Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Essential Software (Read 362303 times) previous topic - next topic

Essential Software

Reply #200
http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

Console is a Windows console window enhancement. Console features include: multiple tabs, text editor-like text selection, different background types, alpha and color-key transparency, configurable font, different window styles

this is how cool it may look:
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Essential Software

Reply #201
smok3, that's kewl! Although not strictly an essential tool for me (I think), I have to install it -- just to out-cool my fellow admins

Essential Software

Reply #202
pepoluan, you are right, it is not essential, basically just a skin
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8

Essential Software

Reply #203
Actually, it's got a killer feature that the standard console lacks: width resizing!

It's a fantastic app. Thanks for the pointer, smok3.

Essential Software

Reply #204
Actually, it's got a killer feature that the standard console lacks: width resizing!

You can define the console width in characters in the properties dialog. Since at least Win2000.

Essential Software

Reply #205

You can define the console width in characters in the properties dialog. Since at least Win2000.

obviously he is talking about interactive resizing.

Essential Software

Reply #206
nice & simple 'console' calc:

Essential Software

Reply #207
Automatic Wallpaper Changer

Regarding automatic wallpaper changing, there's a ms powertoy (which works, but hasn't many options) plus a lot of DYSFUNCTIONAL CRAP out there. Avoid using all these. AWC is what you need. Well done plus a good command line interface.

Essential Software

Reply #210
launchy 2 is out, http://www.launchy.net/

• Launchy has been completely rewritten with QT
o Your old plugins/skins will no longer work
o Your old configuration will be wiped
• A new look! New icons and skin thanks to Tyler Sticka
• Much better skinning support
• Options merged into a single, tabbed dialog
• Skin selection now shows previews
• Plugins much more configurable
• Launchy can hide when it loses focus
• Fade in/out effects
• Customizable transparency
• Optional shallow scan of directories
• Unicode support for Firefox bookmarks
• Vista support
• It’s just better.

---
another one:
pathSync, http://www.cockos.com/pathsync/

an interactive directory (path) synchronizer for windows

Essential Software

Reply #213
http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

Very usefull little tool if you have two or three monitors; and, unlike Ultramon, free and "carefully written" part seems to be true
What it does:

* It adds second taskbar to the extended desktop on Monitor 2 (either right or left)
* It can add third taskbar to the second Extended monitor if you have 3 monitors setup.
* It shows only applications from that Monitor
* It hides the applications on Monitor 2 from normal Windows Taskbar
* Adds a Move to Monitor button to all windows applications.
* Add Text Clipboard Extender (new 1.1.)
* Very carefully written, I don't want to crash my own desktop!

Essential Software

Reply #214
It's always nice to see someone else extol the virtues of 4NT.  It's so much better than CMD (in my opinion) that the two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

And for those of you (okay, us) that still have a machine or two running much older versions of Windows, know that even 4DOS still gets the occasional update at the 4DOS Revived! page.

Essential Software

Reply #215
'basic' scriptwriting proggy, based on mozilla;
http://www.celtx.com/

pros: simple to use, you can just write and not think about formating stuff
cons: primitive co-op usage, some really basic things are missing

Essential Software

Reply #216
Can't believe I haven't mentioned it yet... (and nobody else did)

Google Talk (downloadable windows client)

It's a Jabber IM client (can only use Google/Gmail Jabber account though, but of course you can communicate via text with users of other Jabber servers) that's, for me, as close to perfect IM as it gets.

Great VoIP - compared to Skype, it's equally fine on good connections, but much better on crappy ones. Small, simple, non-bloated, to the point, easy to install/configure/use - perfect when you want to talk via VoIP with somebody not computer savvy.

Unfortunatelly it doesn't have video yet, and its VoIP capability, based on open sourced Jingle library, is just starting to be implemented properly in other Jabber clients, so for now you're basically limited to original Gtalk client/Windows/Gmail Jabber account.

Essential Software

Reply #217
+1 at great voip in google talk, team playing bf2 was a joy (shame i don't have time for that anymore) and i didn't know it is jabber compatible (how to (ab)use) that?

Essential Software

Reply #218
It's not "Jabber compatible", it IS Jabber. You can actually use any Jabber client you like to connect with your Gmail jabber account, Google even provides easy configuration descriptions: http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/topic.py?topic=1415
Of course proper Jingle/VoIP is present at the moment only in original Gtalk client...but other clients, which are capable of connecting to other servers, are getting close (Coccinella and Kopete are closest to that goal, I think...adn there are also at least two apps for Symbian that allow connecting with Gmail jabber account and using VoIP)

Essential Software

Reply #219
File Menu tools from http://www.lopesoft.com/en/index.html

Organises your explorer context menu. It has some very useful commands. I needed "Copy content" which copies file content to clipboard with one click. Very useful if you embed CUEs or Logs to audio files.

Essential Software

Reply #220
for winxp only at this moment, the browser:
http://www.google.com/chrome

Essential Software

Reply #222
Hmm... are we running out of essential software nowadays?

Essential Software

Reply #223
Listed programs didn't dissapear anywhere from what I can tell...

But a bit more seriously - hey, it's a good thing, means that needs of many computer users are fulfilled quite good, at least in the confines of current UI paradigm.

Low level of activity in this thread is also a byproduct of the fact that, thankfully, we menaged to stop turning it into "post what software you use" (which would be useless/impossible to browse), instead usually trying to post things only if they weren't mentioned yet. Makes it much more clear and useful.

And with having in mind making this post more useful, few small essential apps that I've come to use (after checking they weren't mentioned via "Search Topic" function of course  )

SMPlayer - how on Earth I haven't mentioned that... (been using it for quite some time) For me it's essentially "foobar of video" - very nice (but simple) frontend to MPlayer, very light, fast, low on CPU usage, not relying on Windows/dshow codecs and beeing able to play basically any format (especially after simply copying, no installation required, Binary Codec Package from MPlayer homesite )

SpeedFan - as above, how I couldn't mention it for so long... Very light, no-bloatware, system temperatures, fan speeds and HDD S.M.A.R.T. monitoring app.

Duplicate Files Finder - does what its name says; and indeed, when compared with few other apps I've tried, its speed claims seem well grounded. Plus it's also very non-bloatware style app.

Essential Software

Reply #224
Wackget - small, fast, very non-bloatware download app was mentioned few times...however its homesite is down for a long time. You could download the version that was there from some software download sites, however:

Since it was, I believe, open source somebody took it and updated a bit with new version of wget, giving it larger files support and SSL.

Wackget 1.2.3