Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 2 Kernel Streaming Output Plugin (Read 437607 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 2 Kernel Streaming Output Plugin

Reply #125
Thanks for the update, Steve.

One thing that I noticed right away with gapless playback enabled: when music is playing, and you hit next, an error message is produced and WinAmp crashes.

"Unable to create output pin"

Other than that it seems great so far! Keep up the good work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, that's very strange, I haven't seen that at all, in fact, that's the last thing I'd expect because with Gapless turned on it shouldn't destroy the output filter when changing tracks (normally it will destroy and recreate the output filter). The message you are getting occurs when creating the output filter fails, as the filter isn't normally being destroyed and recreated in gapless mode that shouldn't be happening between tracks.

In gapless mode, the filter will only get recreated if the music format changes or Winamp stops passing music to the plugin long enough for the buffers to run out (at which point the filter gets destroyed to stop any unwanted audible effects).

Can you give me a little more detail about what's going on, particularly the following points;

What kind of CPU and Sound Card do you have?

What have you got the buffers set to (sizes and number of)?

After starting playback but before pressing Next have you altered any Kernel Streaming settings or have you switched output plugins?

Do the adjacent tracks have the same format (i.e. sample rate, number of channels, sample size)?

With the Kernel Streaming status window open, can you describe the behaviour of the buffer usage indicator? Does it hit full? Does it hit empty? How often? That kind of thing.

What other applications (if any) are you running at the same time?

I've tried to recreate this problem without success on three computers, admittedly they're all reasonably fast (2.4GHz, 2.8GHz and Dual 3.0GHz) the only similar thing I've seen is a crash when track skipping while paused and I can only get that to happen on one of the above computers (that was with V3.3 anyway).

Anyway, if you can answer the above points and give me any more relevant information you can think of it may help to shed some light on the problem.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #126
Hi steve,

I'm also getting a 'Unable to create output pin' - preceeded by a NULL pointer exception.

This is happenning when playing a from a 16bit (i think) file to a 4bit file in gapless mode. The 4bit file can be played from stopped, but not when already playing.

As I'm a programmer I'll post up some code.

Code: [Select]
    pin = filter->CreateRenderPin(&wfx.Format, FALSE);

if (!pin)
    {
    // driver can't handle WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE, so fall back to
    // WAVEFORMATEX format descriptor and try again
    wfx.Format.wFormatTag = WAVE_FORMAT_PCM;
    // set unused members to zero
    wfx.Format.cbSize = 0;
    wfx.Samples.wValidBitsPerSample = 0;
    wfx.dwChannelMask = 0;
    wfx.SubFormat = GUID_NULL;

pin = filter->CreateRenderPin(&wfx.Format, FALSE);   <---------
    }

if (!pin)
    {
 MessageBox(hwnd, "Unable to create output pin", "Error!", MB_OK);
 return FALSE;
    }

This line fails to create the 'pin' when in gapless mode, but not when stopped. As 'pin' is left NULL the player thread then dies a horrible death .

Hi, that's very strange, I haven't seen that at all, in fact, that's the last thing I'd expect because with Gapless turned on it shouldn't destroy the output filter when changing tracks (normally it will destroy and recreate the output filter).

As I read it, from your code, it will always try to recreate 'pin' even in gapless mode if the format changes:

Code: [Select]
int KSCore::StartInternal(int samplerate, int numchannels, int bitspersamp)

switch(bitspersamp)
    {
    case 20:
 MessageBox(hwnd, "20 bit audio is not currently supported", "Error!", MB_OK);
 return -1;

case 24:
 if (numchannels == 2) {
     wfx.Format.wBitsPerSample = 32;
     wfx.Format.nBlockAlign    = 8;
 }
 else if (numchannels == 1) {
     wfx.Format.wBitsPerSample = 32;
     wfx.Format.nBlockAlign    = 4;
 }
 else {
     MessageBox(hwnd, "Only 1 or 2 channels is supported for 24 bit playback.", "Error!", MB_OK);
     return -1;
 }
 break;

default:
 break;
    }

// Gapless enhancement
    if (mode == MODE_STARTED) {    // already playing
 if (config->gapless_enabled) {
     if (0 == memcmp(&wfx_cur,&wfx,sizeof(WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE))) {
   should_be_playing = TRUE;
   return 1000;    // no format change detected, so just carry on
     }

}
 else
     End();
    }

if (!OpenOutput(wfx)) { <------ gets run if there is a format change even in gapless mode.
 return -1;
    }
}

This is not realy much of a problem as I dont spend my time listenning to 4bit music , but if it could fail more gacefully .

