UI enabled, though. Which is something I'd love to see changed.

Columns UI

Reply #4702

Just to clarify, you can use both the album list window and the built-in library search regardless of what UI you're using (and you can make autoplaylists from both of these). You can only change their color and font schemes (I think) if you have the Default UI enabled, though. Which is something I'd love to see changed.

I am not using album list and the built-in library search is only available when fo_ui_std is in the components folder. It requires the default ui to work even though the library search functions come from the core IIRC. Maybe the gui part is only implemented in default ui. I just wanted to make this clearer

Columns UI

Reply #4703
A few pages back pecet asked:

How to delete group offset in playlist NG, or change it?
I mean this:

Thanks.

Which since I wasn't futzing around with more than one header at any time, I didn't quite understand what he was asking.  Here's my picture:

Image host
As you can see, there's an offset of about two characters in the header lines for each line in the header. 
Is there a way to make that offset not happen?

I mainly am annoyed by the fact that it generates dead space (cheerfully marked as such with a pink block) as this offset accumulates, thus pushing over the album art and all the other fun stuff in the playlist.

If there's no way to keep this from happening, then consider this a request for a new feature!

Also, while I am on about this, is there a way to specify if the header should draw the line to the end of the screen?  being able to specify if that draws or not would be nice as well.

Columns UI

Reply #4704
There is a bug regarding the tab stack

Columns UI

Reply #4706
Feature?
I was making a layout with 4 tabs, and only 2 appeared.
I'll post the screenshot later, I'm not at my pc right now.

Columns UI

Reply #4707
Musicmusic,

Hi, I’ve just started using Columns UI and I love it! A fantastic extension for a fantastic program. Thanks! I have a few feature requests, although please bear in mind I’ve only been using Foobar a few weeks now so regard me as a newbie!

Columns UI requests

1. Ability to change the style of specific text (bold, regular).

2. Ability to adjust the space above and below the group heading in NG Playlist.

3. Ability to specify whether text is antialiased in certain panels. (I really can’t stand antialiased text on my PC, but I have quite a large text size for my playlist which I think looks ugly not antialiased, so I’d like to be able to make just my playlist antialiased.)

4. Ability to show data such as replaygain and codec in Item Properties.

5. In the playlist, ability to inline-edit multiple fields in a single column. (For example, I have both “artist” and “featured artist” in the same column, so “The Source feat. Candi Staton” appears in one column.) Currently, the only way I can inline-edit the second tag is by assigning it to something like track number, which isn’t ideal. I suppose the option I’m requesting would be a tickbox that says something like: “Allow all displayed fields to be edited”.

6. In the NG Playlist, the generation of album art thumbnails seems quite slow on my PC (admittedly, an older machine). When you scroll up and down, the thumnails don’t appear immediately, which I find quite irritating. If possible, could you make the thumbnails pre-generate so that they’re ready to display before you actually scroll to them?

7. Unless I’ve missed something, there’s no way to actually view the album art in detail. Could you include an option so that double clicking on the album art (either in the art panel or the playlist) brings the artwork up in a larger window, or, better still, it just launches the image file so it appears in your default image viewer?

I also have a few requests specifically about the Album List panel…

Album List requests

8. When I use the Album List to move away from the currently playing track, then come back, the track no longer appears to be playing.

9. I can’t select multiple items in the album list! Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but it seems as though there’s no way to edit multiple tags with the Album List. For example, what are you supposed to do if you want to edit a tag across half your music collection? There’s no problem doing this with the Default UI Album List, you can select as many folders as you like.

10. The selection colour in the Album List is the default Windows selection colour. Obviously, I want it to match my Foobar colours. Could you please allow this?

11. Also, when you select an item in the Album List, you have to actually click on the text. It would be nice if you could click anywhere on the row, and also if the selection rectangle expanded to fill the whole panel (like the way the playlist selection works).

12. If you select a group of tracks and press Enter, it sends all the files to the playlist. But Enter is my shortcut for Properties, so I dont’t want this shortcut. Could you please remove this shortcut, or at least make it optional? There was no such shortcut with the default UI, so it wasn’t a problem.

13. In the Album List, an option to remove the “+” from any folder with no sub-folders. (In other words a folder that contains no folders will not be expandable.) I ask for this because: a) I have no interest in inspecting my tracks within the Album List, and b) this way, you could easily see whether a folder contains only tracks, or has any sub-folders.

