Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Development of ABC/HR for Java (Read 36488 times) previous topic - next topic

Development of ABC/HR for Java

BTW, another problem is that schnofler apparently stopped development of ABC/HR for Java, coding something in Silverlight would require an expensive IIS server, and I don't know how to program in Air or Flash or even if those would be suitable for a testing application. ABC/HR has certain limitations and bugs that I don't know how to fix. Last time it didn't work correctly with JRE 1.6 and even with JRE 1.5 it had the problem that on some machines, a click was hearable when playing certain files (it always happened for the same files).

If you have the source, i could try fix the errors and missing features.

Reply #1
BTW, another problem is that schnofler apparently stopped development of ABC/HR for Java, coding something in Silverlight would require an expensive IIS server, and I don't know how to program in Air or Flash or even if those would be suitable for a testing application. ABC/HR has certain limitations and bugs that I don't know how to fix. Last time it didn't work correctly with JRE 1.6 and even with JRE 1.5 it had the problem that on some machines, a click was hearable when playing certain files (it always happened for the same files).

If you have the source, i could try fix the errors and missing features.

Latest sources I have are from http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/a...a-0.5a5-src.zip. Like I said, one problem was that ABC/HR didn't run well on JRE 1.6. I don't know exactly when the problem occurred, though - I'd have to dig it out from last listening test discussions.

Reply #3
Hi Seb,

I think the latest/best version is actually 052b, here's the source:

http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/a...a-0.52b-src.zip

I'll search for the jar application and post a link or upload it.

If I recall correctly it is possible to use the program, but not save the results on JRE 1.6.0.x. It works correctly on JRE 1.5.0.x (I have currently the last 1.5 release, 1.5.0_22 installed, but SUN has recently stopped 1.5 support.)

stigc,

After seeing your new release post I actually thought about asking if you could do something about this matter. I'd really appreciate your help. ABC/HR Java is the best comparator and probably the only one that would work in a public listening test.

(BTW, thanks for the new JavaTunes version. I'll post my comments after I have tried it. It looks promising.)

Reply #5
I searched HA.

The last new features schnofler added were explained here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=382311
... and in some earlier replies in the same thread.

I also found this post, but he didn't actually post a link:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=451721

I tried 0.53b: "http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.53b.zip", but it wasn't available. The web server generated this text:

Multiple Choices
The document name you requested (/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.53b.zip) could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you requested.

Available documents:
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.51b.zip (mistyped character)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.52b.zip (mistyped character)
Furthermore, the following related documents were found:
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b3SE-fast.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b4-debug.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b4-src.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b4.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b4SE.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a4.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a4-src.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro5.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro4.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b2-debug.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a5-src.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.52b-retro.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a5.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro3.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro2.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro7.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro8.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5b-retro.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.51b-src.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b3-test.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.51b-retro.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.52b-src.zip (common basename)
/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.4b3.zip (common basename)
Apache Server at user.uni-frankfurt.de Port 80

Reply #6
I got the code up and running. Now i need some configuration files to actual test and debug the code. Do we have the configuration from last test? http://www.listening-tests.info/mp3-128-1/

I'm not sure why this abc/hr application seems so complicated. What about adding jFLAC and encode all the samples in FLAC? To make it more user-friendly it should only contain the one screen used for comparison -> http://ff123.net/abchr/scrshot7.gif. Do we need the other screens?

Reply #8
I got the code up and running. Now i need some configuration files to actual test and debug the code. Do we have the configuration from last test? http://www.listening-tests.info/mp3-128-1/

I think I have archived most if not all previous test materials, but I must go through some backup drives before I can say for sure.

For starters you could try Gabriel's "48kbps AAC public test". All files are still available at:
http://www.mp3-tech.org/content/?48kbps%20...20public%20test

I'm not sure why this abc/hr application seems so complicated. What about adding jFLAC and encode all the samples in FLAC? To make it more user-friendly it should only contain the one screen used for comparison -> http://ff123.net/abchr/scrshot7.gif. Do we need the other screens?

In the past public tests the users didn't need to configure the individual tests. The test configurations and batch files for decoding the encoded samples were prepared beforehand. Normally the samples were delivered in the original encoded format because of bandwidth limitations. In some tests certain samples were converted to a lossless format if it wasn't possible to correctly decode the files without additional proprietary software, which couldn't be included in the test package.

Regarding to the actual user interface that shows up after a test configuration is loaded, everything that is currently included is necessary, but possibly it could be improved by making changes to the layout , textual info, etc.

As lvqcl said, the ABX window is essential and I don't recall any other additional windows, except the window for saving the results. (I must check this, I have not used the program for some time.)

Reply #10
Hmmm... I took the first sample from Gabriel's "48kbps AAC public test" and everything was fine. I even installed the old jre1.6.0_07 but could not get the application to freeze. Both Win 7 and Xp.

Maybe Sebastian Mares still have the original program, sample and settings files from the listing test where the problem was discovered?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=66564

Reply #12
I found the test stuff.