As a side note I see that you dont have 'pin' very thread safe. You are continously accessing it in your playig thread, but you also reasign it in your OpenOutput function. It doesnt seem to cause any problems on the other hand though....

[I'm assumming your using the Release CFG profile here for compiling, if your not disraguard the following....]
Do you know you have the _DEBUG macro set rather than the _NDEBUG in your release cfg profile (could cause use of debug functions etc) and you have the linker producing debug info in your DLL (47kb in release vs 264kb in release CFG).

Hope this helps.

Reply #127
Hi Ani47, thanks for the report.

Yes, you are right, it will recreate the pin and , for that matter, the whole filter if the format changes, even in gapless mode (in which case it wont actually be gapless) I was hinting at that in my questions for Schmittly.

I didn't actually test this case as I don't have much music knocking around that isn't sourced from CD's so it's quite possible that my handling of the filter deletion and recreation in this instance may be flawed, particularly when you throw the player threads automatic filter deletion if it empties the buffer into the mix.

As I've been running it flawlessly all week both here and at work without any hint of a problem, but always with the same sound format, it's highly likely that this is the source of Schmitty's problem too.

As for your other points, I'll take a look at Release CFG. I wasn't aware that debug info was getting into the DLL, but I am getting a different sized dll to what you are (136KB).

With regards to the thread safe status of the plugin, excepting for possible mistakes, it should be inherently safe due to the way it's been designed.

Ignoring the issue with gapless, the player thread should never access Pin until Pin has been set up from the Winamp thread because it is asleep. Only once the Pin has been created will data be sent to the player thread, subsequently waking it up. Conversely, before the Winamp thread deletes the Pin it waits until the player thread has returned to a sleeping state, so access to Pin from the player thread should be safe. In addition, Pin is never accessed from the Winamp thread other than to create and delete it. Other than that, the only additional communication between the two threads are a couple of flags that are set in specific orders and a few Events.

Having said that, I certainly seem to have buggered something up with this gapless mode, so something is amiss. I'm rather beginning to wish I'd left the "experimental" label on the button now 

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback, it's nice to know it was worthwhile posting the code, I'll try and sort out this format change issue later in the week, hopefully it's the same problem as Schmitty is getting.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #128
Cool, I thought that might be the case with the thread safety of 'pin'. Unfortunatly my knowleadge of thread synchronisation doesn't go much past EnterCriticalSection(), etc...

Keep up the good work .

edit:

The size difference in the DLL's could be down to the fact I'm running vs 2005, so it might put in more debug info.

Reply #129
Steve,

I love the continual work and I would like to try out v3.4, but I've had some "technical difficulties" of late.  I thought that perhaps you guys would have an answer as to how I can prevent the following in the future:

I run winamp and several other programs from my portable 200GB hard drive, which also stores my music collection.  The other morning I was transcoding some flac files to wavpack lossy to test out playback on my Palm using TCPMP.  Anyway, while that was going, I opened up winamp to download some podcasts with the new wire plugin.  Before opening winamp, however, I had copied in your new out_ks v3.4 and deleted the older out_ks v3.3 (which was the selected output method when winamp was last run).  So, winamp opened up and, since I have Dr0's Time Restore and Autoplay plugin installed and activated, automatically tried to play what was previously in my playlist.  An error popped up with something like "can't find output pin" or perhaps it was "plugin" or "device" instead of "pin".  So, I close the warning dialog and it keeps popping up because it's trying to play the next songs in the playlist.  Somewhere between trying to stop the player before going to the next song and closing the multiple warning dialogs, winamp crashed - and so did all of my other programs running from my portable hard drive (foobar, portable firefox) and they shut down instantly.

So I tried accessing my portable hard drive in windows explore and I notice that the drive's name has changed back to "local disk" and now I get an error something like "cannot access device.  file or folder is corrupt" and other various disheartening errors when accessing the drive in various ways.  I searched around on the net to find out how to fix it and it seems to the only way is to use data recovery programs (e.g., Runtime's GetBackData for NTFS) to copy off files, reformat, and then put the files back on the drive - which is a quite painful process for a large drive even halfway full.

So, I'm not blaming this plugin, or anything rash like that.  I was just wondering if you had any insight as to why this happened so I can avoid this in the future.

Thanks for the support.

Reply #130
Hi Gabes Dad.

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems, from what you've described it sounds like you've been hit with a really unfortunate sequence of events.

As Winamp uses the plugin filename to keep track of which output plugin it was last using, if you have deleted the plugin that was previously selected and simply copied in the new one, then, when you restart it, Winamp will not be able to find its currently selected plugin and will pop up the message;

"Can't find output plug-in"

every time it attempts to play a track until you select a new output plugin in Winamps config (I've just tried it here). So, in this instance, it wouldn't have been using the new plugin because it hadn't been selected. To avoid this sort of situation in future, I would recommend installing the new plugin and checking it works correctly before deleting the older one.

