Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA VBR compared to the ALT-PRESET STANDARD (Read 4033 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA VBR compared to the ALT-PRESET STANDARD

My currnet music library is encoded all in WMA VBR 135-215Kbps. I am thinking I dont have the best of hearing..but for those of you that do. Is it possible to hear a difference between WMA VBR@135-215 and a LAME MP3 encoded at the ALT-PRESET standard?
As for DRM issues and compatibility..I have only had issues with the music I downloaded from microsoft with DRM and compatibility my car stereo plays both as does my portable music player.Thanks for any advice.

Reply #1
If you can't hear a difference then it doesnt really matter now hmm?

Well uhh looking at my sig, I can't say much.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #2

Well uhh looking at my sig, I can't say much.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=298308"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your probably right..but knowing that theres a better compression method tends to make me overly paranoid about the quality of my music. Not only that, my logitech Z640 speakers are far from anything high end. I encoded some Led Zepplin this morning on alt-preset extreme and ended up with smaller files then compared to the same songs compresed VIA WMA VBR (overall lower ~bitrate) 
I supose for me its peace of mind knowing that my music is compressed while maintaining the best quality. I was just curious who here and hear the difference? And if so what audibly different?

Reply #3
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=298308"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm, it can matter if TurboFox uses not good speakers now and will change it for something better in future. Anyway I think ther is no listenable difference on EASY samples. I don't think you are listening to HARD samples like 'fatboy' or 'castanets' all the time you drive the car. 
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #4
If you are paranoid, go lossless. If you're not, then why should you care if you don't here the difference?
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #5
If you are paranoid, go lossless. If you're not, then why should you care if you don't here the difference?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=298338"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok....I'm wanting the best quality/compression threfore I'm not just going lossless and calling it a day. I care because
peace of mind knowing that my music is compressed while maintaining the best quality
and as de Mon stated
Hmm, it can matter if TurboFox uses not good speakers now and will change it for something better in future. Anyway I think ther is no listenable difference on EASY samples. I don't think you are listening to HARD samples like 'fatboy' or 'castanets' all the time you drive the car. wink.gif

Reply #6
(note: I don't use lossless myself)

I'm sorry, but the best quality is lossless. It is the only way of assuring all of your rips sound good.

If you are asking if it is possible to hear a difference between WMA VBR and LAME APS, the answer is: for some people, yes. Is LAME APS always transparent: not for all people.

But what is audibly different for you? No one knows...
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."