Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Custom control/front end DLL for Lame dll? (Read 18984 times) previous topic - next topic

Custom control/front end DLL for Lame dll?

Reply #25
@jmartis Sorry for the delay, but here is a new modified 3.93.1 dll: http://rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedll_MOD3.93.1.zip It is slightly different to the 3.98 version, so you'll need to check the ini file for usage. Let me know if it's OK, or otherwise. 

I've now uploaded the expanded 3.98 version as the 'official' modified version on Rarewares.

Reply #26
Hello John, I configured lame_enc.ini like this: (Edit: this is for 3.98 MOD)

LamePreset=CBR96
b=0
B=0
q=3
Stereo=JS
Scale=0.0
Resample=44100
Lowpass=15000
ExperimentalY=0
ExperimentalX=10,3

As you can see the stream should be CBR 96kbs 44100Hz. In the oddcast plugin, there is set 40kbs and 16khz which should be ignored by the lame dll.
However, the resulting stream is around 110kbs, it is VBR and with 16khz sample rate which oddcast managed to push through.
1) Why the CBR preset does not work?
2) How could oddcast push through the sample rate parameter?

EDIT: Thanks John, I'll try it out. Just sorting out the 3.98 one now.

EDIT2: did you include the custom parameters line in the 3.93.1 mod?

Just tried the 3.93.1 now, and it also produces VBR output no matter what.

Reply #27
Can't confirm this. 96 kBit/s stream is being produced at the requested sampling rate. Sampling rate in Oddcast does influence the AF bandwidth, but LAME nevertheless produces output rate configured in the ini.

Never leave the sampling rate parameter in standalone Oddcast to anything else than 44100. The program is always recording at this rate and will pointlessly resample, the resampler is also poor quality. Resample with lame if needed and supply the input with true 44100.

The Foobar plugin will operate at whatever rate is incoming from foobar. Use PPHS resampler if needed and set Oddcast's rate to match it.

Reply #28
hmm, I use Winamp plugin, and its not Oddcast but Edcast now. The sample rate in Edcast ovverrides "resample" parameter in Lame dll.
The stream is produced VBR, even though I have set "CBR96" in the .ini file.

Reply #29
I don't pay respect to anybody's trademarks. 

The issue with sampling rate was already fixed in 3.98, wasn't it? I reported it to John33 and he uploaded a new version.

Reply #30
I downloaded the version from Rarewares and it does not work. I tried "CBR96" and "CBR096", but always the stream produced is VBR and seems to be average bitrate approx. 2x of what I set in Edcast. (if I set 40kbs in Edcast, the stream is ~90kbs VBR)

Reply #31
Well, I tried it again and it seems to be pretty independent on the bitrate I set in Edcast. It is most likely defaulting to -V2 no matter what I do, I tried b=96, B=96, preset=CBR96, and it still results in ~200kbs VBR stream... it stutters because my internet connection is not so fast.

Reply #32
Hmmm, this is pretty puzzling. All my testing is done in CDex and both modified dlls perform exactly as expected. The only input acted upon within the dll code that is passed from the calling program is the input samplerate and the private, original, CRC and copyright flags. Everything else is set from the ini file,  or uses defaults. Any more information would be helpful as I cannot reproduce this!

Reply #33
@jmartis: you may want to verify that the correct DLL will be loaded by using the dependency walker:
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Reply #34
Regarding the Edcast Winamp 3.1.21 plugin: I have analyzed the file access made by "lame_enc.dll (3.98.2) modified to use INI File" and discovered that lame_enc.dll looks for the lame_enc.ini file in the ..\Winamp\Plugins folder. The reason for this discrepancy probably has to do with the calling plugin's location (..\Winamp\Plugins\dsp_edcast.dll) and Edcast's requirement to place lame_enc.dll in the Winamp root instead (..\Winamp\lame_enc.dll).

So to override Edcast's LAME settings, place lame_enc.dll in the root of ..\Winamp and place lame_enc.ini in ..\Winamp\Plugins.