Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flake in foobar.. (Read 2933 times) previous topic - next topic

Flake in foobar..

So i got love for the flake codec and i want to experiment with it especially levels 10, 11 and 12.
But when i download the latest release on Justin website and put it in foobar and set these parameters : -q -5 - -o %d
Then i always get an error message for my 24bit 48khz files (i tried 16bit to its just the same) and thats not the issue since the latest flake codec also supports 32bit and 24bit.
So im guessing i needing a whole new parameter or something in that parameter is off the hook...
Could please someone give me the right or correct parameter for the latest flake codec please ?

Re: Flake in foobar..

Reply #1
 -q -5 %s -o %d

Reply #2
-q -5 %s -o %d

Thanks man ! goin to try it today hope its goin to work just fine this time. Strange thing is the parameter i posted works just fine for libFlake but not for the official Flake codec.
And another last thing, can you also help me with a parameter for TAK but with keeping the raw md5 audio data if thats possible in foobar because the parameter i got is without keeping md5 raw audio data (CRC Checksum)
Foobar produces tak files without the md5 checksum crc so is there a way to add it in the parameter and how would it look like ?
Thanks so much for your help in advance im happy i can finally create flake files in foobar :-).

Reply #3
If you are experimenting, you should play with LossyFlac also. Try to ABX that :)

You gain a lot more file shrink using that, but remember to use the right blocksize and don't forget it technically is a lossy codec, but virtually inaudible.

PS. Flake is quite old now and as far as I can see there is no maintenance going on. in 4 days it turn 9 years old. Do you really want to use this?

Reply #4
If you are experimenting, you should play with LossyFlac also. Try to ABX that :)

You gain a lot more file shrink using that, but remember to use the right blocksize and don't forget it technically is a lossy codec, but virtually inaudible.

PS. Flake is quite old now and as far as I can see there is no maintenance going on. in 4 days it turn 9 years old. Do you really want to use this?

How can i make legit LossyFLAC files in foobar ?
LossyWAV also uses 24bit and 48khz sample rates ?
I want to try this also can you guide me through it how to do it?
Thanks in advance for the information.

Reply #6
IIRC flake doesn't support LossyWAV

Reply #7

Yes im aware of that fact but thanks for pointing that out.

This is what i read on the official FLAC website :
Lossy. FLAC is intended for lossless compression only, as there are many good lossy formats already, such as Vorbis, MPC, and MP3 (see LAME for an excellent open-source implementation)

So this basicly means when using lossywav the files are lossless when converting them back to WAV files ?
Also i find out LossyFLAC is not so compitable with Blu ray players as i burned a data Bluray disc the normal flac it plays fine but the lossyflac got pauses into the songs when playing maybe becaus eits more highly compressed then normal?
My laptop just plays them fine without pauses throughout the song.

Reply #8

Yes im aware of that fact but thanks for pointing that out.

This is what i read on the official FLAC website :
Lossy. FLAC is intended for lossless compression only, as there are many good lossy formats already, such as Vorbis, MPC, and MP3 (see LAME for an excellent open-source implementation)

So this basicly means when using lossywav the files are lossless when converting them back to WAV files ?
Also i find out LossyFLAC is not so compitable with Blu ray players as i burned a data Bluray disc the normal flac it plays fine but the lossyflac got pauses into the songs when playing maybe becaus eits more highly compressed then normal?
My laptop just plays them fine without pauses throughout the song.

LossyFLAC is just a processor that outputs perfectly normal WAV files, no special decoding needed. Only thing that differs is de blocksize. Try to encode a normal wave with this small blocksize, I guess that this will give the same problems, a flaw in the BD player.