Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I Need A 5.1 Or Dts Encoder (Read 7243 times) previous topic - next topic

I Need A 5.1 Or Dts Encoder

is there any freely availbe 5.1/DTS encoder about?

i basically need something to encode six separete .wav files into a single encoded track.

cheers

Reply #1
What are you needing to do this for?  Specifically, how will you be playing the file back?

If it has to be AC3 or DTS because you're looking to play it back on some sort of hardware, then you're going to have to pay lots of money to buy one of the commercial encoders.  If you just need a multichannel file for playback on a PC, you could look at something like Vorbis.  AAC would also probably be a possibility, but I'm not sure if the FAAD winamp plugin can play back multichannel files. WMA also might be a possibility...

Reply #3
Isn't there an AC3 encoder included in BeSweet? URL: http://dspguru.doom9.net/

There may be... I haven't used BeSweet much, so I don't know for sure.  But if there is an AC3 encoder there then it probably isn't legal, and I'm surprised that Dolby hasn't taken action.

Edit:  Well it looks like it it has AC3 encoding abilities (as well as decoding):

Information
-----------
Usage :
BeSweet -core(..) -ota(..) -ac3enc(..) -boost(..) -plugin(..) -azid(..)
       -lame(..) -ogg(..) -mp2enc(..) -split(..) -shibatch(..)

core     switches mainly sets files arguments & engine behavior.
azid     switches sets the AC3 decoding paremeters.
lame     switches sets the MP3 encoding paremeters.
ota      switches sets the Overall Track paremeters.
ogg      switches sets the OGG encoding paremeters.
ac3enc   switches sets the AC3 encoding parameters.
mp2enc   switches sets the MP2 encoding paremeters.
boost    switches sets Dynamic-Compression paremeters.
split    switches sets Partial-Encoding engine parameters.
plugin   switches allows BeSweet to use an external plug-in.
shibatch switches sets Sample-Rate conversion & Equalizer parameters.

Reply #4
i will be burning this file to a cd, and playing it back via my DVD player and Home Theater System.

just a test really, nothing serious 

Reply #5
the ac3 encoder is the freeware version.  not a commercial encoder.  can't remember who did it but i know it was freeware.  BeSweet has a slot for the commercial encoder but it is big $$$ to get.
i played with it for abit - trying to make better sounding cds for auto cd player with dolby.
it will encode a regular 2 channel wave to ac3 (options are 5.1 dolby, dolby surround, dolby surround2 i think there is one more but can't remember) but getting it to play on the computer was a nightmare.  I searched long and hard to get a filter to decode it (ac3 that will work with ati file player).  found it but it made a mess of the ati file player.  had to unregister it and clean the registry to get ati to even play an mp3 file.  the ac3 filter had a grid with it that you adjust in windows media player.  It sounded good for one song then #%^&#%^ broke loose.  I have not messed with it since.  i'll leave the ac3 and dts till it gets a little better documented/supported for my blood.

if you get it going on the pc - please post what filter you used.  ivivideo and in_ac3 all played choppy and/or distorted for me.  could have been user error also

Reply #6
the ac3 encoder is the freeware version. not a commercial encoder. can't remember who did it but i know it was freeware.

The ac3-encoder works good and is freeware/open-source LGPL from ffmpeg, but it´s quality is not good. To get better resluts have a look at the site of "The Belgain" (HA-member).
the ac3 filter had a grid with it that you adjust in windows media player. It sounded good for one song then #%^&#%^ broke loose. I have not messed with it since. i'll leave the ac3 and dts till it gets a little better documented/supported for my blood.

AC3 is very good documented ( http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_52a.pdf , with that information you can code your own decoder/encoder!) and  there are two Filters that are free and good working:
Moonlight Odio Dekoda (Freeware): http://moonlight.co.il/products/odio_decoda.shtml
AC3Filter (GPL open-source): http://xvalex.hotbox.ru/programs/ac3filter/

For DTS I have to agree, it´s completly closed, you cannot get any information about it and there are no playback-filters. There is a good DTS-Encoder for PC, but it´s very expensive (Surcode DTS Pro). To playback DTS you need PowerDVD 4 XP Pro or WinDVD 4.

i will be burning this file to a cd, and playing it back via my DVD player and Home Theater System.
just a test really, nothing serious  

Is yout AC3/DTS-Decoder inside the DVD-player or in your Receiver? If it´s in the DVD-player your disc will most likely not be played correctly.

Reply #7
the ac3 encoder is the freeware version.  not a commercial encoder.

Right, but that's not why I was saying it probably isn't legal.  The reason I said that is that I doubt that licensing fees are being paid for this encoder, and Dolby is extremely anal about people using their technology without paying licensing fees.  Not that long ago there was an issue where Dolby forced the NetBSD folks to remove ac3dec from their distro because even though it was Open Source and free, it was unlicensed.

Reply #8
Thank you

looks like I have some reading to do.
Thank you for setting me straight - forgot about licensing - they will want their cut

I am going to try and get the ac3 working again.  The filters i tried were unsuccessful.  I think I was trying to use a video/sound filter for just sound.  I was trying to encode ac3 files to listen to.  Not much luck with just the audio yet.

I will try these new filters and see what happens

Reply #9
I will try these new filters and see what happens

Uninstall all other filters before!:
regsvr32 iviaudio.ax /u  (InterVideo Audio Decoder)
regsvr32 claud.ax /u  (Cyberlink Audio Decoder)

How new is your windows? Go into your system-diretory and check the properities for mpg2splt.ax:
Version 6.3.1.400 will not work. You need version 6.1.5.217. It´s a part of windows, so ask someone to send you this version if you don´t have the right one and replace this file.

Reply #10
what is the best commercial software 5.1 dd encoder? (i dont need dvd authoring features)

(i know there was 'Sonic Foundry Soft Encode' which cant be purchased anymore, and digigrams thingy (http://www.digigram.com/products/getinfo.htm?prod_key=9450))
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #12
Thanks S_O

I am going to try and see if this works.  I had the version you suggested on a win98 install disk.  i am surprised i found it.