Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Double Entries in Playlist (mp3 & cue) (Read 11373 times) previous topic - next topic

Double Entries in Playlist (mp3 & cue)

Hello,

is there any possibility to load only the cue-file and not the real big mp3 file. So there is anytime in my playlist the splitted tracks and after these tracks is the real mp3 file.
I load my files with albumlist (directory view) ...
It there any way to say if cue exist in this directory then add no mp3 files?

thx flo

ps: sry for my bad english ..

Reply #1
The best resolve I've seen for this is to rename the mp3 from <name>.mp3 to <name>.cue.mp3 and then exclude .cue.mp3 files in preferences.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
The best resolve I've seen for this is to rename the mp3 from <name>.mp3 to <name>.cue.mp3 and then exclude .cue.mp3 files in preferences.

Hmm any other way? I must rewrite every cue-file ...

Reply #3
You could just exclude .mp3 files in foobar...

Any other option is going to involve some work from you I'm afraid.

You can't embed the cuesheet and remove/rename the cue file, as foobar won't handle embedded cuesheets with MP3.

There are numerous ways to automate the process of editing the cuesheets.  It should take you five minutes.  There are many tools that will recursively find'n'replace text in files of a given type (one here), and there are many tools that will let you rename files of a given type (one here).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
Has any improvement to this been made recently?

Basically, foobar needs to be able to play DJ sets, which are always a single .mp3 and .cue file, each in a separate directory. It has to do this without opening the mp3 as well as the cue when i open directories.

The only way i can see is if there is code somewhere to say

if(cuesheet found with same filename as mp3)
  dont open mp3 as well
else
  open mp3

anyone? It is the biggest annoyance with foobar for me, and for a fair amount of people I know so would be great if there was a solution that didnt mean changing my actual media library!

Reply #5
Are the MP3 files and cuesheets named the same?  I.e.: are they named "<name>.mp3" and "<name>.cue"?

If so, one way may be to write a small script that would iterate through the folders and create a playlist, including cue files where an MP3 and CUE exist with the same name, or MP3 files where there is no accompanying CUE.  You would then drag this playlist (M3U) into foobar.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
That is an interesting way of sorting it but the idea is for foobar to do the required junk for me. Manually renaming files (even in a script) is something i really want to avoid.

The bees knees would be just dragging in my directories (as i do now) and having foobar only look at the cue files. Unfortunately it seems foobar doesnt support this without renaming to *.cue.mp3 and excluding that file type. This is a lot of effort for something im sure could be added using an inbuilt line of code to foobar somewhere!

Reply #7
Agreed - but until that time...

What I'm proposing is that you would instead drag the folder onto a batch file icon. The batch file would create a playlist intelligently, and potentially launch foobar to then play (or enqueue) that playlist.

Edit: To clarify: you would not be renaming your files.  The batch file would be iterating through all MP3 files in the folder, checking whether a cue file existed with the same name, and then adding either the MP3 or CUE depending on the outcome.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #8
so is there better solution than this?

Reply #9
maybe this component will do the trick?
http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_cuefilter

Havent been able to test it myself since I dont use cue-files in foobar. But judging by the discription it might be what you are looking for.

Reply #10
The above plugin has been a godsend, since I've found it. I love it

Reply #11
thanks. works great!

Reply #12
maybe this component will do the trick?
http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_cuefilter

Thanks for the tip, still works a treat with foobar v1.1.13 AFTER removing .cue from the Preferences > Shell Integration > Exclude File Types.

Now it would be great if this or another plugin also avoided double playlist entries when you have say MP3 and WAV versions in the same folder. I usually have lossless WAV/FLAC at the top level and then MP3 in a sub-folder. Even with this plugin foobar still loads both into the playlist. I'll e-mail the author of the plugin, see if he/she's interested.