Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K's Replaygain Feature (Read 9288 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K's Replaygain Feature

How does the new ReplayGain feature in 0.31 work for MP3 files?  I scanned a file in foobar, it applied a gain, altered my file somehow (caused the date/time stamp to change), but when I rescanned the file in MP3Gain, it was still at the original volume.  Does FB2k replaygain feature work similar to VorbisGain or something like that where information is stored in tags, within the file itself, or some other file, and only FB2K applies the gain when used?  Hope I'm asking this right.  I'm obviously confused how FB2K changed the volume on my MP3 files without applying the gain like MP3gain does.  I didn't think that was possible with MP3.

Daffy

Reply #1
fb2k doesn't modify mp3 frames, it stores vorbisgain-style fields in apev2 tags.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
OK, I've got something new to learn.  I don't know what apev2 tags are.  Can this information be deleted somehow within foobar if I don't like the applied gain?  Or is there a way to remove this tag from the MP3 using some other software.  I'll go do some research.....

Also, thanks for the quick reply.  And keep up the good work..... 

Daffy

Reply #3
Yes, this is something I'd like to see in foobar, a way to remove the gain applied, say a 'gain 0' option from the drop-down menu?

Good Idea, suckass idea? ^^^

Reply #4
"remove replaygain info" command is already implemented in current internal.

Reply #5
Is it possible to implement mass albumgain calculation based on album tag, e.g if bunch of albums selected in playlist -> rightclick option to scan them and apply gain per album (per group of tracks with same %album% values)?

Reply #6
i guess it can be done, would be somewhat hacky though, but i get the idea (useful for mass-scanning and just leaving the computer running for hours), noted

Reply #7
"remove replaygain info" command is already implemented in current internal.

I'm sorry, but I'm too stupid to figure this quote out.  Foobar is foobarring my MP3s by adding these tags, and I can't seem to get rid of them.

When I right click on a file and select "show file info", my MP3 has this in the technical info area:

replaygain_track_gain = -7.439999

How the hell do I get that out and prevent foobar from even applying this tag in the first place?

I want to use MP3gain instead of apev2 tags.  I don't want both frame adjustments and tag settings.

Forgive my ignorance....

Reply #8
ehem, scanning currently played file is disabled by default, you shouldn't have enabled it first.
"remove replaygain info" command is in current INTERNAL build, which exists only on my computer so far, you will have to wait till tomorrow or so for 0.32 to come out.

Reply #9
ehem, scanning currently played file is disabled by default, you shouldn't have enabled it first.
"remove replaygain info" command is in current INTERNAL build, which exists only on my computer so far, you will have to wait till tomorrow or so for 0.32 to come out.

Doh!  >_<.....slowly moves away from computer to wipe egg off face....

Hey.  That's what makes a forum great.  Thanks again for helping me out.

Reply #10
Well until you get the option from Foobar 2k, you could use:

tag.exe --ape2 -t "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=+0.0000 dB" *.mp3

you can get Tag.exe from Case's website

that command line would reset the gains to 0 db ..
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #11
OK, I still don't understand exactly what Foobar does during playback.

First, what does the 6dB hard limiter exactly do?

Second, what does the replaygain do when default options selected (album gain, skip scanning files (...) enabled)?

Reply #12
6 dB hard limiting kicks in when a signal is over -6 dB in volume.
It turns it's volume down to -6 dB.

<edit>
Of course it can destroy dynamics, but it's better than clipping anyway.
</edit>
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)

Reply #13
Second, what does the replaygain do when default options selected (album gain, skip scanning files (...) enabled)?

If youre files have a replaygain tag, the dB value displayed in the 'show file info' -> 'technical info' will be applied.

If youre files have no replaygain tag, it will do nothing.

Reply #14

Wow, Peter... Working on Christmas for us? You'd better be getting overtime, or I'd be mad if I were you. 

Reply #15
6dB hard limiter actually compresses signal above -6dB volume, which is um.. less annoying than clipping, but still has problems (*cough* udial.wav).
0.32 will have volume control applied before hardlimiter/downsampling by default, so handling of clipping will be even better.

Reply #16

If youre files have a replaygain tag, the dB value displayed in the 'show file info' -> 'technical info' will be applied.

I've gained my MP3 files using mp3Gain. Should I get some info from this? I don't see any...

So when is the album gain enabled as set up in playback settings? I currently disabled it, because it suggests that replaygain (album) is used during playback (and possibly written to the files). I still think it's quite unclear what does what...

Reply #17

I've gained my MP3 files using mp3Gain. Should I get some info from this? I don't see any...

So when is the album gain enabled as set up in playback settings? I currently disabled it, because it suggests that replaygain (album) is used during playback (and possibly written to the files). I still think it's quite unclear what does what...

mp3gain doesn't use replaygain tags, so you won't see anything.
mp3gained mp3s can still be replaygained, but rg values will be within +/- 1.5dB because mp3gain is only accurate to 1.5dB

Reply #18

um...I'm sorry, but 0.31c keeps adding the apev2 tag even when I've got everything disabled.  It seems to be doing so upon completing the playing of a file.  While the file is playing, the show file info box shows no rg info in the technical info section.  Upon completion of playing the file, the rg info is now embedded in the file as an apev2 tag.  Tag.exe confirms this tag.  Don't know why this is happening.  In the foobar settings, I've got replaygain mode on disabled, and both check boxes under that "unchecked".  Foobar insists on adding the apev2 tag when I don't want it.  Is this a bug, or am I an idiot?

Reply #19
Anybody?  Even the latest 0.32 version is writing the apeV2 tag automatically, even if all the settings are set to prevent it.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is this going to be a standard feature of foobar, where it automatically adds apeV2 tags whether we want them or not?

Can somebody else confirm this?

Reply #20
Anybody?  Even the latest 0.32 version is writing the apeV2 tag automatically, even if all the settings are set to prevent it.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is this going to be a standard feature of foobar, where it automatically adds apeV2 tags whether we want them or not?

Damn', that scares me a lot. I don't want foobar to alter my files this way!

Reply #21
well that's wierd, doesn't matter to me, I like the foobar replaygain implementation.
-Andy

Reply #22
There is a prefrence that says "automatically calculate track-based replaygain during playback" or something like that in the place where you set your replaygain options, disable that and it shouldn't add it automatically anymore.

I do have it disabled.  And it's still adding the apeV2 tag.  I've tried every possible setting, and the end result is a apeV2 tag.  I must be doing something wrong.

I'm going back to WA2.81 until I figure this out.  I don't want any tags in my files.

Reply #23
Anybody?  Even the latest 0.32 version is writing the apeV2 tag automatically, even if all the settings are set to prevent it.  What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried if deleting old config file helps?

Reply #24
short question to Peter:
how "safe" is the replaygain algorithm you use?
don't want to sound pesky and I like the idea of the ape v2 tags, just wanna know a bit more before I let that loose on my collection 

thanks