Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus ReplayGain / Gapless? (Read 9587 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus ReplayGain / Gapless?

I heard Android now natively supports the Opus codec. I've been using Vorbis for many years. I'd like to know if the issues with music playback have been solved with Opus?

Mainly, does ReplayGain now work with Opus? I'd be using the latest foobar2000 to attach the ReplayGain track / album info onto the Opus files. I don't mind if it does it through some ReplayGain tag or changing the file header, as long as it works on my phone.

And also, does gapless work now in Opus? Got some albums that don't make sense without proper gapless.

If you have the answers that would be swell. Thank you!

Re: Opus ReplayGain / Gapless?

Reply #1
Haven't heard anything about fixing gapless encoding in Opus.
Theoretically it's possible if you encode an album as 1 stream and then split it without transcoding - but I'm unsure if there's a tool which can do that properly. (IIRC it's not so simple because in a middle of a stream an Opus packet requires a few previous packets to be decoded accurately)
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #2
I've been using Opus on my Android for quite some time, even testing the Poweramp when they added support for it. Opus supports only track gain, and I didn't notice any problems with gapless playback. But when listening to whole albums, I turn off Replaygain because it's not needed. I use it only for self-made compilations.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
Theoretically it's possible if you encode an album as 1 stream and then split it without transcoding - but I'm unsure if there's a tool which can do that properly. (IIRC it's not so simple because in a middle of a stream an Opus packet requires a few previous packets to be decoded accurately)
The tiny glitches, not even always audible, between Opus tracks that do not use the latest encoder are not quite the same as not being gapless.  Opus is inherently gapless and you'd have to go to special effort to put actual gaps between tracks.  I'd expect the glitches to still be present in Android, but it also depends what you use for encoding/transcoding.  See this thread for some more details.

Reply #4
I've been using Opus on my Android for quite some time, even testing the Poweramp when they added support for it. Opus supports only track gain, and I didn't notice any problems with gapless playback. But when listening to whole albums, I turn off Replaygain because it's not needed. I use it only for self-made compilations.
Opus supports track or album replaygain, but it uses a confusing mish-mash if non-standard (well, standard, but only in Opus!) techniques so support is inconsistent across different tools.  Depending on your encoder, you can force album replaygain and also have tag-based track replaygain that almost any decoder will respect, but equally you might not want to do it that way.  What player are you using on Android?  Have you experimented with the Opus replaygain tags in your Android player?

Reply #5
The tiny glitches, not even always audible, between Opus tracks that do not use the latest encoder are not quite the same as not being gapless.  Opus is inherently gapless and you'd have to go to special effort to put actual gaps between tracks.  I'd expect the glitches to still be present in Android, but it also depends what you use for encoding/transcoding.  See this thread for some more details.

So there shouldn't be a problem if I batch convert the whole gapless albums with the latest opusenc? That's what I do anyway, I batch convert the FLAC music folders.

lvqcl developer mentions in that topic: "If your input files are 44.1 kHz: try to resample to 48kHz before encoding". opusenc resamples to 48 kHz before encoding.

Reply #6
You'd have to be paranoid

So there shouldn't be a problem if I batch convert the whole gapless albums with the latest opusenc? That's what I do anyway, I batch convert the FLAC music folders.

lvqcl developer mentions in that topic: "If your input files are 44.1 kHz: try to resample to 48kHz before encoding". opusenc resamples to 48 kHz before encoding.
I don't think that was a general recommendation.  Opus will resample to 48 kHz (possibly less if you choose a ridiculous bitrate) but there isn't generally anything to be gained by doing it yourself.

Why not convert an album or two and see what you think.  I don't think you'll have a problem with the gapless playback.  Any glitches are extremely minor which is why it took so long to work out what the OP was hearing on the other thread.  I'm less confident about the replaygain, but it should be possible to get it to do what you want even if it takes a bit of experimentation.

Reply #7
Okay so I tested myself. Grabbed 'Daft Punk - Alive 2007' which is a single live concert recording cut into gapless tracks. Resample FLAC to 48 kHz. Cut the ending of one track, the beginning of the next, and save those two as separate files (A.flac, B.flac). Then I save the two sticked together as a single file (A+B.flac). Ran them all through opusenc libopus 1.3.1.

AIMP latest (v4.60 build 2180), cross-mixing turned off, auto jump to next track.
First Playlist:
1.- A.opus
2.- B.opus.
Recording audio output on Audacity.

Second Playlist:
1.- A+B.opus.
Recording audio output on Audacity.

The two recordings are almost identical. Not exactly the same, they don't cancel out when inverting the soundwave, but not a single sample is misaligned. Also I don't hear anything unusual. I don't think I can ABX this. It looks and sounds the same.

Next is ReplayGain. Grabbed 'Daft Punk - Tron: Legacy'. Resample FLAC to 48 kHz. No ReplayGain tags.
Opus encode: opusenc --bitrate 160 in.flac out.opus
Vorbis encode: oggenc2 -q 6 in.flac

Run them through foobar2000 latest (v1.5.4) ReplayGain scan. Apply ReplayGain tags.