Why Winamp and your other programs crashed at this point, I don't know as Winamp seems to be pretty stable in this "missing plugin" sort of scenario.

Several programs disappearing at once is also something I've never come across before, at least, not without Windows rebooting itself (it didn't do that did it?) and for something to take out your drive as well is a somewhat surprising thing to happen.

I wouldn't have been too surprised if you'd got a couple of corrupt files (such as the ones being encoded at the time of the crash) but to lose the drive because of a software failure is pretty unusual, I just hope you've not experienced some kind of hardware failure with your drive. A bit of a coincidence I know, but from what you've described it sounds like something more than just a Winamp problem.

I'm sorry I can't be more insightful, but it's not a sort of problem I've ever encountered. I've had drives fail on me in various strange ways over the years but never anything quite like this.

I sincerely hope you can recover your files, personally, I'm so paranoid about this sort of thing happening on my media server because of how long it took to get all of my albums onto it in the first place, that I have an external drive for the sole purpose of periodically backing up the primary media drive, just in case!

Hope you sort it out,
regards,
Steve

Reply #132
Howdy, just a little feedback.. It seems to be working fine.

Running
Windows XP MCE.
nVidia nForce2 Soundstorm out via Digital Coax to Logitech Z-680's.

Was using DirectSound with Hardware acceleration.

Havent noticed any real difference in the audio. Perhaps I only have >192kbit MP3's to test. Or maybe that I wouldnt notice much of a difference anyway.

Just thought I'd let you know, not that it matters any.

Thanks for the effort!

Reply #133
Hi all, I've just posted a new version which should hopefully fix the problems people were experiencing with Gapless Mode. The new version (3.5) can be found here - details of the fixes can be found in the readme. If the people who were experiencing problems with 3.4's Gapless Mode could let me know if this update has solved those problems, then that would be great. As usual, although I do attempt to ensure that the plugin is as stable as possible, use of this plugin is entirely at your own risk.

All feedback, both good and bad is welcome.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #134
Hi Steve,
    The old plug-in by Chun-Yu used to work fine with this resampling plug-in but new version do not. Can you please look into this? Thanks!!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363222"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Manish, the plugin seems to work fine for me in conjunction with the resampling one you linked to, the only thing I had to do was increase the input buffer size to 32K in my plugin to stop it stuttering (you can do this on the config page for my plugin), leave the output buffer size and count as low as you can get away with.

It does seem to upset the gapless mode a bit (not disastrously, it just stops being gapless) although an even bigger input buffer may resolve this (but I didn't try this).

Let me know how you get on. If you still have problems can you send me your settings for the resampling plugin plus a bit more of a description of the problem you are experiencing and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Steve

Reply #135
Howdy, just a little feedback.. It seems to be working fine.

Running
Windows XP MCE.
nVidia nForce2 Soundstorm out via Digital Coax to Logitech Z-680's.

Was using DirectSound with Hardware acceleration.

Havent noticed any real difference in the audio. Perhaps I only have >192kbit MP3's to test. Or maybe that I wouldnt notice much of a difference anyway.

Just thought I'd let you know, not that it matters any.

Thanks for the effort!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363451"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the feedback, glad it's working okay.

Whether or not Kernel Streaming will improve your sound quality depends on several factors;

The quality of your source material - 192K MP3's may not exhibit much of a benefit.

If your sound card forces resampling as my old Terratec Aureon card did, then Kernel Streaming will probably have no noticable effect.

The quality of the rest of your replay chain (decoder, amp, speakers) has to be pretty good to hear the small improvement that Kernel Streaming can bring.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Steve

Reply #136
I use an E-MU 1820M soundcard and Tapco S8 monitor speakers and I notice the difference alot. Specially in the high end.

Reply #137
I use an E-MU 1820M soundcard and Tapco S8 monitor speakers and I notice the difference alot. Specially in the high end.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363496"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On my own HiFi system (Tag McLaren AV32R, Bryston 4BSST Amp and B&W Nautilus 804 speakers) without Kernel Streaming, there is some noticable but difficult to quantify difference between SPDIF from my DVD Transport (a Tag McLaren DVD32FLR) and SPDIF from my computer. With someone else switching the inputs I can pick out which is which pretty much every time.

