Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using DVD-Audio Tools (Read 3938 times) previous topic - next topic

Using DVD-Audio Tools

so i'm assembling a DVD-A disc for some *cough* person (restraint, restraint) who claims they can tell the difference between DTS and DD. i'm conflicted as winning an argument on the internet is, well, you know the end... or can fill in the blank... but at the same time i want to prove him sooo wrong  .. so anywho, that's the besides the point. i'd also like to learn how to do it myself.

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml

so, i got so far as to get 6 files (or rather 12 files/2 tracks) into a folder and build a DVD-A disc.

track-03-[C]-24-48000.wav
track-03-[Lf]-24-48000.wav
track-03-[LFE]-24-48000.wav
track-03-[Ls]-24-48000.wav
track-03-[Rf]-24-48000.wav
track-03-[Rs]-24-48000.wav

however, it looks like it's making 6 tracks instead of one song for every WAV file. are there any applications that can a) combine these files (48kHz/24bit) into a 5.1 WAV? and b) what order do they need to go in? (or does it really matter?) a free program would be nice, but .. whatever it takes

Using DVD-Audio Tools

Reply #1
I've already done myself an abx test between DD and DTS (from a 24/44 original multitrack) and it was so easy.
DD is far beyond DTS. So I wouldn’t be surprised that your friends claim the same…

Using DVD-Audio Tools

Reply #2
encoded from the same lossless source?

and using what settings?

my input is the Nightwish DVD-A (i wish i could rip the Beck DVD-A, my only other disc, for some variety), 5.1 @ 48kHz er yeah, i mentioned that in the post, with AC-3 @ 448kbps (just to make it "easier" for him to claim he can tell the difference instead of 640kbps) vs DVD DTS @ 1.56mbps. oh, and his claim is that DTS is better *cough* (i myself am pretty neutral. i'd prefer DTS to win as they have superior theater sound, but ... may the best codec win) ..but i myself can't even tell the difference between the two.

he throws around words in reference to DTS as being "more transparent" and "having more punch" .. makes me want to gag .. especially when impressionable ears/eyes/minds are around. he also thinks 7.1 audio is "superior"

but like i said, i'm battling against myself SO HARD X) ...must .. not .. be .. drawn .. out .. by the troll/self-proclaimed golden-ear :(

Using DVD-Audio Tools

Reply #3
BeSweet should be able to turn the 6 files into one 6 channel wav. I say it should because I know it can for 44.1kHz/16bit wav files, i'm not sure if its supports 24bit but I see no reason why not. The order for BeSweet is L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR. You need to make a .mux file with the paths to your 6 seperate wac files like so:
Code: [Select]
g:\channelFL.wav
g:\channelFR.wav
g:\channelC.wav
g:\channelLFE.wav
g:\channelSL.wav
g:\channelSR.wav

However, for AC3 you might as well do it in one go with BeSweet, and for AC3 the order needs to be: L,C,R,SL,SR,LFE.

If you're using Surcode DTS encoder you can simply give it your six seperate wav files. Also if you're using Sonic Foundry Soft Encode for AC3 you can just give this your 6 seperate wav files.

Using DVD-Audio Tools

Reply #4
i've gotten the files INTO DTS (.DTS and .CPT) files but just need to figure out how to get it back to WAV files (which i likely can figure out eventually). i was just having issues getting it back into one 5.1 WAV file for the "authoring" program...

but thanks! will try BeSweet...

Using DVD-Audio Tools

Reply #5
Get Wavewizard. It allows u to mux, splitt or change the header of WAVs.
Load the mono WAVs in sequence (L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR), in Options tab select Merge. and hit Convert.
And u´ll have a 6ch interleaved WAV. I recommend to set it as WAV PCM header not WAVExt.
Before Wavewizard, my life was incomplete. Now is full and easy.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021