Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA tagging (Read 3771 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA tagging

First of all, thanks alot for the plug-in. Now I can masstag WMA files. (not that I really want to play them  )
I have a suggestion - when writting tags back to the file, I'd better to use "WMA standard" field names, like 'WM/AlbumArtist' instead of 'artist', 'WM/AlbumTitle' instead of 'album', 'WM/Genre' instead of 'genre', 'WM/TrackNumber' instead of 'tracknumber' and 'WM/Year' instead of 'date'. This way other programs would have less problems working with these files.
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

WMA tagging

Reply #1
You can already use this field names in masstagger. Simply enter e.g. WM/Year in the Field name edit box.

~ Florian

WMA tagging

Reply #2
You can already use this field names in masstagger. Simply enter e.g. WM/Year in the Field name edit box.

I mean that plug-in should convert field names when storing tags in files, so that I could use standard tagging and title-formatting scripts in foobar, but still have better compatibility with other WMA software.

For example, similar convertion is done for id3v1. And the plug-in already does the convertion in another direction
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

WMA tagging

Reply #3
I believe that's already the case

the tag reader converts WM/AlbumTitle and WM/Author to "Album" and "Artist", and strips off any other "WM/" from "WM/"ed fields

the tag writer converts Artist and Album back to WM form, and for all other tags, it prepends a "WM/", it first checks if the morphed field is present in the WMA file (that is, if you enter "Year", it checks if fields "WM/Year" already exists in the file, if so, it uses the "WM/"ed name, if not it uses the original name "Year".)

So if you are adding new fields to the file for the first time, to maintain compatibility you ought to "WM/" it (if it's WM/ed by spec, check the WMFSDK, and once the field is present in the file, the plugin does some conversion and checks for you.

that was the best I could do, all because of stupid microsoft meta tag names

WMA tagging

Reply #4
I believe that's already the case

No, it's not (at least, with the version, included in case's installer). Otherwise, I would not ask
I have tagged a lot of WMA files from foobar and then I realized that field names are not-in-MS-style. I checked this with Winamp and getID3.

WMA tagging

Reply #5
can you give some details?

what tags were you using?

Also newly added Tags, (Say if WM/Year was previously not present, will have "Year" as the field name, this is mainly because it's hard to tell what field names are supposed to be WMed

WMA tagging

Reply #6
I have used masstagger and all tag names listed in my first post. Field names were written in files as is, without any convertion.

Also I'd suggest you using a simple map, instead of heruistic, for conversion.

WMA tagging

Reply #7
there are too many fields with "WM/", if i have to check for every single one of them with strcmp, it will slowdown the tagging process, (can't be bothered to use a dictionary), also a simple map will prevent people from creating actual un "WM"ed tags,although i m not sure if anyone would want to do that, but...

WMA tagging

Reply #8
I meant a standard std::map or even a hash map. This will works fast enough even for a few hundreds of field names.
And if someone wants to create noncomplaint tags, you can always make an option to do this