I created a zip file of the original test package from the 128 kbps MP3 test including the two first sample packages. I also included my encrypted result files of the same two samples and the key file so that you try them (the key was released after the test was finished).

I also have the rest of the sample packages, but I don't think the audio content can have anything to do with the problems. Two sets should be fine for testing the functions.

http://cid-138ca589c542aeee.skydrive.live..../128MP3test.zip  (8.6 MB)

Reply #13
With Java 6 update 15 on Windows XP i could reproduce the error.

For some reason the JRE hang when a static instance of type JFileChooser (the Java Open File Dialog) was used. I changed the code to always create a new instance and the problem was gone. I have uploaded a new build of abchr.jar and the changed java files. I have also changed the version number to 0.53.

http://stigc.dk/abchr.0.53.zip

Reply #14
Sorry if this will clearly show that I know nothing about Java, but...

I only get this:

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Christian\Desktop>java -jar abchr.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/jgoodies/looks/pl
astic/PlasticLookAndFeel
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticL
ookAndFeel
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: abchr.gui.Main. Program will exit.

The same happens when I double-click on the jar file. Windows 7, Java 6.0 Update 17.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #15
@C.R.Helmrich: Stigc's upload is incomplete, that might be the cause. It does not contain the needed libs. Specifically you are missing looks-1.3.1.jar. Do you get the same error for the 0.52b release? It is included there in the correct path.

Edit: Some Java 6 problems in the code seem to relate to the use of the legacy SwingWorker class. It has become core functionality of Java 6 and there were a couple of namespace issues. I'm just rewriting some parts, that are using the old code. Should be fixed soon.

Reply #16
Here you go. Attached you will find a patch against 0.52b, that fixes Java 6 issues in 4 more files. It can be compiled without Java 5 legacy workarounds now. Someone else needs to get the build system up (Ant) and produce a fresh binary package. The original author used Windows based absolute directories and I'm not willing to fiddle with that on Linux or OS X. Someone on Windows could get this running with less work.

[Edit: Please use version 0.53a below.]

Update: Integrated stigc's changes to Main and SimpleFileChooser into patch.

Reply #17
Here is a working binary! Just unzip and double-click on all platforms.

The issues with the build script were not due to absolute Windows paths, which are only referenced from a legacy build target, but the external libraries weren't included automatically in the target jar. I modified build.xml and manifest.txt to do that. The result is the above self-contained jar, that can be launched with a single click.

This patch consolidates all changes (stigc's, SwingWorker, build system) since 0.52b:

Reply #18
Thanks.

I didn't have time to try it earlier.

Saving seems to work fine, but it seems to always hang when a saved config or session is opened.

It hangs on "Loading Samples". The Please Wait message window can't be closed.

XP SP3, JRE 6u17 (6u18 has been released, but I have not installed it yet.)

EDIT

The program doesn't work on Java 5 anymore, but probably that is intentional.

During my tests I also noticed that for some reason the older version, 0.52b, started to work correctly on Java 6 after I completely uninstalled Java 5 and Java 6 and reinstalled 6u17. This was on another PC that has had the automatic Java updates enabled for years. The installed Java 5 build was not the latest because at some stage the updater started to maintain the version 6. Apparently the automatic Java updater doesn't remove the previous version when it installs a newer version and apparently that can affect the newer version's functionality.

Reply #19
It first occurred to me now that rpp3po clean up restricted the version to JRE 1.6+. I think it should at least be 1.5 compatible which my build was. OS X 10.4 does not support JRE 1.6 code.

Reply #21
Latest 10.4.11 is 2 years old.

Reply #22
Saving seems to work fine, but it seems to always hang when a saved config or session is opened.

It hangs on "Loading Samples". The Please Wait message window can't be closed.

I can confirm that it hangs at this place on Java 6 update 18 on Windows 7.

Version 0.52b that Alex has posted together with two samples does not exhibit this problem. Playing the sounds work, so far I could not hear any clicks. Saving the results is also possible and the program exits cleanly after saving the session.

Reply #23
Could someone upload a session, that fails? A test session with two wav files works fine here. Additionally the program's output on the command line could help, after you have started it with "java -jar abchr.jar".

Reply #24
I have used the test samples and configuration from this post by Alex B. That zip file does not contain a session file, if you need this I could upload.

I created a zip file of the original test package from the 128 kbps MP3 test including the two first sample packages. I also included my encrypted result files of the same two samples and the key file so that you try them (the key was released after the test was finished).

http://cid-138ca589c542aeee.skydrive.live..../128MP3test.zip  (8.6 MB)

I have unpacked the zip files contained in 128MP3test.zip in order to create the required directory structure. From there I have selected sample01.ecf which I can load and use fine in 0.52b, as stated above.

Starting up your abchr.jar gives the following error message. Nothing is added when a config is loaded and the application freezes.

Does this help?

Code: [Select]
java.io.FileNotFoundException: clicodecs.cfg (The system cannot find the file sp
ecified)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at abchr.settings.DecoderSettings.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Sou
rce)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at abchr.gui.ProjectFrame.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        at abchr.gui.Main.main(Unknown Source)