Track 3 - The Son of Flynn:

FLAC Track Gain -1.71 dB
FLAC Album Gain -4.93 dB

Opus Track Gain -1.71 dB
Opus Album Gain -4.93 dB

Vorbis Track Gain -1.69 dB
Vorbis Album Gain -4.89 dB

Play them on AIMP.
'ReplayGain normalization', 'Use value from tags', 'Souce: File'.
Afterwards, I try 'Source: Album'.

They sound the same. I don't hear any difference.

What's more, on that AIMP window, If I change the ReplayGain values of either Track or Album to -20 dB on FLAC / Opus / Vorbis files, I hear all files equally low.

So I don't know how Opus / foobar2000 / AIMP achieve this, but it works. Mp3tag shows Opus files have no ReplayGain tags, only R128 tags. R128_ALBUM_GAIN tag is 0. And it plays just it fine.

The codec delivers.

On cellphone I use AIMP too, hopefully works there as well.

Reply #8
Opus supports track or album replaygain, but it uses a confusing mish-mash if non-standard (well, standard, but only in Opus!) techniques so support is inconsistent across different tools.  Depending on your encoder, you can force album replaygain and also have tag-based track replaygain that almost any decoder will respect, but equally you might not want to do it that way.  What player are you using on Android?  Have you experimented with the Opus replaygain tags in your Android player?

I am sorry, I was wrong. Opus does, indeed, supports Track and Album Gain tags, it just doesn't calculate and store peaks, because, as I understood the reasoning, being a lossy encoder with a lot of processing, those peaks during decoding can go 'up to 11', so to speak :) and it may lead to the wrong conclusion for the less techy people.
I am using PowerAmp on Android, paid version, and was using Opus files, listening albums without replaygain tags, and if I compiled something by myself, using just track gain. No problems whatsoever, working as expected.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #9
I have tested Opus 1.3.1 (encoded via ffmpeg) against the number of gapless-encoding test files floating around on Cmus (Linux) and Mobile Foobar app on iOS. Both players support gapless.

Opus 1.3.1 encodings were NOT gapless. There were glitches, etc.
Yet, Vorbis encodings of the same files were gapless.

I did the tests as the the reports were inconclusive about this and I was mad enough to consider Opus again. But, again, I cannot escape from the thought that the devs might have moved onto something more interesting and we have now another not so perfect standard.

The fact of the matter that we want to tag each track separately. That calls for separate files. Gapless playback is absolutely essential for me not to feel myself in the 90-s. We are in the age of self-driving cars and all that nonsense, and even a new all singing all dancing format cannot support gapless.

I will stay with Vorbis, but then and there they totally ignored Aotuv's efforts, so one cannot even use standard builds.

Reply #10
Vorbis is perfect. It is gapless. It has a simple, but very versatile tagging system. It has pretty decent tuning. And it is supported everywhere.

Reply #11

What's more, on that AIMP window, If I change the ReplayGain values of either Track or Album to -20 dB on FLAC / Opus / Vorbis files, I hear all files equally low.

So I don't know how Opus / foobar2000 / AIMP achieve this, but it works. Mp3tag shows Opus files have no ReplayGain tags, only R128 tags. R128_ALBUM_GAIN tag is 0. And it plays just it fine.

The codec delivers.

On cellphone I use AIMP too, hopefully works there as well.

Like I said, Opus has a weird way of doing replaygain.  The "correct" Opus way does not use the replaygain tags that are standard in every other codec.  It defines its own R128_TRACK_GAIN and R128_ALBUM_GAIN tags.  Furthermore, it has a field in the track header (called output_gain) which is also a gain tag.  Early versions of the standard did not include the R128_ALBUM_GAIN tag and instead suggested that any album gain could be placed in the output_gain field.  Since every decoder should apply this gain without even stopping to think about it, it is a fairly reliable way of making sure every player uses it.  In fact it will be difficult to play a track *without* the output_gain applied, you might want to try that and see what happens.  The actual track replaygain is the output_gain plus the R128_TRACK_GAIN.  Having an R128_ALBUM_GAIN tag of zero was an intermediate solution supposed to indicate that the output_gain contained an album gain, since it could in theory contain anything for any reason (although nobody ever came up with anything sensible that it should contain, other than loudness normalisation).

Reply #12

Like I said, Opus has a weird way of doing replaygain.  The "correct" Opus way does not use the replaygain tags that are standard in every other codec.  It defines its own R128_TRACK_GAIN and R128_ALBUM_GAIN tags.  Furthermore, it has a field in the track header (called output_gain) which is also a gain tag.  Early versions of the standard did not include the R128_ALBUM_GAIN tag and instead suggested that any album gain could be placed in the output_gain field.  Since every decoder should apply this gain without even stopping to think about it, it is a fairly reliable way of making sure every player uses it.  In fact it will be difficult to play a track *without* the output_gain applied, you might want to try that and see what happens.  The actual track replaygain is the output_gain plus the R128_TRACK_GAIN.  Having an R128_ALBUM_GAIN tag of zero was an intermediate solution supposed to indicate that the output_gain contained an album gain, since it could in theory contain anything for any reason (although nobody ever came up with anything sensible that it should contain, other than loudness normalisation).