14. Option to change the “+” to a custom icon? Personally, I’d like to make it look like a folder.

15. And last (but definitely not least): whenever I select a folder in the Album List, there’s about half a second delay before the tracks appear in the playlist. There was no such delay with Default UI — it was instant. I have to say, I find this delay really annoying. One of the things that made me fall in love with Foobar was how quick it was (to load, to access the database, and to update the playlist). It is one fast program! Now I realise the Columns UI is a lot more complicated than the Default UI, but if there’s anything that could be done to get the playlist as speedy as Default UI, it would be very much appreciated.

Then again, maybe it’s time I bought a faster PC. This is only a 1GHz Athlon. (Back in 2000, everyone envied my machine!)

Thanks for listening,
Lee

Columns UI

Reply #4708
1. Ability to change the style of specific text (bold, regular).

2. Ability to adjust the space above and below the group heading in NG Playlist.

You should check out EL Playlist - It offers the customization it seems you are looking for. However you will lose inline editing, but then you will have to make a choice. You could create two different layouts, one for tag-editing, and one for playing music.

3. Ability to specify whether text is antialiased in certain panels. (I really can’t stand antialiased text on my PC, but I have quite a large text size for my playlist which I think looks ugly not antialiased, so I’d like to be able to make just my playlist antialiased.)

As I already explained in your other thread, I don't think this will ever happen. I have never seen programs that had different settings of aa, and it really is a Windows setting - on or off. With your complaints, I fail to see why you even have it on.

Tried the "Properties" tab?

5. In the playlist, ability to inline-edit multiple fields in a single column. (For example, I have both “artist” and “featured artist” in the same column, so “The Source feat. Candi Staton” appears in one column.) Currently, the only way I can inline-edit the second tag is by assigning it to something like track number, which isn’t ideal. I suppose the option I’m requesting would be a tickbox that says something like: “Allow all displayed fields to be edited”.

I don't see how this would work in practice. Titleformatting is meant for you to format anything you like. If you choose to have an advanced formatting, I don't see why the developers have to make up weird workarounds to make a marginal usergroup happy. Also this could be solved in a "tag-edit" layout.

You could try make a "Maintenance" playlist (that's the way I do it). It contains the music I want to edit tags for and has a different view (note, the playlist filters).

7. Unless I’ve missed something, there’s no way to actually view the album art in detail. Could you include an option so that double clicking on the album art (either in the art panel or the playlist) brings the artwork up in a larger window, or, better still, it just launches the image file so it appears in your default image viewer?

Try foo_run. With this you can make a button that opens the image with your favorite application.

9. I can’t select multiple items in the album list! Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but it seems as though there’s no way to edit multiple tags with the Album List. For example, what are you supposed to do if you want to edit a tag across half your music collection? There’s no problem doing this with the Default UI Album List, you can select as many folders as you like.

Admittedly, I don't use Album List, but can't you just send each selected item to the same playlist and compose a playlist that way?

If you want to edit a tag across half or your entire music collection, send the parts to a playlist, rightclick and edit Properties.

11. Also, when you select an item in the Album List, you have to actually click on the text. It would be nice if you could click anywhere on the row, and also if the selection rectangle expanded to fill the whole panel (like the way the playlist selection works).

I believe this is a Windows control. This is how all Windows applications works, unless an object has been explicitly made from scratch. I disagree that this behavior should be changed, and I highly doubt that it will.

14. Option to change the “+” to a custom icon? Personally, I’d like to make it look like a folder.

Try foo_playlisttree_mod. It offers this kind of customization and has advanced options for creating playlists.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Columns UI

Reply #4710
^not possible to show technical data!
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Columns UI

Reply #4711

^not possible to show technical data!