With Kernel Streaming enabled, I can't tell the two apart. Playing the same material synced up at the start they sound identical - which is great as I was never quite satisfied with the sound beforehand, so I kept falling back to playing CD's on the DVD32FLR rather than my media PC. Now I'm perfectly happy to use the media PC all the time and, as a bonus, I no longer have to get up to change discs. Just need to sort the fan noise out now and I'll be happy.

Steve

Reply #138
If your sound card forces resampling as my old Terratec Aureon card did, then Kernel Streaming will probably have no noticable effect.
What Aureon model are you refering to? Currently i'm using an Terratec Aureon Space and as far as i can tell it does'nt force upsampling. The Creative Audigy series (as we all know) does which is why i exchanged it for the Terratec back then.

Currently i'm assembling my next machine for which i choosed a Creative product again. Based on the many very good reviews i picked an Xi-Fi Xtreme Musician (what a title). The Xi-Fi series has optional upsampling (you can switch it on/off).

Regards,
deus-ex

Reply #139
What Aureon model are you refering to? Currently i'm using an Terratec Aureon Space and as far as i can tell it does'nt force upsampling. The Creative Audigy series (as we all know) does which is why i exchanged it for the Terratec back then.

Currently i'm assembling my next machine for which i choosed a Creative product again. Based on the many very good reviews i picked an Xi-Fi Xtreme Musician (what a title). The Xi-Fi series has optional upsampling (you can switch it on/off).

Regards,
deus-ex
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363583"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It was a Terratec Aureon Fun 5.1. With the control software you could set the frequency of the SPDIF output, so I had it set to 44.1KHz. With this card I couldn't get my AV32R to recognise any HDCD bitstreams as anything other than regular PCM, even with Kernel Streaming (using Chun Yu's original plugin) so it was definitely messing with the bitstream in some way.

When I fitted the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 the AV32R locked on immediately to the HDCD encoding (using KS), but the KS plugin, in conjunction with this card crashed Windows too often to be usable - this is what prompted me to look into reworking the plugin.

Did you ever try the HDCD via SPDIF decoding test with your Terratec card?

Regards,
Steve

Reply #140
If the people who were experiencing problems with 3.4's Gapless Mode could let me know if this update has solved those problems, then that would be great.

Sorry I could not get back to you earlier with my machine setup.  I tried the 3.5 version and the gapless no longer crashes winamp!  I did notice that gapless mode isn't entirely gapless, while watching the status thing the player thread state goes to sleep for a split second.  I went back and forth several times between gapless and non and I really can't tell the difference (in terms of the length of the gap). 

Just incase you need to know some info:
A64 3200+, 1GB ram, chaintec AV710 flashed to Prodigy 7.1 (I only use the toslink out).

input buffer set to 64, output 8, number of output buffers is 8.

not running any programs that use a significant amount of cpu time.

Reply #141
Hi Schmitty, thanks for the response.

Looking at your setup I'd try reducing the number of output buffers to 2, this should reduce the likelihood of the input buffer running out between tracks - which is what sends the output thread to sleep.

Also, if your tracks were ripped with Winamp they wont play gaplessly as Winamp tends to grab a little bit of the previous track at the start of each new one. I've had to regrab several albums (mainly 70's concept stuff and Dance mixes where the tracks mix into one another) with EAC since adding this feature to the plugin.

If all that fails, are you using any other plugins upstream (the resampler mentioned a few posts back seems to disturb gapless playback a little) and what format are your tracks in (I've tested it with wav's and wv's but not mp3 or wma). Also, if the format changes between tracks then that will foil the gapless mode.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
Steve

Reply #142
Did you ever try the HDCD via SPDIF decoding test with your Terratec card?
No. Went googling for HDCD to find that I have no experience on that field, i don't have any HDCD mastered recordings either which are required for testing.

Regards,
deus-ex

Reply #143
No. Went googling for HDCD to find that I have no experience on that field, i don't have any HDCD mastered recordings either which are required for testing.

Regards,
deus-ex
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363784"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it's a pretty reliable test to find out if your bitstream is being mangled in any way as the slightest change in the bitstream will prevent HDCD detection. Of course, that's assuming your processor can decode HDCD in the first place.

Personally I'm rather dubious about the sonic benefits of HDCD (20 bit sample resolution from a 16 bit stream? Hmmm.). By enabling the volume control in the KS plugin and dropping the volume down to 99% I can prevent my Tag processor from successfully detecting the HDCD encoding, so it just drops back into straight LPCM. Comparing the two, I can't personally tell any difference (even the volume difference between 100% and 99% is pretty much imperceptible). To be fair though, the handful of CD's I have that are HDCD encoded all sound very good (either with or without the correct decoding).

Regards,
Steve

Reply #144
Hi Schmitty, thanks for the response.

