Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless gain (volume) adjustment for MPC! (Read 4351 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless gain (volume) adjustment for MPC!

Frank Klemm has released software for lossless gain adjustment for MPC, similar to mp3gain for MP3s.

Volume level can be adjusted in the range of  -327db...+327db
You need to use Frank's new decoder or Winamp plugin also (old ones don't support the gain adjustment, but will otherwise work).

http://www.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/bin/mppdec-windows-0.98v.zip
Contains Windows binaries of 0.98v decoder and replaygain.exe gain adjustment software.

http://www.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/bin/dllmpc.zip
Contains new Winamp plugin.

Frank has also released new
* Decoder for Linux (libc6 dynamic linked)
* XMMS-Plug-In

http://www.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
So what can this replaygain do?

Can I encode with no -scale and chance it later if I find anything wrong with it?

Reply #2
It was misleading of Frank to call the program replaygain.exe and to compare it with mp3gain, because it isn't based upon either.

The Replay Gain proposal suggests a method of calculating the replay gain adjustment that is required to yield an ideal listening level. The Replay Gain proposal suggests that this value should be stored in the file header. Finally, the Replay Gain proposal suggests that players should change the audio data upon decoding in accordance with the gain adjustment value stored in the file.

The program mp3gain uses the replay gain adjustment calculation, and applies the suggested gain change directly to the audio data within an mp3 file. Since the audio data is changed, the gain change is compatible with any player (unlike the Replay Gain proposal, which requires players to read the gain adjustment from the file hearder, and do the job themselves).

Frank's replaygain.exe program stores whatever adjustment you send to it via the command line in the mpc file. The program does not suggest an adjustment itself, so the program does not use the ideas of Replay Gain (yet - I have a feeling that this is coming next though). Then, the new Winamp mpc decoder reads the value stored in the mpc file, and scales the data accordingly on playback. Since the change in gain is not applied to the audio data within the file, an older mpc decoder will ignore the gain adjustment in the header. In this way, replaygain.exe is different from mp3gain, which applied the gain change to the audio data directly.

If Frank includes the replay gain calculation in replaygain.exe, then (with his decoders) you will have full replay gain support for mpc, almost as I originally proposed. Cool 

So what use is it? For making all your mpcs sound the same volume - it's great! For preventing clipping - you should probably wait for Frank's implementation of clipping prevention.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
This is what I've been waiting for!!!

...but...how do you use it? What are the commandline options?

- Chris

Reply #5
so basically what you need is

replaygain --auto *.mpc

and the new decoder to understand the resulting files (otherwise the correction will be ignored).

David.
http://www.David.Robinson.org/

Reply #6
Sorry, this is all too obtuse for me. What do you have to do step by step to use Frank's replaygain? Some of us need to be hand held!
Ruse