Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD Ripping: Illegal? (Read 18277 times) previous topic - next topic

CD Ripping: Illegal?

Reply #50
This soft's sold legally... official site, etc.

Reply #51
In the UK it is strictly speaking illegal however they do not actively enforce the law.

How could it be enforced, unless police break down doors and search homes?

I know they'd find a bag of old cassettes in my attic, gently breaking down as they are exposed to huge variations of heat and cold each year. I must take them to the recycling centre/dump before I'm jailed!!

Reply #52
My stand is that a CD that is blatantly violating standards are 'damaged', by definition.

Therefore my attempt of reading such a CD, regardless of copy-protection, falls under 'repair' category, by definition.

The U.S DMCA was just recently amended to deal with exemptions like that. I added in the wiki under Legal reference in the HA Community Portal. It doesn't have to do so much with ripping then it does with "copyright laws", on a similiar note a lot of people would argue that DRM doesn't help competition, but rather hinders it. There are some cases were it is an effective business model, however despite the fact. It's a necessary evil in sometimes. It really depends on circumstances. Some DRM is more then evil.
budding I.T professional