-reducing the number of output buffers to 2
-ripped with Winamp they wont play gaplessly
-plugins upstream
-format

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363667"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Steve, I reduced the output buffers to 2 and the transition is now noticeably quicker, about as fast as I would expect is possible.  All the material that I have ripped myself is from EAC (lame -aps), so that wasn't the issue for me.

I'm very grateful for the effort you have put into developing a supporting this plugin, its very useful to me and I'm sure many others.

Reply #145
Hi Steve,
    The old plug-in by Chun-Yu used to work fine with this resampling plug-in but new version do not. Can you please look into this? Thanks!!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363222"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Manish, the plugin seems to work fine for me in conjunction with the resampling one you linked to, the only thing I had to do was increase the input buffer size to 32K in my plugin to stop it stuttering (you can do this on the config page for my plugin), leave the output buffer size and count as low as you can get away with.

It does seem to upset the gapless mode a bit (not disastrously, it just stops being gapless) although an even bigger input buffer may resolve this (but I didn't try this).

Let me know how you get on. If you still have problems can you send me your settings for the resampling plugin plus a bit more of a description of the problem you are experiencing and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363491"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Steve, It is still not working. I have tried various settings of input and output buffers. Here is my configuration -
Windows XP SP2
Soundblaster Live 24 bit! (also happens with on-board audio)
Winamp 5.12 with stock mp3 decoder (I tried mpg123 decoder also but still same result)
Playing mp3s

The moment I double click on a song in Winamp, it crashes. It's not a big deal if I can't use the resampling plugin. Just something nice to have. Thanks!!

Reply #146
Hi Steve, It is still not working. I have tried various settings of input and output buffers. Here is my configuration -
Windows XP SP2
Winamp 5.12 with stock mp3 decoder (I tried mpg123 decoder also but still same result)
Playing mp3s

The moment I double click on a song in Winamp, it crashes. It's not a big deal if I can't use the resampling plugin. Just something nice to have. Thanks!!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364110"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The more details you can give me, the more chance I have to recreate / diagnose the problem. The following would be useful;

What settings have you got the resampling plugin set to (frequency, sample size and so on)?

When it crashes do you get an error message or the standard Windows error message or does Windows itself crash?

What speed of CPU does your computer have?

How Much memory do you have?

Have you tried anything other than MP3's (e.g. WAV's, WV's,WMA and so on)?

Regards,
Steve

Reply #147
Thank you Steve, I reduced the output buffers to 2 and the transition is now noticeably quicker, about as fast as I would expect is possible.  All the material that I have ripped myself is from EAC (lame -aps), so that wasn't the issue for me.

I'm very grateful for the effort you have put into developing a supporting this plugin, its very useful to me and I'm sure many others.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364105"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah! MP3's! I'm not sure if it will work perfectly with MP3's due to the packet granularity, in other words, I think MP3 encoders can add a brief bit of silence at the end of the track to pad the number of samples to fill the last packet.

I'm using it with losslessly compressed .WV's and it is truly gapless. When I get a chance, I'll convert some of these over to MP3 and see if they still play gaplessly.

Regards,
Steve

Reply #148
Windows XP SP2
Playing mp3s

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364110"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The more details you can give me, the more chance I have to recreate / diagnose the problem. The following would be useful;

What settings have you got the resampling plugin set to (frequency, sample size and so on)?

When it crashes do you get an error message or the standard Windows error message or does Windows itself crash?

What speed of CPU does your computer have?

How Much memory do you have?

Have you tried anything other than MP3's (e.g. WAV's, WV's,WMA and so on)?

Regards,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have set the resampling plugin like this -
output - 16 bit
Kernel precision - 100
resampling rate - 48k
computer RAM - 512 MB
The PC is a Dell box (Optiplex GX260)
The processor is P4.
I have tried ogg files also but still the same. I have taken a screenshot of Winamp. Will send it to you thru PM. Thanks!!

Reply #149
Hey thanks for the plugin.  I think i found a bug with the gapless mode on.  When I play a song and let it play to the next song, the current time display and slider posiiton don't start at 0:00 for the new track, it starts at where the first track left off.  For example a 0:40 track followed by a 6:23 track.  The first track will play and gaplessly transition to the second track, but the current time display will read 0:40, 0:41 etc when the second track starts to play and continue up.  The posiiton slider also is in the poition it should be for 0:40, 0:41, but the sound is only one or two seconds into the track. This dosn't seem to happen when turning gapless mode off.

Win XP SP2
Winamp 5.13
out_ks35.dll
playing flac
chaintech AV 7-10
"Monkey see, monkey do, yeah."  David J. Matthews