Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Merging 2 mkv files (Read 13289 times) previous topic - next topic

Merging 2 mkv files

Some time ago I created a 2 cd XviD and aac encoding wrapped in an mkv container

I used the supplied merge the audio and video together and split it into 2 700Mb files so I could copy them onto CD.

I now want to keep a copy of this movie on my hard drive, but dont like having to load a new file half way throw the movie.

How can I join the two parts of this movie again?

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #1
see "file linking" in mkvmerge

later

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #2
that requires support in the player. Last time I used it it fucked the chaptors AFAIC.

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #3
playlist is a good and easy way to avoid merging the files, example asf:
Code: [Select]
asf path
part1.avi
part2.avi

or even easier m3u:
Code: [Select]
part1/braveheart_01.mkv
part2/braveheart_02.mkv

(cli command for making one would be 'dir /b *.avi >play.m3u' or something, or just use the notepad.)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #4
see "file linking" in mkvmerge

later

Will do!  Thanks

that requires support in the player. Last time I used it it fucked the chaptors AFAIC.

Does Media Player Classic support it?

or even easier m3u:

That works quiet well, except for that tiny gap when it changes files!

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #5
Well, theoretically the Matroska Stream Editor, which comes with mkvtoolnix, should be able to append any streams that are within the same container (if you have multiple video streams in the same file). The bad thing is, it has never worked for me, so far. 

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #6
AVI-Mux GUI can join mkv files

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #8
Each time I try to use that program, it crashes.  I can add the first mkv file ok, but when I try to open the second part of the mkv file, it just crashes the whole program?

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #9
What is the advantage of the MKV wrapper?

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #10
If the 2nd part crashes, then the file might be invalid.

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #11
I just did it with virtualdubmod.  Plays fine with mpc.

edit:  Upon closer inspection, there's a chirp in the audio stream (mp3, cbr 192).  Video looks okay.
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #12
What is the advantage of the MKV wrapper?

Any video stream needs at least some kind of wrapper.  And Matroska is the most flexible of containers at this point.  It can hold any type of packetized audio, video, or subtitles.  It offers very fast seeking, a high level of error tolerance, and can be extended to support darn near anything.

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #13
If the 2nd part crashes, then the file might be invalid.

I used mmg.exe to split most of my encodings to 2 cds.  But all of the 2nd parts make the AVI-Mux GUI program crash?

However, the files play perfectly!!!

Is it possible to correct the invalid files?

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #14
I just did it with virtualdubmod.  Plays fine with mpc.

edit:  Upon closer inspection, there's a chirp in the audio stream (mp3, cbr 192).  Video looks okay.

I have mkv = (XviD and (aac in MP4)) files.

I have used virtualdubmod to join the files.  The process completes successfully, but when the file is played and it reaches the joint, the video stops and the audio keeps going?

Looks like I must have invalid files, but why would they be invalid as I used mmg.exe to create the splits?

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #15
Hi,
Are there any any other tools to join (not link) mkv files, except AVI-Mux-GUI (it crashes on me  ?
---------
Sergo.

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #16
Sergo - 

I get the same

Merging 2 mkv files

Reply #17
I've found out that i have a bug in 1.16.5 preventing linked files from being read, as well as someone reporting the same problem, but with non-linked files.

Could anyone of you make small sample files which cannot be joined in avi-mux gui? I have not yet found a way to reproduce the problem