Just tried it out. Nice panel, but it seems that it should be used for editing tags. Also there are better ways to show technical things as ReplayGain info etc.
1. Configure the statusbar
2. Create a foo_trackinfo panel
3. Create a column in the playlist

Columns UI

Reply #4712
I was referring to the 'Item properties' Panel in the before mine (see the ^ ?)
That you have the ability to SHOW it is obviously right, since that there are references in the titleformatting like %replaygain_album_gain%
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Columns UI

Reply #4713
I have a quick question:
I remember my old version of columns UI
had a "Title formatting" section in the options menu. I reinstalled my foobar, and put the newest columns UI (the "experimental" one). Now I know this menu was merged with other individual tabs, but I couldn't for the life of me find the "Copy" title formatting part. In the old columns UI, I could copy play list items, and it would create a formatted text copy of my songs, depending on the template, and the song tags.

Is this still possible, or was this feature removed, to allow the copy pasting of songs from one play list to the other? If that is the case, then is it possible to de-activate this feature, to re-activate the old one?

I relied heavily on this feature every time I wrote a wikipedia article about an album. It's extremely easy to write a formatted playlist that way.

Thx.

Edit: I was able to find the command under the context menu ("utils/copy names"), so I guess I'll just manually bind it to ctrl+C, if I'm allowed. I still can't find were to edit the script...

Columns UI

Reply #4714
Edit: I was able to find the command under the context menu ("utils/copy names"), so I guess I'll just manually bind it to ctrl+C, if I'm allowed. I still can't find were to edit the script...

Also, take a look at the official (but not included in the installer) foo_texttools. It offers great customization of titleformattings that are made available through the context menu

Columns UI

Reply #4715
Isn't there a way to edit it without foo_texttools? (which I'll also try out)

Columns UI

Reply #4716
Isn't there a way to edit it without foo_texttools? (which I'll also try out)

Search in the "Advanced" section of preferences under display: "Legacy ...."  There the copy command string still can be modified.

Columns UI

Reply #4717
Tab Stack:

Columns UI

Reply #4719
Is there a way to sort the results of the Filter panels?  I would like to have the Album panel I have made sort the albums by date.  I can do it if I embed tags as %date% - %album%, but I would prefer to not do this for various reasons.  Mainly that I am being difficult. 

Columns UI

Reply #4720
The only thing I envy of the default UI (the built-in album list, in fact, as I haven't switched back to the default ui in a long time) is the automatic and instantaneous refresh in the album list.  In Columns UI we have to manually select 'refresh tree', and then the view flickers and scrolls back to the top.  Will we have an autorefreshing album list in Column UI too?

Another minor, cosmetic improvement to the album list panel would be getting back the normal sized "+" expanders in the tree.  In the latest version of the album list panel they are shrunken.  (I use WinXP with the media centre visual style, and the expanders look really bad.  Perhaps the shrunken expanders don't look so bad in Vista)

EDIT:

Here's a comparison of the Album List Panel and the built-in Album List:

Columns UI

Reply #4721
Tab Stack:

Strange, does it happen reliably? If so export and upload the .fcl file so I can check that.

Will we have an autorefreshing album list in Column UI too?
No promises, but I'll have a look at it.

Another minor, cosmetic improvement to the album list panel would be getting back the normal sized "+" expanders in the tree.  In the latest version of the album list panel they are shrunken.
Not here, I think it is normally related to custom item padding, and also have a look at custom indentation and the font.

Columns UI

Reply #4722
Not here, I think it is normally related to custom item padding, and also have a look at custom indentation and the font.
Just as I made that screenshot I noticed the different fonts in the two windows.  But where did the font setting go in v0.3.1?  I know that it was possible to set the font in 0.2.3, but I just cannot find the setting anywhere now ...  Perhaps I'll just remove and re-add the component so the settings will be reset.

EDIT: Resetting the component did the trick (the fonts got reset too), but I still cannot find the font settings anywhere.

EDIT2: OK, I found it now.

Columns UI

Reply #4723
Is there a way to sort the results of the Filter panels?  I would like to have the Album panel I have made sort the albums by date.  I can do it if I embed tags as %date% - %album%, but I would prefer to not do this for various reasons.  Mainly that I am being difficult. 

I have a panel with dates I added music to database, it works very nicely to find recently added music I might forget about otherwise  For this it would be nice if I could have it sort in reverse, so the last date is on top instead of the first.

Columns UI

Reply #4724

I have a panel with dates I added music to database, it works very nicely to find recently added music I might forget about otherwise  For this it would be nice if I could have it sort in reverse, so the last date is on top instead of the first.

You should consider creating an autoplaylist for that exact purpose instead