Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex 0.8.0 Is Out (Read 9981 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Hi,

I just released Speex 0.8.0. This release brings new very high quality modes for both narrowband (at 24.6 kbps) and wideband (at 42.2 kbps). Also, someone contributed support for Win32 along with MSVC project files. Many bugs were fixed too and there has been some minor changes to the API. Unless a bug is found, this should be the final 1.0 API. Otherwise, the bit-stream remains backward compatible with 0.7.0.

One note about the new high-quality modes. For speech files (one voice), you shouldn't be able to tell the difference with the original. For music, the quality is (very?) good (unlike other Speex modes), though nowhere near the quality that can be achieved by Vorbis.

This release should be the last one before beta1 and bit-stream freeze. It is possible that this bit-stream be the final one, but I cannot promise. The API should be the final one, unless a bad bug comes out. So if your favorite feature is missing, now's the last chance to let me know!

Edit: Win32 binaries available at http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #1
Always this error compiling with both ICL6 and VC6.

Any idea?

C:\Internet\WinCvs\Retrieved\speex\libspeex\speex_header.c(61): error: identifier "VERSION" is undefined for (i=0;i<SPEEX_HEADER_VERSION_LENGTH-1 && VERSION;i++)

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #2
C:\Internet\WinCvs\Retrieved\speex\libspeex\speex_header.c(61): error: identifier "VERSION" is undefined for (i=0;i<SPEEX_HEADER_VERSION_LENGTH-1 && VERSION;i++)

What happens is that VERSION is defined from the build scripts. Just #define VERSION "0.8.0" and it should be fine.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #3
Great! Thanks for your help.

Speex binaries ver. 0.8.0 already uploaded to RareWares.

BTW: I removed the sources, since they can now be obtained from Speex' CVS at Sourceforge. And I pray to God that noone will complain <cough>.

Regards;

Roberto.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #4
I just released Speex 0.8.0. This release brings new very high quality modes for both narrowband (at 24.6 kbps) and wideband (at 42.2 kbps). Also, someone contributed support for Win32 along with MSVC project files.

If you want to blame "someone", it was me!!

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #5
If you want to blame "someone", it was me!!

I know it was you, but the thing is that I don't know your real name so I can refer to you

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #6
I know it was you, but the thing is that I don't know your real name so I can refer to you

Mr. John Francis Edwards.

Or Lord Edwards the 33rd.  (kidding)

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #7
Will Oggdrop or a similar frontend work for these binaries? or is there a frontend out there for Speex that I don't know about?

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #8
Will Oggdrop or a similar frontend work for these binaries? or is there a frontend out there for Speex that I don't know about?

I've not heard about a front-end for Speex. Otherwise, no idea about OggDrop. Anyone can answer that?

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #9

OggdropXPd does not act as a frontend to Speex, but it's an interesting idea!!  I'll take a leisurely look at the possibility.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #10
Ok, John, consider it a feature request. 

"Oggdrop 1.5 alpha: Now with Speex support!" I like the ring of that don't you? Takes care of our music AND voice recordings.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #11

"Oggdrop 1.5 alpha: Now with Speex support!" I like the ring of that don't you? Takes care of our music AND voice recordings.

OK, let me give it some serious thought.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #13
OK, here's a Speex frontend: http://home.wanadoo.nl/~w.speek/speex.htm

LOL 

BTW: although my name (Speek) resembles the name of the encoder (Speex) I have nothing to do with it other then that I made the frontend.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #14
how about a winamp plugin ?

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #15
how about a winamp plugin ?

I think it's too early to develop a plugin yet.

The API should be stabilized first.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #16
I think it's too early to develop a plugin yet.

The API should be stabilized first.

The API hasn't changed much since 0.4.0 (even though the bit-stream changed) and the current API should be the final one. BTW, there's already an XMMS plugin available.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #17
i want a winamp plugin, case ? 

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #18
Since a Musepack-cool-edit plug-in was released about a day after the request it doesn´t seem to be that difficult to program cool-edit-plug-ins, could someone also program one for speex?

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #19
Yes!

Front ends and plug-ins rule .

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #20
i want a winamp plugin, case ? 

You do?

Try this, but consider it alpha:
Plugin
source

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #21
Your plug-in works great! Not one crash, it´s very stable, but no seeking/time in the playlist and winamp can´t display this visualitation under the time.

Thank you very very much!!!

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #22
I made also filter for Cool Edit, binary & source.

Speex 0.8.0 Is Out

Reply #23

Well, I may disappoint you, but oggdropXPd (next version) does not support Speex. 

However,  speexdrop V0.0.1alpha has just been uploaded to Roberto!!

Input for encoding may be any 8 or 16 bit wav file, stereo or mono. Input wavs are resampled to either 8000Hz or 16000Hz and automatically (at the moment) downmixed to mono unless they are already in the specified format.

Decoding/playback options are the same as for oggdropXPd except for the absence, naturally, of vorbisgain tag interpretation.

Comments are welcomed and once the code appears stable (it tests out OK), and I've tidied it up, I'll post the source.