Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning cd question? (Read 4971 times) previous topic - next topic

Burning cd question?

Hi,

My freind tells me that burning a cd slower say 1x instead of 8x makes it better quality sound (wav).  Is this true.  I dont understand how it would make sense, its not like a tape all it is is information right? thanks for any help

Burning cd question?

Reply #1
The only time burning a CD slower will improve quality is when you are using cheap CD-Rs

Burning cd question?

Reply #2
It's not just related to cheap CD-Rs.

It has to do with the D/A converter in your (stand alone) CD-player.

They are quite sensitive to timing problems in the recorded digtal datastream.

The more exact the digital ones and zeroes are recorded to the CD-R, the easier it is for the players D/A converter to reconstruct the analog audio.

Hopefully someone else can fill in the details... (or correct me)

/Andreas

Burning cd question?

Reply #3
Hello. I have no answer but I can tell you that with my Sony CRX 140E burner and phenylcyanine formulations, I have to burn at 2X to have compatability with all home players..

The phenylcyanine formulations are the most reflective ( silver-gold).

Burning cd question?

Reply #4
I have no idea what phenylcyanine formulations are, but...

I use a Creative 8432, and burn at 8x speed all the time. I have not had problems with any standalones or car players I have tried...

For the record, I use Nero (but would love to switch to a freeware/GNU solution)...

I hope this info helps. Good luck.

Burning cd question?

Reply #5
I use a Ricoh MP7120A and burn all my audio cds at 12x, no compatibility problems yet...I use Verbatim discs.

Burning cd question?

Reply #6
Its a combination of things that cause issues with recording speeds. Typically it is the type of media you use and sometimes it can be your DAC in your cd player as stated above.  A good example is I have a Technics 60 disc changer that has a cheaper DAC so if i record audio cds faster than 8x on Memorex 80 minute cds, i get timing issues. I would recommend doing some research on blank media and finding out which ones are higher quality because that will usually dictate whether or not you have problems. I have recorded on TDKs at 12x and 16x and did not have any problems when playing it back in the same changer. However, the cds that give me issues with my changer, do not screw up in my car cd player... so read into that what you will. If you spend a few more bucks on blank cds and if you have a decent cd player recording speed shouldnt be an issue with audio. Your CD-R drive can also introduce some issues into the equation too so if you cheaped out on your drive I would probably use slower speeds just to be safe. Ive got a yamaha 16x burner and i burn audio at 8x out of paranoia.

Burning cd question?

Reply #7
I wouldn't worry about burning audio at XX speeds too much.
I would worry if I was doing something for professional use, though.

Burning cd question?

Reply #8
it's hard for me to believe, but i red somewhere that burning CDs x6 gives the optimal temerature and time when the laser beam affects disc sectors.

i think it'd also depend on the disc itself.

judge yourself...

Burning cd question?

Reply #9
It might have to do with jitter. Jitter is minute (picosecond) timing discrepencies between the correct pit (or other signal record type) placement and the actual placement on a CD (or tape). I would imagine that a CDR recording at higher speed will exhibit higher jitter (as measured in picoseconds). I say "imagine" because I can't say with confidence.

Jitter can lead to unwelcome timing problems in the analog conversion as I understand it. Whether you can hear this is hard to say, but the 'golden ears' attest to it.

This, and other concerns with digital filter ringing, etc, led to the development of SACD (using Direct Stream Digital with a sampling rate in the MHz area) and DVDA. They were not developed to increase frequency response as many mistakenly believe, but to solve the digital gremlins that Phillips and Sony did not quite understand back in the seventies when they developed CD.
Ruse

Burning cd question?

Reply #10
It is said that amount of jitter may affect sound quality of CD.

Output quality of many DACs are affected by jitter which is less than 1 nano second. Look at figure 9 on page 9 of this PDF file.

http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/sbas096/sbas096.pdf

And, some people have reported that sound quality of CD depends on its amount of jitter. See following page.

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_...p=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Yamaha has released a CD-R drive with audio master recording mode, with which burning are done with less jitter.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia/custo...rods3200_1.html

The data read from CD are buffered and sent to DAC using accurate crystal clock, but quality degradation nevertheless occurs. Some people think that this is because jitter forces survo motor to move busily and so ground is shaken.