Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Huge bitrate differences while using VBR (Read 3376 times) previous topic - next topic

Huge bitrate differences while using VBR

I rip and converted my music collection with XLD and Opus set at 96 kbps and VBR, which was essentially the default. And the bitrates are all over the place, one album all songs have above 200 kbps and another barely over 100 kbps.

Also most of the albums I converted from FLAC with the same settings are not all over the place when it comes to the bitrate, this is very confusing.

Re: Huge bitrate differences while using VBR

Reply #1
Since you say that most of the files converted from your flac files have the expected bitrate, could it be that the "bloated" files are multichannel?  I believe the bitrate target is just for "stereo" content.

Reply #2
No, all files are stereo. The original source is the CD in all cases.

Edit: I found the answer, the artwork I added is being included when calculating the bitrate and I had huge files included. With the artwork the file had ~212 kbps w/o the artwork the went to 93.5 kbps. This behaviour is weird but now I know what is happening.

Reply #3
Out of curiosity, what software were you using to check the bitrate? Some of them seems to calculate the average bitrate dividing file size by the audio duration. It's not accurate and causes problems with embedded data, but works well enough most of the time.

Reply #4
I saw these with media-info on macOS and AIMP on Android.

Reply #5
Opus set at 96 kbps and VBR, which was essentially the default. And the bitrates are all over the place, one album all songs have above 200 kbps and another barely over 100 kbps
There's nothing wrong with that, it's OK. Some things are easier to encode with that quality level.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #6
There's nothing wrong with that, it's OK. Some things are easier to encode with that quality level.

Thankfully I found out what the reason for this was, the size of the album art.