Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [CRASHWARE] V2M input component (Read 9228 times) previous topic - next topic

[CRASHWARE] V2M input component

https://github.com/blog/1103-ten-years-of-f...tions-on-github

mudlord.info/temp/foo_input_v2m.zip

Uses the source from that repo, like the V2M version checking and format conversions.
Might still be flaky.

Known issues:
* Songs with speech are not converted properly
* libv2 is not fully thread safe, so expect crashes with conversions.

Reply #1
Thank you, Mudlord! This is a plugin I was really missing all those years.
And of course a huge thank you to the Farbrausch posse for making this possible by sharing lots of their source code to the public freely.

Reply #2
Unfortunately it crashes here on Win7 x64 when trying to open/play v2m tracks

Reply #3
The author has asked that this component be marked as crashware, as it is not totally stable. The lack of multiple instance safety also means that if you use it with anything like Zao's Wave Seekbar, it will crash.

Reply #4
The author has asked that this component be marked as crashware, as it is not totally stable. The lack of multiple instance safety also means that if you use it with anything like Zao's Wave Seekbar, it will crash.

It crashes gloriously even with Waveform Seekbar uninstalled. But thanks for help, at least I can hear my favourite tunes in some rare cases

Reply #5
Unfortunately it crashes here on Win7 x64 when trying to open/play v2m tracks

Also Win7 x64 here, and no crashes at all. Hence it's appears to be not an OS relevant issue.

Reply #6
Also Win7 x64 here, and no crashes at all. Hence it's appears to be not an OS relevant issue.

So there's still a flicker of hope  Will research further, thanks!

Reply #7
marked as crashware, as it is not totally stable

If that's Mudlord's stand on it, it is of course OK.

But generally, I'd say that «[CRASHWARE]» is an 'avoid this junk at all cost' warning, and, say, «[UNSTABLE]» would be more appropriate as a warning against  'beta, be prepared to uninstall, YMMV'.

Reply #8
It's the V2M player's fault, though. As I suggested to him, it may be a better idea to just rewrite the whole thing in C++ and forget about the assembly optimization.

Reply #9
Farbrausch V2 source code is available on github.

Maybe it's possible now to write a stable input plugin? (Of course if anyone is willing to dig thru someone else's scribble  )

Reply #10
The source code isn't much help, since the original code is a pile of raw assembly language.

Reply #11
Oh woe!

Reply #12
Hi mudlord!

I would like you to look into these modified sources called MagicV2MEngine.

That thing plays modules with speech correctly as it uses pre-1.5 libs and is modified for Vista and such.

Taken from here:

http://www.dbfinteractive.com/forum/index.php?topic=2586.0

Reply #13
There is no interface to write output samples. It just is a replayer lib with its own winmm/dsound output routines, let alone seeking.

Reply #14
There is no interface to write output samples. It just is a replayer lib with its own winmm/dsound output routines, let alone seeking.

Then maybe you know of some v2m to wav renderer that could be used in conjunction with foobar's commandline decoder?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having issues with v2player.exe

Reply #15
No, I do not know of any V2M to wav/stdout writer.

Reply #17
No, I do not know of any V2M to wav/stdout writer.

There's one available here (including c++ source code): V2 wave writer. Does not work under Win7 x64 though, probably requires WinXP x32.
That's the v2player I'm having issues with. You can't specify output wav without knowing correct playtime.

Code: [Select]
v2player tune.v2m [minutes seconds output.wav]

Thus it can't be used with commandline decoder. (Well, it CAN be used, but all songs woud be forced to some default minutes and seconds).

Reply #18
hitchhikr's hack crashes here. I have an idea though. Maybe build a EXE based on the new v2m sources. Of course, old songs like Candytron and The Code Inside will break thanks to broken speech conversions.

Reply #19
hitchhikr's hack crashes here. I have an idea though. Maybe build a EXE based on the new v2m sources. Of course, old songs like Candytron and The Code Inside will break thanks to broken speech conversions.
That would be awesome! At least there are not too many songs with speech so one can manage.

What's hitchhikr's hack btw?