Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta (Read 26134 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #50
I have one suggestion for Find-As-You-Type (FAYT).

It works perfectly when I just type anything quickly, but when I hit, for example, "H" character twice, and nothing can be found that starts with "HH", I expect it to jump to the second item found that starts with "H". And so on for three "HHH" etc. After all H-starting items have been viewed, it should cycle to the first item.

This is how Windows Explorer works and it is extraordinarily intuitive.

It also seems to me that implementing F3 as "Find Next" is now more applicable than as a shortcut for playlist search. It is possible that two separate items start with the same 5 or 6 characters. It would be good to be able to skip to the next find, instead of being forced to type the whole text, which defeats the purpose of FAYT somewhat.

And since we're on a roll with suggestions, what about locking smooth-scroll with a single middle-click? Holding down a button á la dead man's switch is a more tense operation than simply clicking and moving the mouse. Firefox, Chrome and Safari already implement it in this manner.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #51
Your F3 idea works for me, but how would you expect your "find-as-you-type" solution to work if you were actually looking for words that started with or contained a double letter?

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #52
I did some more testing with Windows Explorer, and it turns out that when you hit the same charater in a row, Explorer only cycles between items that start with that character. Typing 'hh' will not find 'hhardstone.jpg', unless you type 'hha'.

I already posted a solution if an item starts with 'hh', namely only use the cycling behaviour if no item starting with 'hh' is found.

I'd need to test it for a while with my giant library playlist at home. Currently I have a work installation for testing, that uses default settings with a tiny library of music, so it's hard to get a real-world feel for user interaction changes.

In any case I like FAYT, and I hope I can retire the playlist search dialog.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #53
Thank you very much for developing this excellent player. Unfortunately there is one change in 1.1.11 which for me is a big step back. I often change to a new track while one is still playing. With the fading as it worked before, this felt smooth and pleasant to listen to.

Now, the new track fades in as well. Fading in works well when seeking within a track. But when listening from the beginning, it often sounds very wrong or even unpleasant not to hear it completely from the start. Also, I find the default fade-out much too short, and increasing the fade length worsens the problem of skipping the start.

Please allow setting the fading to how it worked before.
Addressed in beta 5 - now you can configure fade-ins and fade-outs separately.

I have one suggestion for Find-As-You-Type (FAYT).

It works perfectly when I just type anything quickly, but when I hit, for example, "H" character twice, and nothing can be found that starts with "HH", I expect it to jump to the second item found that starts with "H". And so on for three "HHH" etc. After all H-starting items have been viewed, it should cycle to the first item.
Support for cycling matching entries by pressing the same key repeatedly added in beta 5.

And since we're on a roll with suggestions, what about locking smooth-scroll with a single middle-click? Holding down a button á la dead man's switch is a more tense operation than simply clicking and moving the mouse. Firefox, Chrome and Safari already implement it in this manner.
I don't personally like middleclick scroll lock, but OK I'll re-evaluate this behavior against other mainstream apps.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #54
Excellent. Thanks for considering.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #57
I have used betas 1 & 5 of v1.1.11 and find that drag-drop works in an arbitrary manner in both of them.
The first (default) playlist accepts files and folders. But after having removed the playlist, no longer can anything be dropped in it. The "not-allowed" cursor symbol appears (pic can be found here: cursor:not-allowed). In such instances, foobar has to be restarted.

----
Win 7 Ult; Installed: foobar2000_v0.9.6.2_beta_3 and foobar2000_v1.1.11_beta_5 as portable.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #58
Not really related to beta version, 'cause I'm still on v1.1.10, but could be fixed in v1.1.11:
When I pause playback and send my notebook to hibernation mode without closing foobar2000 and wake it again, f2k own playbacktime (Preferences > Playback > Total Time Played) counter stops and counts only the seconds of crossfading. After restarting f2k everything works fine again.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #59
[Editing my post above]
Only the first (default) playlist accepts drag & drop. Once this playlist is cleared of its contents, the drag & drop feature's no longer available.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #60
snipped from first post,
New .fb2k-component file type extension for foobar2000 component packages.

And will it be possible to create .fb2k packages outside of that site?

I am interested in this as well.  I'm guessing it will be a compressed archive of some type containing the files.
1.  Will you allow end-users to create their own component packages? (I assume foobar2000.exe will create the necessary configuration file on the fly when installing the component.)
2.  Have you or will you release the specs for the new .fb2k packages?
3. Will you have a switch for silent installation of .fb2k components from command-line for quick deployment on multiple PCs?
4. And if it's not too much trouble, do you a completed .fb2k package available for testing?

Thanks for all the great work you are putting into this.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #61
it's just a renamed zip file.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #62
.fb2k-component is nothing more than a renamed .zip file, using identical semantics as existing zips used to install components. The point is to make installing even easier and prevent people from incorrectly installing components manually.

Eventually, the components site will only serve .fb2k-component files instead of regular zips, once most people are on 1.1.11 stable.

Note that older fb2k versions (1.1 and up) also support .fb2k-component if you point the "install component" dialog at one, or drag one into the relevant preferences page - it's unfortunately not nicely presented as one of the supported formats in the dialog.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #63
.fb2k-component is nothing more than a renamed .zip file, using identical semantics as existing zips used to install components. The point is to make installing even easier and prevent people from incorrectly installing components manually.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I understand the need to make the installation of components "bullet proof."

Will you have an additional switch for silent installation of components through command-line?  will the /hide parameter work correctly?

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #64
Ok unsure if this problem has been reported before and whether or not it's exclusive to the latest beta...

Anyway, I have found an issue with volume levels when switching between DS and WASAPI output. Basically, I'll start something playing using the DS output with the volume in fb at the maximum. I'll then switch to WASAPI output, lower the volume in fb2k, switch output to DS and then put fb2k's volume back to it's highest. By the end, though, the 'max' volume that it ends with is noticeably lower than what it was at the start. If I restart fb2k (Using shift + file --> restart), it reverts to the 'proper' max volume. Because it restarts quite quickly, I am very certain that there is a problem with the volume. Also, the problem seems to be more pronounced when I lower the volume by a significant amount whilst using WASAPI output.

Using fb2k v1.1.11 beta 5 on Win 7 sp1 and Realtek drivers.
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

foobar2000 v1.1.11 beta

Reply #65
the new release is great. and it's nice to have crossfading natively within foobar without plugins. my only small request is that we can have settings greater than 10000 ms. sometimes in party situations a longer crossfade is needed.