Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "ASIO" vs. Directsound (Read 56010 times) previous topic - next topic

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #25
So if an ABX test shows a result that is different from FACT, aka the truth... then the ABX is right, and the truth is wrong?

Well, I have nothing further to add to this thread then.  lol.

With DirectSound output, then kmixer.sys will mangle the audios least significant bit(because of volume control function), however this bit-mangling isn't percievable to the human ear and hence, using ASIO or DirectKS for playback purposses is utterly pointless. The only valid reason for using those outputs for playback purposses is when you have buggy DirectSound drivers, or when some special features are available only with ASIO, like e.g. over 16 bit precision or something like that, but again, that has nothing to do with the output method in itself i.e. that DirectSound should be of any lower percievable sound quality than the others. Theoretical yes, but percievable, no.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #26
humans dont know the entire truth. You are not omnipotent. All your knowledge is just a fraction of whats out there. "Fact" is just a objectively-twisted word for "logically true according to all those aspects which we know and considered, unless we made a mistake". If the information on which the "fact" is based is flawed - or if other aspects are relevant which weren't known or considered - then an apparently "true" fact easily can become "false". All your "knowledge" is at best "highly probable" but never "absolutely certain".

What you call "truth" means "everything which is". Since you are not god, you are very far away from even having the slightest grasp of "everything".

Welcome to mortality.

Very well said!
[Juli@ v0.979][foobar2000 v0.9.5.1b2][foo_out_asio.dll v1.2.6]

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #27
There is no such thing as truth....only perspective.
A.Philosopher

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #28
I have tried both ASIO4ALL vs. DirectSound on my Windows XP system with my Creative SB Live! PCI card.

ASIO4ALL has caused BSoD crashes on my system.  It typically happens when I'm playing music in my software media player using the ASIO4ALL output interface.  While I do this, I am web browsing and come across web sites that have embedded Flash or other video/animations that play audio.  Or, I'll be playing a game and want to turn down the music, preferring to listen to my own music instead via that software media player.

It seems multiple apps all trying to play audio at the same time cause the BSoD when using an ASIO driver for any of them.

I don't get this with DirectSound/WaveMapper.  They all coexist happily (well, as happily as can be expected when multitasking) without BSoD crashes if I eliminate ASIO4ALL from the mix.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #29
It's likely related to a change in the layer of filters somewhere relating to kernel streaming audio drivers.  Because I had the exact same thing happen with Virtual Audio Cable after a windows update about 1.5 months ago, and had to uninstall it until a new version was put out without the problem.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #30
@WonderSlug:
Why do you use ASIO4ALL with an SB Live, instead of the Kx drivers? ASIO4ALL is for the soundcards of which its drivers don't support ASIO.

Also, if not supported via hardware, ASIO can only play one audio source at a time. When wanting to play a second one, it keeps paused until the first one is stopped, so your BSOD crashing actually reflects that the drivers don't work for you in your setup.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #31
' date='Feb 10 2008, 05:44' post='546475']
@WonderSlug:
Why do you use ASIO4ALL with an SB Live, instead of the Kx drivers? ASIO4ALL is for the soundcards of which its drivers don't support ASIO.

Also, if not supported via hardware, ASIO can only play one audio source at a time. When wanting to play a second one, it keeps paused until the first one is stopped, so your BSOD crashing actually reflects that the drivers don't work for you in your setup.

Because I first heard about it last year and a lot of people were raving about ASIO and how it made things sound better than DirectSound.  So, I decided to give it a try, and it works great, if I use only one app to output sound through ASIO.

If I try multiple apps, that's where the problems occurred.  So, I switched everything back to DirectSound.  I don't have any external music devices (like MIDI keyboards or drumkits) that would take advantage of ASIO.

I don't recall noticing much of a difference in audio quality over using DirectSound or Wave Mapper.  I guess my system was already tweaked pretty well to begin with, since with headphones on, I don't notice any interference or distortion in the audio.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #32
I have a very strange "problem". I'm pretty sure that I hear difference between ASIO and DirectSound (I've also made a quick blind test having my brother change the output methods in foobar2000. I was right 3/3) but...  I prefer the sound from DS (god, I really didn't want to say that). ASIO is overwhelmingly "bright" to me.  Is there any logic in that at all?
I use E-MU 0404USB with foobar2000 0.9.5.1 and Sennheiser HD595 on Vista64.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #33
I have a very strange "problem". I'm pretty sure that I hear difference between ASIO and DirectSound (I've also made a quick blind test having my brother change the output methods in foobar2000. I was right 3/3) but...  I prefer the sound from DS (god, I really didn't want to say that). ASIO is overwhelmingly "bright" to me.  Is there any logic in that at all?
I use E-MU 0404USB with foobar2000 0.9.5.1 and Sennheiser HD595 on Vista64.

I've the same problem. I think ASIO is different in every program 

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #34
Possible reasons:

- ASIO bypasses any effect that the soundcard driver provides. This includes equalizers, reverbs and mostly any other switchable option for audio.
- The sampling rate can be different for ASIO compared to directsound.
- Related to the previous, but different consequence: with directsound, it may be resampling the sound if you have it open with different applications (say, you have a browser with flash open, for example).
- Since you have an EMU, the ASIO mode is native (i.e. I understand you don't have ASIO4all installed). This means the implementation is all EMU related (which is a Creative brand...)
- Since ASIO is assumed to be bitperfect (although this was not the main goal for ASIO), if it really is brighter, it is clear that directsound is applying a filter somewhere for you.

At last, but not the least... you can perfectly be imaginating it.

Edit:
I think ASIO is different in every program huh.gif

Could you clarify what you mean with that? ASIO goal is to be a fast mechanism for audio to be sent to the soundcard, without intermediates. Of course each application has to develop a bit of code to interact with an ASIO driver, but the operations often include less work.

Edit 3:
Deleted edit 2. volvme+'s post is old.

"ASIO" vs. Directsound

Reply #35
I have a very strange "problem". I'm pretty sure that I hear difference between ASIO and DirectSound (I've also made a quick blind test having my brother change the output methods in foobar2000. I was right 3/3)...

3/3 = meaningless.