Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CueTools 2.1.6 | Truncated Audio Files | Advance Settings Question (Read 2780 times) previous topic - next topic

CueTools 2.1.6 | Truncated Audio Files | Advance Settings Question

I use CueTools 2.1.6. to transcode either one long APE (or FLAC) track or multiple APE tracks into FLAC-files, after which I regularly check the results of some with Lossless Audio Checker v1.9.1. Too many of the FLAC files show up in the results as truncated, and in some instances severely so with the sound cut off at the end of a song.

My knowledge of the technical issues limited as it is, I started searching for an explanation and a probable solution. This led me first to the CueTools Wiki, then the Advanced Settings in CueTools- and eventually the forum. However, I am still non-the-wiser, and hence this post.

What is a possible explanation for the source of the truncation, and is there anything in particular I should pay attention to that can prevent this from happening at all?

Thank you.

Re: CueTools 2.1.6 | Truncated Audio Files | Advance Settings Question

Reply #1
What is a possible explanation for the source of the truncation, and is there anything in particular I should pay attention to that can prevent this from happening at all?
The detected frequency "cutoff" shown by Lossless Audio Checker is likely in the original file(s) and Lossless Audio Checker (AuCDtect, Audiochecker, TAU Analyzer) are not 100% reliable.

Audio files being cut improperly (truncated) can be caused by the Gaps handling setting (Gaps Left Out).
korth

Reply #2
Audio files being cut improperly (truncated) can be caused by the Gaps handling setting (Gaps Left Out).

Thank you for your answer. As far as gap handling is concerned, I assume you refer to the  "Extra" Settings, namely "Pregap", "Data track" and "Offset"? I usually do not tamper the application default settings, because I do not fully comprehend the consequences of such actions. So any pointers towards best practices are most welcome. In every case so far, CueTools was transcoding from proper cue sheets, and I enabled it to check the results against the Accuraterip database. Should this action not correct some errors?

Reply #4
Thank you korth.

Gaps Handling: The Gaps Handling setting is: Gaps Appended + HTOA.

Accuraterip: I only check to see if the Accuraterip results are accurate, or not, once the encoding job completes.  Otherwise I leave it well alone, because I have no idea how to derive benefit from an inaccurate result.

Reply #5
I use CueTools 2.1.6. to transcode either one long APE (or FLAC) track or multiple APE tracks into FLAC-files, after which I regularly check the results of some with Lossless Audio Checker v1.9.1. Too many of the FLAC files show up in the results as truncated, and in some instances severely so with the sound cut off at the end of a song.
I still don't see what Lossless Audio Checker has to do with truncated files. LAC is just looking for frequency cutoffs that might indicate lossy audio data. So what's your actual problem? Frequency cutoffs? Truncated files? Both?

Reply #6
@shaboo

I still don't see what Lossless Audio Checker has to do with truncated files. LAC is just looking for frequency cutoffs that might indicate lossy audio data. So what's your actual problem? Frequency cutoffs? Truncated files? Both?

I am very thankful for your response, for the questions you raised just cleared up a serious misunderstanding on my part about the results reflected in LAC. I erroneously assumed "cutoff" was being used in the same sense as "truncated" in as far as it means shortening the duration of the sound file- not cutting off the frequency. To make matters worse, the very first file I checked with LAC that displayed a "cutoff" result, was truncated too. My wrong conclusions led to the wrong assumptions for the rest of the tests.

Thanks to both you and korth, I have now gained a step in my understanding of the applications at hand.

Reply #7
I never understood the obsession/motivation behind programs like this. Are people afraid that they aren't getting what they think they paid for?