Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Hardware Players (Read 5913 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Hardware Players

I was just visiting the Crutchfield website, looking around for something else entirely, when I noticed that they offer two Panasonic MP3 players, the SV-SD05 and the SV-SD80. In addition to MP3 and WMA, they both support AAC!

Has anyone tried these units yet? Can they play files encoded with aacenc?

The Crutchfield link, which I hope works right, is below:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-qm4bn...c=7&s=0&g=10230

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #3
Originally posted by Agent69
Has anyone tried these units yet? Can they play files encoded with aacenc?

If they are made by panasonic, I would bet they play Panasonic AAC files - ACP.

They are encrypted and have worse quality than Psytel. :-P

Regards;

Roberto.

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #4
I have been looking at the Philips EXP401. It is a 8cm (3") CD player that supports AAC up to 160 kbps in addition to MP3 at up to 320 kbps. Haven't heard it yet, but it is a lot smaller than the regular CD models.

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #5
Roberto wrote:

>They are encrypted and have worse quality than Psytel. :-P

That sucks. But thanks for the info!

Bryant:

Thanks for the info on the Phillips. I'll check it out.

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #6
Just an update on the Philips EXP401. I got one and it sounds fine on MP3s but I haven't tried any AAC files. In the specs this is what it says about AAC support:

AAC format: ISO 13818-7 MPEG-2 (low complexity profile), stereo, ADTS and ADIF header, AAC bit rate <= 160 kbps.

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #7
I ordered two expanium 401's from amazon a couple months ago, and both of them drew battery power while the unit was powered off.  It draws more current if you play a CD first before turning it off and less current after just sticking the batteries in without turning it on.  The batteries lasted about 24 hours the first way.

ff123

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #8
please provide links and test with psytel encodet aac

if it can do that i'm going to buy one

is it 192mb you can fit on the 8cm cd's ???

ff123
are you shure it just wasn't a faulty one ?
Sven Bent - Denmark

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #9
I ordered two units; both which behaved exactly the same way.  On the second unit, I actually measured the current draw with a multimeter.

ff123

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #10
Haha! Mine sucked a battery dry when it was off also. But I wasn't sure of the condition of the battery when I put it in there so I wasn't sure yet that it was a player problem. That's a drag! Oh well, can't leave the battery in there...

Here's a Philips link to some information:

http://www.audio.philips.com/expanium/8cm/8cm.asp

The 8cm CDs have 185 MB which gives 2 hours, 40 minutes at 160 kbps. The only problem I had is that my CD-RW drive wouldn't burn them so I had to burn to full size and take them to a friend's. Newer drives (8x and up) should not have a problem.

AAC Hardware Players

Reply #11
There is the whole Egoman product line:
http://www.egoman.com.tw/product.html
They seem to support AAC, but I have found no useful information on header/profile or id3-tag versions.

This one is priced 78€ (euro) here
http://www.egoman.com.tw/la310.htm
which is a nice price. I already mailed their customer support for more information, but my experiance is that they will never answer. Small companies in the far-east are usually only talkative to their business partners. I asked them for information about:

id3-tag version 1.0, 1.1, 2.3 or 2.4?
mp3 variable bitrate?
aac variable bitrate?
aac profile?
joliet and multi-session?

But on this forum someone might know of these players, maybe even own one?

Edit: The local import company here answered fast: they sent my questions forward to Ego Technoloogy Corp. Good, now they got the questions from a business partner.

Edit: This Taiwanese company reacted as expected. They never answered to me, but to my local import company. The specs for the player shows it passed most of the basic quality tests, but not all. I got my hands on one of these now, however this does not play AAC. That is an option which I do not have.

The music sounds good (except for mains noise when using the battery eliminator) and the powersaving/ESP works. The CD spins up and buffers until the memory is full. Then the CD stops and thereby saves energy and will not skip. It plays CD-RW and the 5 preset graphic equalizer does filter CD-audio too.

The music stops here. CD:s will scratch against the lid while turning the device, several annoying firmware bugs makes UI a pita. If the batteries are low in capacity (the included batteries were almost empty) the playing will stop, but then the boot sequence will go into a loop outputting pop-pop-pop while the CD spins up. This player is simply not ready for marketing yet.

If the AAC support will eventually be available, try before you buy. This is exactly what could be expected: cheap stuff.