Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Personal Blind Listening Test: AAC vs OPUS from 80 to 140 kbps • PART I (Read 36143 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Personal Blind Listening Test: AAC vs OPUS from 80 to 140 kbps • PART I

Reply #25
Thanks for your comment! It's nice to get positive feedback on this table which took a lot of time. It need some tweeks

I'm totally unable to automate something on a computer.
What I did is:

— encode each album as a single long audio file (foobar2000's converter do it easily) as source of all other encodings.
— I create a playlist with all files on foobar2000
— I encode the playlist with the desired lossy/lossless settings in a dedicated folder using foobar2000's converter
— I put the output files in another playlist, select all files and use the copy command of foobar to gather the bitrate values (you need to go in advanced settings in foobar (preference/advanced/display/legacy title formatting/copy command: %bitrate%). The same tool allows to copy different values: filename, DR value, DR128, length, sampling rate, etc… Complete list >here<)
— I put everything in Google Sheet

It's not really complicated once you're familiar with foobar2000. You need more time than skills. I can't help you for any kind of script or something like that.

Reply #26
Oh, but that is more than enough help already. I'd probably never have thought to set the copy command up for that so I'm glad I asked. I was fully expecting I'd need another tool besides foobar2000, so in that respect it's a little easier than I thought it would be, though I can imagine it is still quite time consuming going through all the combinations in your database.

I already hastily drafted some stats and graphs in Excel on a relatively small subset of your data and found it very educational with regard to visualizing the difference between presets working to a quality target versus a bit rate target, and the different biases between encoders. I will attempt to do it more thoroughly over the holidays and share the output in case anyone else finds it interesting.

Reply #27
Interesting to see that OPUS @128 today is en par with Lame MP3 VBR 192 back in the olden days. I.e. my personal threshold, where for casual listening encoder problems get irrelevant.

Reply #28
Hey guruboolez!

Great listening test, thank you very much for your effort!

It's interesting to see that Opus performs worse on classical music compared to more louder and modern music.
Can you say anything about Jazz? I'm just about to (once again) convert my collection for my phone (Android) and I thought about using Opus at 96 but now I'm unsure. My collection is mostly Bebop and Piano Trios, so rather on the more "quiet" side of Jazz.