Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OPUS vs WMA - Which one sounds better ? (Read 2684 times) previous topic - next topic

OPUS vs WMA - Which one sounds better ?

I need a clear information which one sounds better??
OPUS or WMA ??

I have a lot of songs in FLAC. I need to convert those files.

Re: OPUS vs WMA - Which one sounds better ?

Reply #2
WMA is a more than 20 year old format that hasn't been developed in over 15 years. It's not likely to be the best at anything.

Reply #3
I mean, is WMA even better than "state of the art" mp3 at this point (which really hasn't advanced much if at all in the last 10+ years either)

Reply #4
Indeed, the best thing you could do is your own listening test at a given bitrate. As Opus is an open codec and developed actively and WMA is proprietary and not developed anymore, my advice is to not even consider WMA. But I am of course not familiar with you own considerations/use cases.

Reply #5
Opus is the best at low bitrates. At mid-high bitrates they should perform similarly. Opus is quite a standard today and widely compatible. WMA is pretty much dead and being phased out.

Reply #7
Why would an end-user encode to WMA by now? Must be if they have some hardware (an in-car unit?) that doesn't support anything else?

Reply #8
Even then I suspect you're probably better off with mp3