Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to save configuration so I can try out new themes/plugins and revert? (Read 954 times) previous topic - next topic

How to save configuration so I can try out new themes/plugins and revert?

I have Foobar2000 set up in a way I very much like.
A dark theme no longer developed and some customizations to show dynamic range per track and album.

I would like to explore some new actively developed things, like Georgia-ReBORN by @TT and Playlist-Manager-SMP by @regor .

But I want to be able to revert to my old (current) configuration in between explorations.
How do I save my current configuration exactly, so that I can revert it 100%?

Re: How to save configuration so I can try out new themes/plugins and revert?

Reply #1
You can install a portable version of foobar which isolates its settings in its own folder without touching your main install. After you're done you can just delete the portable folder.

Reply #2
Migrating entire setup - to/from install/portable, to/from computers - with should be a wiki entry and/or a sticky ...

Reply #3
Portable install is how you should be checking out other themes anyway (usually), so that makes the most sense. The instructions for most themes recommend using a fresh portable install. This is best since they install a lot of files to user profile folder, and there is no easy uninstall, better to keep it separate.

However when it comes time to update your own config with whatever you can "borrow" from other themes, export your config to a save file first - Preferences > Display > Default UI / Columns UI > Export... button. You can then experiment with making changes. Use the Import button to restore the saved config if needed.

Edit: I should add, this is not a complete backup. It saves the theme, not any preferences or components you might change. It is wise to have a complete backup as well - [hold Shift key] > File > Browse Configuration Folder - backup this entire profile folder. (It includes all installed components, preferences, playlists, library database, playback stats, etc)

This profile folder is what you would copy over to a new computer or installation.