Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is there a way of passing variables to encoders? / ISRC support to encode flac (Read 1655 times) previous topic - next topic

is there a way of passing variables to encoders? / ISRC support to encode flac

I'm encoding some CDS that have ISRC values for each track. The CD has been extracted using EAC and a cue file created with an ISRC keyword under each TRACK entry.  Is there anyway to have the values be included in flac files and mp3 files?
Thanks
dpr

Re: is there a way of passing variables to encoders? / ISRC support to encode flac

Reply #1
Unfortunately, the ability to "add custom metadata fields" or your requested "ISRC tag" has not been added.
You asked for this last year. https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?msg=984874
Tagging in CUETools is done using taglib-sharp, not the encoder. You cannot add tags using encoder command-line options.
korth

Re: is there a way of passing variables to encoders? / ISRC support to encode flac

Reply #2
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply and apologies for not remembering the previous request. It was not meant to annoy you.

I see two separate requests that are getting combined:

1. support for the ISRC field in a cue file. The cue file parser should read this and pass it on to the encoding and tagging part of the applications. There are standard tags in Vorbis/flac and in MP3 IDv whatever. This is standard cue file syntax, which it would be nice if it was supported.

2. support for none standard extra fields in cuefiles using REM as a prefix . In my case, this got added as I was using cueproc. I accept that this is non standard and therefore not supported.

My overall problem is how to get from my library of CD images to flac without loosing information. I have some 500 images of my CDs, each in a separate folder with a .wav file and .cue file created by EAC. Each cue file contains ISRC entries for each track on the CD. I just want to get these into flac files (one per track) so I can tag them with Picard and be done. I was hoping that cuetools could help me. It can take the whole directory tree and create flacs or mp3s etc, but it's loosing the ISRC number which I view as critical. I don't want to re-rip each CD in EAC with flac encoding turned on.

Any ideas for how to solve my challenge, please let me know.

Thanks
Dpr

Reply #3
I don't know if this can be automated but Mp3tag can parse and export the ISRC values from the CUE file to a text file then add the tags using Convert Text file -> Tag.
You would need a custom Export Configuration[1] and make sure the ISRC tag is added to 'Options > Tag Panel'.

I'm not certain about the REMarked extra fields you mentioned. You didn't say what they were.

%ISRC% does work even though it is not listed
korth

Reply #4
thanks.

Do you think I should convert from  a single .wav file and .cue file created by EAC to a single flac and .cue file as an intermediate step toward a set of flac files, one per track?

Reply #5
I can't think of an advantage for your tagging issue of the per-track files. For archive purposes, the flac image+cue is smaller so provides extra space for data recovery files (parchive for example).
korth

Reply #6
A couple of questions:
1. what's the recommended way to update the tags in the single 'archive' flac file from musicbrainz?
2. what's the recommended way to create single track files from the file to transcode to formats for players  that need them - mp3 and apple