Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WinZIP 11.0 beta using WavPack?! (Read 59878 times) previous topic - next topic

WinZIP 11.0 beta using WavPack?!

Reply #25
Does the compressor use the switch improving the ratio on mono material? If it's not the case, may David suggest to the editor to support it immediately (I guess it's not too late and that way there won't be any future incompatibility issue between different WinZIP implementation)?

Reply #26
Does the compressor use the switch improving the ratio on mono material? If it's not the case, may David suggest to the editor to support it immediately (I guess it's not too late and that way there won't be any future incompatibility issue between different WinZIP implementation)?

but is 4.4 considered to be stable already? using the most up-to-date WavPack would be obviously the best, but maybe the official, final (non-alpha, non-beta) new WavPack release should be the first. Besides, such a 'new' zip created by WinZip 11 will be incompatible with other archivers anyway, for the time being at least, and the similar problem could occur every time when WavPack is updated in the future, to 4.5, 4.6, ... ,5.0... In reality, most probably they (WinZIP devs) will update the WavPack part less frequently than WavPack is updated, and as long as both WavPack encoder and decoder in WinZip remain the same version, there will be no incompatibility issues.
anyway, I too would like to say congratulations

Reply #27
In reality, most probably they (WinZIP devs) will update the WavPack part less frequently than WavPack is updated, and as long as both WavPack encoder and decoder in WinZip remain the same version, there will be no incompatibility issues.
anyway, I too would like to say congratulations
IMO that's not a problem; most WinZip users are not familiar at all with WavPack and will just go 'goshwow' that their .wav's are suddenly compressed smaller than before. They wouldn't care if a newer WavPack compresses 1% smaller than before, as WavPack already compresses waaaaaay better than plain old WinZip can ever achieve.

Oh, and congrats too, David! It's nice to see these advanced free algorithms make it into the mainstream.

Although I wonder... is it possible that there's a Corel guy lurking in the forums, which explains how they managed to contact David before he managed to send and email to them...

Reply #28
Although I wonder... is it possible that there's a Corel guy lurking in the forums, which explains how they managed to contact David before he managed to send and email to them...

Oh, yes! Very likeley!

Congrats, David. Thumbs up to WavPack, "the best"!

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #29
I was thinking the same, HA.org apparently receives more attention than it seems on the surface. Anyhow, the WinZip/Corel guys also could have felt it's about time to contact David because of the blog articles mentioned in the first post...

But it's great now that WavPack has it's first major "mainstream" adaption, too. Hopefully there will be much more to come... there's some catching up to do with FLAC...

Gratz, David. Maybe you can get free Corel software now?

Reply #31
Anyways, I hope WinRAR adopts this in order to remain compatible.

I think WinZIP should have used .wv extension, not .zip, in order to just remain compatible with the rest of the planet.

Reply #33
Hmm, then an ideal variant would be .wv in .zip with "store" compression. WinZIP could recognise .wv in zip container and show the original .wav instead, and other archivers will show a wv-in-zip (and maybe a short .txt instruction how to unpack, etc.). Compatibility is a very important thing! 

Reply #35
You know, Sebastian, you sound like you're the Corel lurker

Reply #37
Maybe a free copy of WinZip. Anyways, I hope WinRAR adopts this in order to remain compatible.

Even better would be if they incorporate Wavpack into the RAR format too, with detection for PCM. RAR already compresses pcm audio far better then any norml archiver, even 7z.

Reply #38

Maybe a free copy of WinZip. Anyways, I hope WinRAR adopts this in order to remain compatible.

Even better would be if they incorporate Wavpack into the RAR format too, with detection for PCM. RAR already compresses pcm audio far better then any norml archiver, even 7z.

I am hopeful that other programs will adopt WavPack to remain compatible, and I am going to write up the procedure so it's easy to integrate the WavPack library with zip tools (or into other formats). I worked with WinZip on getting some bugs out of the beta and they have given WavPack (and me) credit on their website now that the final product is available:

http://www.winzip.com/ppmd_info.htm

I have not yet, however, seen the promised WinZip mug and T-shirt... 

Reply #39
RE: http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Press.jsp?mo...tterToCustomers

Here's another interesting development: with Corel's acquisition of InterVideo David's brilliant work might find its way into one or more of their multimedia apps!

Just the thought of H.264 video coupled with WavPack audio makes me salivate  ... yeah, yeah, never gonna happen and the MKV conatiner is unlikely to be adopted by'em... but I can dream...
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #40
What I hope this inspires is that other backup tool producers listen up and use Wavpack(or Flac) for compressing audiofiles in an archive.

I use Wavpack as a primary archiving tool for audio that has extra data chunks like Broadcast WAV info embedded. Wavpack doesn't mess with them. It seems that Winzip may be a good answer to my Protools(on PC) backup needs. The speed difference is just awesome when comparing Wavpack to anything like pure ZIP, RAR or StuffIT.

Reply #42
Well, maybe Igor Pavlov from 7-Zip could be convinced to add Egor's idea as he is going to add multimedia filters anyways.

This way the 7-zip would stay compatible with older versions:

A proposed new 7-zip version would pack wav files to a .7z.wv file and add this to the 7z archive.
The new version would unpack it to a wav file again.
An old version would unpack it to the .7z.wv file, thus basically to a wv. file, which has to be extracted by a dedicated unpacker then. 

Reply #43
Well, maybe Igor Pavlov from 7-Zip could be convinced to add Egor's idea as he is going to add multimedia filters anyways.

Good luck, I tried to talk him into it several times. LZMA is a great compressor, but it righteously sucks for audio data. Still, he shows no interest in adding wavpack or any other decent lossless compressor into it.

Reply #44
That is a shame, since now Winzip will be the only one to feature the speed of a lossless audio compressor.

I know what I'm talking about, as the music for our show (40 minute TV series) is delivered as a WAV, compressed with StuffIT. I did some tests, and Wavpack was about 15-20 times faster, never mind the compression ratio it had over StuffIT.

An archiver that can put it all in to file using Wavpack for the audio would be brilliant for archiving projects, just for pure speed reasons.

Reply #45

Good luck, I tried to talk him into it several times. LZMA is a great compressor, but it righteously sucks for audio data. Still, he shows no interest in adding wavpack or any other decent lossless compressor into it.

Well, I didn't know that. Well, that's bad.

Reply #46
Pavlov is currently taking into serious consideration selling the 7-Zip name and relative webiste (see here), anyway the LZMA GNU LGPL license will allow others or Igor himself to keep on using and developing the code, that said he's proven to be pretty reluctant to include the works of others into his projects so far.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #47
David,

You got the mug & t-shirt yet?

Reply #48
You got the mug & t-shirt yet?

I did, about a month ago! 

I was actually only guessing that there was going to be a mug. and there wasn't. However, it was two t-shirts (pretty nice ones too) plus 2 baseball caps and several pads of WinZip Post-it notes.

It was great because my wife is constantly complaining that I never get anything for my work on WavPack and so now I can show her this! 

Reply #49
It was great because my wife is constantly complaining that I never get anything for my work on WavPack and so now I can show her this! 

She's probably impressed  and expect youtube deal like billions from you!