Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.6.5 - v. 1.6.9 Album Art Viewer do not update Cover Art (Read 2755 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: foobar2000 v1.6.5...

foobar2000 v1.6.5 - v. 1.6.9 Album Art Viewer do not update Cover Art

From version 1.6.6 up to the current version 1.6.9 there is still a cover art bug.
I have analyzed this apparent bug in more detail:

- For example: Many single tracks in one folder, Foobar Playlist used.
- When playing individual titels by double click, in many cases the cover photos are not updated.
- This phenomenon is related to the metadata !!!
- No update of the cover photos:  Jump from/to files if they are the same in content of metadata
  (both without metadata are also the same).
- Update of the cover photos: Jump from/to files with different metadata.

In 1.6.6 something was apparently changed with the cover display.
Solution:  Bugfix, so that the cover photos are reloaded every time the title is changed, as before version 1.6.6

Re: foobar2000 v1.6.5 - v. 1.6.9 Album Art Viewer do not update Cover Art

Reply #2
Problem noted, thanks for reporting.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
@Peter: Thank you very much for your quick reply. Great, I'm glad that the issue should be fixed soon. :)

Reply #4
I'm not sure if this is related to any of the existing artwork loading issues reported earlier, so let's add this to the pile.

If you are playing a track in a folder where no folder.jpg resides, if you add a folder.jpg to the directory while a track is playing, the new artwork isn't displayed, even if you change the currently highlighted track to another one (that will show the artwork) then back to the currently playing track. Stopping playback and restarting it is required to reload the newly-added folder.jpg.

Reply #5
Are you implying that it should always have a folder-watch in place for the currently playing track, so it can detect if external art is added or removed during playback?

Reply #6
A simple refresh item on the context menu would do. It's something I offer on my artwork script included with JScript Panel...

IIRC, Columns UI offers similar.

edit: changing type and back again does the same thing, :P

Reply #7
Are you implying that it should always have a folder-watch in place for the currently playing track, so it can detect if external art is added or removed during playback?

Not necessarily. I was simply describing the current behavior, desirable or undesirable, in case someone runs into it or the powers at be feel like that warrants a change. In the 10+ years of using foobar2000 that's the first time I've noticed it so clearly it's not that big a deal.

I was under the assumption that the artwork file is decoded each time the highlighted track changes (assuming you have "prefer current selection" selected) so it was strange, from my perspective, that it didn't do that in this specific situation.

Though to your point, a filesystem notifier is already in place if a folder is being monitored.

Reply #8
Nope, artwork is cached when the metadata is loaded. I don't know how that's handled for track changes, regarding external artwork.

Reply #9
Fixed in 1.6.10 beta 1-
https://www.foobar2000.org/download
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #10
@Peter: Checked v1.6.10 beta 2 today and it works as expected again (both with my music collection and Sergey77's test files). Thanks for the fix. :)

Reply #11
I also appreciate this fix. Thanks.

Reply #12
@Peter: Checked v1.6.10 final. The problem no longer exists. Thanks