I've tested the files on the android cellphone. Android AIMP doesn't play gapless in any format.

Latest android foobar2000 works flawlessly with Opus. Track ReplayGain, Album ReplayGain, disabled ReplayGain, are applied just the same with FLAC or Vorbis or Opus. There are no gaps in between songs either. Not that I can hear.

The ReplayGain design you describe looks kind of quirky but if it works, it works.

I'm pretty satisfied, there's no reason for me to continue to use Vorbis. Ahoy!  :)

Reply #13
I have tested Opus 1.3.1 (encoded via ffmpeg) against the number of gapless-encoding test files floating around on Cmus (Linux) and Mobile Foobar app on iOS. Both players support gapless.

Opus 1.3.1 encodings were NOT gapless. There were glitches, etc.
Yet, Vorbis encodings of the same files were gapless.

I did the tests as the the reports were inconclusive about this and I was mad enough to consider Opus again. But, again, I cannot escape from the thought that the devs might have moved onto something more interesting and we have now another not so perfect standard.

The fact of the matter that we want to tag each track separately. That calls for separate files. Gapless playback is absolutely essential for me not to feel myself in the 90-s. We are in the age of self-driving cars and all that nonsense, and even a new all singing all dancing format cannot support gapless.

I will stay with Vorbis, but then and there they totally ignored Aotuv's efforts, so one cannot even use standard builds.

Could you tell me where those lossless files are? I wanna test them to see where the problem lies.

Reply #14
For reference:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=48231.msg430069#msg430069 and
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=40995.msg716135#msg716135
refers to the one I prefer. I prefer it as it is long and consists of 17 fragments.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070307021416/http://guruboolez.free.fr/samples/gapless/gapless_WAVPACK_free_of_right.zip
where you can download it. (I would rather not upload it ableit it is stated to be free of copyright.)

Reply #15
Actually,...

I did test with the samples I provided, and Cmus played them gapless on Vorbis, but  not on Opus. This is certain.

However, I might not have put the Opus files on my iPhone to test it with Foobar as Linux gapless is equally important for me.  Honestly I do not remember now.  Let me know what you find.

Is there any Linux player that plays Opus gapless?

Reply #16
Anything that uses libopusfile should handle them gaplessly as they were encoded. Vorbis is handled gaplessly already because its decoder library handles that transparently, while the original libopus decoder required the application to implement that separately. libopusfile also came out a significant amount of time after the basic format and libopus were published, so many implementations didn't wait, and some didn't get the implementation details correct.

foobar2000 is one of the correct implementations based on libopus.

I can't really vouch for the only two Linux players I use beside foobar2000 in wine: Audacious, which is quite a lot like Winamp, even in its plugin design, and DeaDBeeF, which is a tad bit like foobar2000, but doesn't even do gapless MPEG-4 AAC in any form.

Reply #17
@kode54 Thx for the colour. I was poking around about this, and I could not find any such sane write-up about the situation.

I wish this would be communicated by the Opus team to the various app devs. If nothing else, just sticking it somewhere prominent in the Opus homepage.

Reply #18
I thought you were referring to this issue with the gapless talk. As far as I know there is no existing solution for this problem.

Reply #19
I thought you were referring to this issue with the gapless talk. As far as I know there is no existing solution for this problem.
wrong link? (points to this same thread)
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #20
DeaDBeeF use libopusfile.  I've not noticed any gapless issues on Linux, but I haven't used it on Android.

Reply #21

I really could not hear any difference between those two *.wav source files and the two *.opus files. Listened on foobar2000 / AIMP PC. Audacity shows nothing strange either. If there's something going on, I don't notice it.

Since AIMP Android doesn't inherently play gapless with anything, I've gone the easy way out with it and encoded whole gapless albums on a single file bookmarked by a CUE. It does have gapless CUE playback.

Reply #22
this thread has gone me thinking, does anyone have any comparisons of how ReplayGain compares to Apple's SoundCheck ?
Audio Engineer from the UK

Reply #23
This thing is very confusing. The link Case quoted talks about libopusenc encoded files being perfect and the rest are just best efforts. Yet, I gathered even that one have issues?

At the same time, I have tested mpv last night with ffmpeg encoded files (linking libopus 1.3.1), and  gaps were unnoticable. mpv does not use libopusfile. Probably they do some hack. I will do a few more tests.  could settle on mpv as a player on my PC.

This whole thing is very confusing. I try to consider Opus, but I wonder if I could just stay on Vorbis.

Reply #24
This thing is very confusing.

Well yes. I can't hear / see any opus gapless glitch on either PC or Android. And yet there's someone on that topic actually ABXing the "glitch".

To me the glitch he describes is like he's talking about the typical audio glitch you get when changing sample rate mid-stream. Or playing non-faded in/out audio when going from complete silence to high amplitude sample