Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vista: FLAC to Apple Lossless (Read 6621 times) previous topic - next topic

Vista: FLAC to Apple Lossless

Is there any software which allowed us convert FLAC files to Apple Lossless files directly?

Currently, I use Winamp to convert FLAC files to be WAV files,
and then convert WAV files to be Apple Lossless with iTunes.
But I'm affraid there is a loss with twice converting step.
Please help me!

Currently I use Windows Vista on Compaq CQ40 328TU notebook.

Reply #1
dBpowerAMP allows for the direct conversion of FLAC to ALAC.  It isn't free but it will do the job.

Reply #2

There is no loss in either step (assuming things are not broken), so there will be no loss with converting in this way twice, or any number of times. You will gain convenience with a direct conversion, and you will preserve tags, but there will be no difference to sound quality.

Reply #3

There is no loss in either step (assuming things are not broken), so there will be no loss with converting in this way twice, or any number of times. You will gain convenience with a direct conversion, and you will preserve tags, but there will be no difference to sound quality.

I'm asking this because there is only 44.1kHz 16-Bit and 48kHz 16-Bit to choose. But no 96kHz 24Bit.
How can I convert it to be 96kHz 24Bit file?

Reply #4
There is no point in you going from a 16-bit 44.1KHz WAV file to a 24-bit 96KHz FLAC/WAV file.  You only want to use the "higher" settings if your source content matches that.

Reply #5
You're only losing tags converting to WAV.  Instead use Winamp to convert to WMAL.  iTunes will pick those up and ask you if you want to convert them.