Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: extract audio sample from a movie? (Read 10758 times) previous topic - next topic

extract audio sample from a movie?

Hello all...
I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I'm not sure if it's even possible so here goes...

I have an xvid movie and in the movie there is a sample of audio which I wanted to extract without the background or other noises from the movie..
Is this in any way possible ?

Reply #1
Depends on the source.
The easiest source to retrieve clean audio (as in celar speech or isolated sounds) would multichannel, either AC3 or DTS. In most movies, the main dialog is 98% center channel and the rest of the score (background music, FXs) are in the other channels (music usually in the Front Left and Right, FXs in the Surround channels).
The hardest sources are of course 2ch stereo, which are downmixed from multichannel sources, so the voice is mixed with the music and FXs.
There are no specific filters for removing a particular sound or noise. U could try with FFT/frequency filters.

Cheers.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #2
How about from DVD source?
would this be easier?

if so.. what kind of tools should I use?

tnx

Reply #3
DVD sources can have 5.1 AC3 or 5.1 AC3 and DTS.
If so, decode the DTS (as it is a higher quality source). TO ME (and that´s absolutely an opinion, so there´s no technical "thingy" backing up my comments) one of the fastest ways to decode DTS is thru BeHappy.
To use BeHappy, you´ll need to get Avisynth and the "Nicaudio.dll" plugin, plus BeHappy obviously.
Load the DTS into BeHappy thru "NicDTSSource" and decode to 6ch WAV. Disable all DSP to ensure no alterations to the decoding.
Then, you can load this 6ch WAV intop Wavewizard and strip it into 6 mono WAVs.
Take the FL and FR channels and load them into an audio editor to apply filters as needed, like Audacity (freeware).

Cheers.

Reply #4
I managed to split the channels but I can't seem to filter the noise. There is too much extra noise I guess.

I don't suppose there is anything else I can try?

Reply #5
If you could post a 30 or less seconds clip, for me to see if there might something to do with it.

Cheers.

Reply #6
Hello,
This is pretty much what I wanted to extract. The ringing phone without the excess audio

ring

Reply #7
I´ve listen to the WAV fragment and tried to apply some Noise filters, but it didn't do much as the particular sound you to eliminate doesn't realy qualify as "noise" but as sound in the movie.
With a Click and Pop eliminator in Audition 1.5, the ring could be reduced but no without intense work and without introducing artifacts to the main sound stream.
You could try to apply these filters if you want to to see if the result suits your need or desires.

Cheers.