Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M30 vs. ATH-M50? (Read 8346 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M30 vs. ATH-M50?

Hi, I'm new here. 

I've had a pair of M30's for a few years, and they are the best headphones that I've ever owned by far. They've sold me on Audio Technica as a brand, and I'm considering upgrading to a pair of M50's.

Could someone here who has owned both give a comparison of the two?

To anyone else who's owned M30's, do you own better headphones that you could recommend (within the same price range of the M50's, $159.00 on Amazon) that aren't necessarily AT?

I'm still pretty new to this audiophile business, but I've browsed these forums a few times. I'd also like to hear what y'all think of AT as a brand. I haven't really seen much mention of it (Sennheiser seems to be fairly popular here, also Grado), but it's not like I'm scouring the boards.

Thanks, future posters.

Reply #1
Hi, I'm new here. 

I've had a pair of M30's for a few years, and they are the best headphones that I've ever owned by far. They've sold me on Audio Technica as a brand, and I'm considering upgrading to a pair of M50's.

Could someone here who has owned both give a comparison of the two?

To anyone else who's owned M30's, do you own better headphones that you could recommend (within the same price range of the M50's, $159.00 on Amazon) that aren't necessarily AT?

I'm still pretty new to this audiophile business, but I've browsed these forums a few times. I'd also like to hear what y'all think of AT as a brand. I haven't really seen much mention of it (Sennheiser seems to be fairly popular here, also Grado), but it's not like I'm scouring the boards.

I bought a pair of M40s for my wife to use at the office. Listened to them at home (where the M50s are) before I let them leave the house.

The money for the M50s was IME well spent.  That all said, the people at the office think that the M40s are wonderful.  They've never heard the M50s...

Reply #2
M50's all the way. Not because of the model number difference, but because they just sound better in my opinion. I can't really describe it that well, but the M30's just sound "cheaper" than the M50's.

Reply #3
@ Arnold: That's nice. I've haven't seen M40's; are they a somewhat older model?

@d_headshot: Man, if the M50's can make the M30's sound cheap, that's just . . . wow. I'll be buying a pair of them in a hurry, it seems.

Reply #4
@ Arnold: That's nice. I've haven't seen M40's; are they a somewhat older model?

@d_headshot: Man, if the M50's can make the M30's sound cheap, that's just . . . wow. I'll be buying a pair of them in a hurry, it seems.

I didn't mean they sound "cheap." Just not as good as the M50's