Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to automatically tag OPUS in CueTools? (Read 1771 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to automatically tag OPUS in CueTools?

I tried changing the tags from TagLibSharp to APEv2 and ID3v2. The tags stay blank, and I've tried playing them through VLC and MusicBee. I don't get this issue with other formats like AAC or FLAC.

Re: Is it possible to automatically tag OPUS in CueTools?

Reply #1
Notes:
  • You didn't state what version of CUETools you are using or where you downloaded it from.
  • You also didn't state what version of opusenc you are using or where you got that.
  • OPUS uses vorbis comments, not APEv2 or ID3v2.
  • AFAIK Windows File Explorer does not display OPUS tags.
  • CUETools writes the tags last (after all encoding is complete).

Tested using the official 2.1.8 and 2.1.9 from CUETools Download and various builds from OPUS 1.3.1
AFAICT CUETools is writing the tags. MediaInfo Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and foobar2000 Spoiler (click to show/hide)
display the tags correctly (I don't use VLC or MusicBee).
However MP3Tag does not show tags.
So I ran a couple more tests, this time using the OPUS 1.3.1 encoder from foobar2000 (so the same encoder was used for each test).

ran opusinfo.exe on a file created by CUETools Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ran opusinfo.exe on a file created by foobar2000 (same source file) Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dropped both files into MP3Tag
File created by CUETools does not show tags
File created by foobar2000 does show the tags

I then tried checking a file before CUETools could add the tags Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Conclusion: CUETools is not properly adding the tags to the headers. This could result in some players/programs not being able to read the tags as written.
This issue should be added to https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/issues

Bonus find: Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There also appears to be an issue with the way CUETools handles METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE when adding full path to image file
korth

Re: Is it possible to automatically tag OPUS in CueTools?

Reply #3
Thank you, it works now  :D