Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FFMPEG compression equivilents (Read 3170 times) previous topic - next topic

FFMPEG compression equivilents

The FFMPEG documentation for the flac encoder list levels of "compression_level (-f, -h, -hh, and -x) but those don't seem to be options for -compression_level which takes numeric arguments.

What are the corresponding numeric arguments and levels?  Googling this, my paws are empty.

Thank you
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Re: FFMPEG compression equivilents

Reply #1
Your question is unclear to me. Do you have any link to this "list levels of compression_level (-f, -h, -hh, and -x)"?

Reply #2
Ok, I got it. I got confused because you said "flac" when you meant "wavpack".

Reply #3
The "compression_level" is handled here:
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/release/4.3/libavcodec/wavpackenc.c#L155

One of the things it does, it sets "s->decorr_filter" which is used to pick an element from "decorr_filters" table, which is defined here:
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/release/4.3/libavcodec/wavpackenc.h#L640
as:
Code: [Select]
static const WavPackDecorrSpec * const decorr_filters[] = {
    &fast_specs[0], &default_specs[0], &high_specs[0], &very_high_specs[0],
};

From that, it would seem that:
  • -f = 0
  • wavpack default = 1
  • -h = 2
  • -hh = 3
and values above 4 probably correspond to "-x[n]" option.

Oh, and if you don't provide "-compression_level" then ffmpeg will default to s->decorr_filter = 0, which would be wavpack's "-f". Not sure if that's intentional (assuming I'm right in the first place).