Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Browser Playback Timeout (Read 1991 times) previous topic - next topic

Browser Playback Timeout

Here is a weird phenomenon I've encountered and don't have an explanation for.

I am running an icecast stream with Daniel's excellent program, BUTT. OS is Windows 10.

If I play my stream using a web browser (http://localhost:8000/stream), the audio plays just fine, but times out after about 2.5 hours of  play. The audio is still streaming because I can manually restart playback just by refreshing the browser. I have tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge and they both quit after a couple of hours.

I tried making an HTML5 web page which links to my stream — same thing. About 2.5 hours of uptime is all you get.

I have streamed on-line radio stations which bring up a built-in player and they play for hours and hours and do not time out. It's only when I play my icecast stream that it times out.

I don't know anything about these online players the radio stations use. They may be a creation of the streaming service Triton.

I have tried playing my local stream with Foobar 2000 and have gotten over 48 hours of uptime.

What gives?

Re: Browser Playback Timeout

Reply #1
I was going to suggest that there was a kill time setup for listeners on the icecast server, but sure that would have also applied for foobar2000 as well, so I don't have a clue of what it could be.

Reply #2
I checked the icecast.xml file. There are a couple of time limits but nothing that would cause a stream to halt after around 2.5 hours.

I could try running a different browser and see what happens.

(MINUTES LATER)

I'm playing the audio stream on the Opera browser now. Let's see how long it plays.

Reply #3
I tried playing my audio stream in the Opera browser and sure enough, it stopped after 2:49:22, similar to the other two browsers I've tried.

BUTT says it is still streaming. When I click on the "play" arrow on the web page, the audio starts right back up, suggesting that the problem is with the player and not the outgoing stream.

Reply #4
The timeouts occur when I play a FLAC or Opus stream.

As an experiment, I tried playing an mp3 stream and so far have had 11 hours of play time, much longer than the others.

Weird.

Reply #5
Mmmm.. now I realize that you actually tried the "same browser" (Microsoft Edge, Opera and Chrome are all now based on Chromium).
Could it be a bug in the <audio> HTML 5 tag implementation?  Affecting only some codecs.

Let's try with Mozilla. (I guess IE11 won't be able to, but you might try)

Reply #6
Playback quits after 2+ hours on FLAC and Opus streams when the stream is addressed directly within the browser: http://localhost:8000/stream. With or without HTML5, the audio plays for 2+ hours before the player pauses.

I didn't realize Chrome, Edge and Opera are all based on Chromium, so maybe that is where the bug is and it gives me a clue where to address a bug report. I will try Firefox later.

Reply #7
Firefox does not seem to have this timeout problem.